+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Presentation for interview in General; Hi For an interview we've been asked to make a five minute presentation about "how you would develop ICT in ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Presentation for interview

Hi

For an interview we've been asked to make a five minute presentation about "how you would develop ICT in the school and inspire pupils and staff".

Erm... Help!

Thank Post
    Don't use powerpoint.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Erk!

I'd start by looking at their last inspection report and see what the teaching and learning strengths and weaknesses are. Can you think of examples that can build on or improve what's been commented on by the inspectors?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    May be some ideas here:
    Job Interview / Presentation
    or here:
    Interview Presentation
    Not quite the same question but many of the answers can be used for your topic

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Presentation for interview

lol I did have that thought about PowerPoint. I guess they might expect that. Y'know, demonstrate some proficiency etc..

They got a great inspection last time, and one is imminent in the new year. Great idea elsie thanks. Will go study it now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Fantastic thanks witch! I knew I could rely on you!

How is everyone? You all seem tons more professional since I was here last!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few things you can stress in the presentation ... pick and choose the most appropriate and *don't* try to cover them all. You might also get an award for buzzword bingo though so be careful!

Reliability of technology ... they might have best systems in the world with fantastic reliability and you want to keep it that way ... or it might be that it can be improved ... after all, ICT can't help a school improve unless staff trust it to work and it delivers what they require when they need it.

Flexibility ... technology changes and so does the use of tech, so you (and your team) are always looking at how existing tech can be re-used / adapted for the changes the curriculum can bring (an example such as looking at how the use of data logging for databases from a weather station can be used across ICT, Science, Geography as well as stimulus for creative writing in English ... cross-subject themes can be handy, but if the school has a lot of intra-department politics it can go down badly so stick to similar depts such as science, geography and ICT).

Efficiencies ... as more schools aim to be businesses and business-like it can give things like VLEs / Learning Platforms a new lease of life. By moving to a more online / digital curriculum the cost of investment in tech can bring in a lot of efficiencies and cost savings. Referencing published articles on cost savings from MS, or the work of someone like Don Passey will help. It might not be as all flashy as talking about iPads and blogs ... but there is more evidence of it making a difference to how a school runs. And remember that every pound that you spend on tech which can pay for itself gives more money to pay for teachers in the classroom.

Just a few ideas ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Getting lots of ideas already thanks. This is a tiny special school with about 110 pupils. A run down campus of mostly portable classrooms. IT support up until now has been via a centralised contractor of a few hours a week. The school are finding that they have resources unused due to lack of technical support. Most rooms have IWBs and PCs. There's a mixture of XP to W7. Administration PCs have no server. There's to be a short handover from the current tech.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Where have you been @mark?

Sounds like a fun job-lots of things you can do with that-always supposing the money is there to do it..

*tbh it sounds like just having someone there all the time to mend stuff, and support the school will be a huge improvement for them
    Last edited by witch; 11th December 2012 at 10:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For a special school I would definitely stress your flexibility and ability to find innovative ways of getting things to work. Depending on the range of needs of users some areas of tech can take a fair bit of effort to get working to have the same results / experience of users ... but there are a lot of fantastic things examples of specials schools around to dip into.

Have a pop into the SEN area on the TES forums and pick up a few ideas in there (including from the resource bank) to show you understand what staff and learners are up to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    A few things you can stress in the presentation ... pick and choose the most appropriate and *don't* try to cover them all. You might also get an award for buzzword bingo though so be careful!

Reliability of technology ... they might have best systems in the world with fantastic reliability and you want to keep it that way ... or it might be that it can be improved ... after all, ICT can't help a school improve unless staff trust it to work and it delivers what they require when they need it.

Flexibility ... technology changes and so does the use of tech, so you (and your team) are always looking at how existing tech can be re-used / adapted for the changes the curriculum can bring (an example such as looking at how the use of data logging for databases from a weather station can be used across ICT, Science, Geography as well as stimulus for creative writing in English ... cross-subject themes can be handy, but if the school has a lot of intra-department politics it can go down badly so stick to similar depts such as science, geography and ICT).

Efficiencies ... as more schools aim to be businesses and business-like it can give things like VLEs / Learning Platforms a new lease of life. By moving to a more online / digital curriculum the cost of investment in tech can bring in a lot of efficiencies and cost savings. Referencing published articles on cost savings from MS, or the work of someone like Don Passey will help. It might not be as all flashy as talking about iPads and blogs ... but there is more evidence of it making a difference to how a school runs. And remember that every pound that you spend on tech which can pay for itself gives more money to pay for teachers in the classroom.

Just a few ideas ...
    Fantastic thanks Tony!

Buzzwords... Hmm I think you have the wrong person lol... I'd be chuffed to appear that confident Must watch out for that tho'.

Reliability is a good one. With the nature of the site being so challenging, I think that's a huge concern for them. I plan to quiz the LA infrastructure guys about possibilities there. Also on the file server front. The I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to big up those benefits.

Flexibility... I like that. When you think about that its even more crucial in a small environment. Leveraging (argh buzzword lol ) what limited resources there are is key.

They were part of an LA wide push to Moodle, although I don't know if they actually use it. The implementation was pretty poor. I would certainly be keen to sing the benefits of Moodle, and maybe use my enthusiasm for it as an example of "how". Not sure I should though.. They may already consider it a waste of time (having attended the same training myself. Yes it was that bad!)

Cost savings / efficiencies is a great one. Thanks for that I'll certainly look into that.

Thank Post
    Personal experience suggests that you keep it vague. I did a presentation at an interview full of specifics related to problems the school was having. I didn't get the job but they nicked most of my ideas on how to improve their lot. Pissed off? You bet I was!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Where have you been @mark?

Sounds like a fun job-lots of things you can do with that-always supposing the money is there to do it..

*tbh it sounds like just having someone there all the time to mend stuff, and support the school will be a huge improvement for them
    Working in a dead end job, no training, no prospects and a department mindset of self preservation. I'm keen to regain some self respect for a start!

The HT seems committed to investing so it looks very good. Dream job for me maybe!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    For a special school I would definitely stress your flexibility and ability to find innovative ways of getting things to work. Depending on the range of needs of users some areas of tech can take a fair bit of effort to get working to have the same results / experience of users ... but there are a lot of fantastic things examples of specials schools around to dip into.

Have a pop into the SEN area on the TES forums and pick up a few ideas in there (including from the resource bank) to show you understand what staff and learners are up to.
    Again thanks for the tip Tony. You're so thoughtful! Will definitely check out TES.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    Personal experience suggests that you keep it vague. I did a presentation at an interview full of specifics related to problems the school was having. I didn't get the job but they nicked most of my ideas on how to improve their lot. Pissed off? You bet I was!
    lol good point I'm not sure it would help being too specific. Trick would be to be uber enthusiastic yet give nothing away. Nope, don't think I'd manage that! lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast