+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Cinema - Confused!!! in General; Cheers guys. Great advice and information as usual! I think I'll go down the amp route and get a couple ...
    Thank Post
    Cheers guys. Great advice and information as usual!
    I think I'll go down the amp route and get a couple of floor speakers to start. Home Alone at christmas is going to rock even harder!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    No need to be scrounging around for second hand with that budget.

Sony PAH01844 | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers including Blu-ray Player | Richer Sounds
    If you don't need a bluray player, that Yamaha kit is going for 180: Yamaha YHT196 Black | 5.1 Package System inc Speakers excluding DVD Player | Richer Sounds

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Cheers guys. Great advice and information as usual!
    I think I'll go down the amp route and get a couple of floor speakers to start. Home Alone at christmas is going to rock even harder!!!
    I was going to mention this. This is the very best way of getting in to decent sound. Buy the Receiver and some floor standers enjoy your games in a full stereo sound then buy additional speakers when budget allows. A decent stereo setup will blow away most 5.1 sub sat combo.

Thank Post
    I bypass my TV audio completely and plug my Virgin box straight into my cinema system with an SP/DIF optical cable. The amp is a Sherwood RD6102 (I think, ages since I looked at it, it's about 12 years old now), it looks like this, http://ec1.images-amazon.com/media/i...L000022881.pdf from the front, but probably got lots less on the back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Good find, just be aware that one has only 3 HDMI - fine for now with your PC, Media Centre and PS3, but no room for expansion...

If your budget can stretch, this looks to be a fantastic bundle to get you started: Creative Audio CA-HC1-BB Home Cinema System (Onkyo TX-NR414 Black + Boston SoundWare XS 5.1 SE Gloss Black + Free 110 cable bundle + Free 9 page Creative Audio Quickstart Guide). 2 Year Guarantee + Free next working day delivery (most mainland UK ad
    depending on the device you can cheat that one ive gt he digibox/wii plugged direct to tv and still use the amp for speakers (but ps3/xbox/laptop as for some reason flash wont play if i direct hdmi to tv will if i go via amp) might help its all sont which also means esp with the ps3 one remote to rule them all lol

Thank Post
    Would having 4 decent floor standing speaker mean that there's no need for a sub woofer?

Thank Post
    You're better off having Dipole Speakers at the rear as that audio is designed to be non-directional. I which case I would recommend a sub.

btw Sub placement trick! Put your subwoofer where you sit and walk around until you get the best sound then trade places.

I bought bookself speakers for the rear and they're good but my dads dipoles work much better.

Thank Post
    Would having 4 decent floor standing speaker mean that there's no need for a sub woofer?
    depends on the speakers and how much base you like. Ive done without for years relying on the front/centre speakers for base

Thank Post
    Yes and no! It's probably a bit of a waste to have floor standers as rears. Regardless of anything else, it will also be more of a load for the amp to drive. A 5.1 soundtrack may be sending a dedicated track to the sub, and a decent sub will go lower than most floor standers and have it's own amp (they can be difficult loads to drive). That said, an AV processor may mix it in and spit it out to whatever you have plugged in.

Thank Post
    I think that you may need a bit more in terms of your budget as i found i used to have a 5:1 surround sound Sony HT setup and thought it was the dogs until i discovered doing it properly. I have the Sony STRDH520 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds Av reciever and spent another 100 on an active sub and WOW! what a difference that made!
    I'm now able to rattle the whole house when Batman is on rather than a few glasses in the same room.
    I'm still using the poor old tall boys for the surrounds, but they do the job until i can afford better ones.

Thank Post
    I've got floor-standing front and bookshelf rear speakers. There's a huge difference if I switch the sub off, although I never noticed the lack of a sub until I got one, if you know what I mean.

Another +1 for Richer Sounds, got it all from there in 2001.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    Another +1 for Richer Sounds, got it all from there in 2001.
    ditto bought all sorts from them over the years and never had any issues. Bought a sony pvr from them and it was utter pap (it couldnt reliably record) took it back got a refund and got what i should of got in the 1st place but i was hoping being sony it would use the same remote as the tv but it was just something badged as a sony. Even just go in to one and ask the people there know what they are on about (unlike say pc world) and give them a budget and some requirements they will try and come up with something in that price bracket if they can

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjt View Post
    I think that you may need a bit more in terms of your budget as i found i used to have a 5:1 surround sound Sony HT setup and thought it was the dogs until i discovered doing it properly. I have the Sony STRDH520 Black | AV Receiver | Richer Sounds Av reciever and spent another 100 on an active sub and WOW! what a difference that made!
    I'm now able to rattle the whole house when Batman is on rather than a few glasses in the same room.
    I'm still using the poor old tall boys for the surrounds, but they do the job until i can afford better ones.
    Looks like I'm off to richer sounds with credit card, sweet! I've already checked that Sony number out, might be my way to go.

Thank Post
    Purley on a specs review the Pioneer VSX527 looks pretty good. Built in Air Play with 6 HDMI, 1 USB, internet radio, DLNA and dolby IIx.

I have dolby II and it offers amazing surround sound from stereo sources. Any dolby digital 5.1 source can be downsampled to stereo.. using an analog matrix to keep the surround (for broadcast channels usually) but dolby II can bring most of the surround information back quite remarkably.

My old Buffy / Angel VHSs sound great!
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 12th December 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    I've got floor-standing front and bookshelf rear speakers. There's a huge difference if I switch the sub off, although I never noticed the lack of a sub until I got one, if you know what I mean.
    They should be subtle yet, as Ironman exits the cave or the depth charges drop in U571, you should know...

I'd plug BK electronics active subs. I have a Monolith reigned in with an antimode processor. Not suitable for this budget but anyone looking for an active sub should give their subs serious consideration.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast