+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, The occasional perk in General; As teachers get younger and less have class D on their licence, I'm having to do more minibus driving. Usually, ...

Thank Post

The occasional perk

As teachers get younger and less have class D on their licence, I'm having to do more minibus driving. Usually, it's to football matches and the like but today I took some Y7 kids to :Worcester 6th Form College to see their performance of Miss Saigon. There are some talented kids out there and it was excellent. A great afternoon out.

Thank Post
    Good stuff, I'm still trying to get the school to pay for me to do my Class C. They moan like noones business about not having drivers and won't fork out £800 for me to be a driver

Thank Post
    im going on a trip on monday XD to london dungons and my boss has to stay and look after the network on his own :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bushby View Post
    im going on a trip on monday XD to london dungons and my boss has to stay and look after the network on his own :P
    Yes.. you go and have fun... while the rest of us stay here and work hard

Thank Post
    My colleague helped out on a trip yesterday to Manchester Airport, he even got to go up into the control tower! The school has bought insurance allowing staff to take kids in their own cars for trips when there are sufficiently small numbers.

In my previous job I helped out on a sixth form trip, the teacher in charge managed to rig the risk assessment to allow them to drive themselves to the venue. So I was in my own car on my own, and I got to go round a Fujitsu data centre.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Heh, I have every license apart from full coach and road roller. I'm also a qualified skid, cross county and recovery instructor (interesting past). At my first school I offered to drive the minibus when they were short handed and told that 'I want qualified enough or a teacher'. Ah well.
    I also have extensive driving experience in Jungles, deserts, alpine (spent a winter driving large minibuses for skiers in the Alps) and used to drive one of the largest trucks in Europe for a living.

Thank Post
    at the end of last term I was asked to go on the school residential trip as an extra male (only 3 males in school) as one had a class to teach and the other was the head.

I was regretting saying yes but it was lots of fun and somehow only the nice kids payed up to go!

It was my birthday on the last day of the trip too which made for some interesting presents from the teachers and kids!

Thank Post
    I managed to go to the Doctor who exhibition with the children which was awesome as well as visiting the BBC centre with another group. So yeah the occasional perk does come up.

Edit: I forgot to add I went and saw the lion king Musical with the kids as well !
    Last edited by north-ict; 13th December 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    Good stuff, I'm still trying to get the school to pay for me to do my Class C. They moan like noones business about not having drivers and won't fork out £800 for me to be a driver
    This is going to come back and haunt them. Although I think the rules might be relaxed for schools. I think this is already happening for volunteer run organisations like Scouts and Army Cadets.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Heh, I have every license apart from full coach and road roller. I'm also a qualified skid, cross county and recovery instructor (interesting past). At my first school I offered to drive the minibus when they were short handed and told that 'I want qualified enough or a teacher'. Ah well.
    I also have extensive driving experience in Jungles, deserts, alpine (spent a winter driving large minibuses for skiers in the Alps) and used to drive one of the largest trucks in Europe for a living.
    I can sense an Edu-RoadTrip coming up...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 828 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I can sense an Edu-RoadTrip coming up...
    "Dude, where's my EduGeek?"

12. Thanks to ZeroHour from:

synaesthesia (13th December 2012)

Thank Post
    My family own a coach company and I am in the process of gaining my PCV (been driving around the yard since I was 12, just being lazy which is why I haven't passed yet) ... this will automatically cover me to drive the school minibus, which may be handy at some point ... but the problem is that I have to be 21 to take MIDAS, which apparently is something that our insurance require us to have.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread