+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter) in General; Originally Posted by plexer @ JAB1a motors arrived went for the 1400 turnigys Ben Nice choice, so are you going ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    @JAB1a motors arrived went for the 1400 turnigys

Ben
    Nice choice, so are you going to be running 8" props instead of 9" due to the faster RPM? I'm now toying with the idea of going onto 4cell lipo's (14.8v) for some extra kick and power

That is amazing, some talks on TED about quadcopters adapting to external forces are wicked but they all rely on a room full of camera's for tracking and transitions. A great swam video is the one where they get lots of quadcopters with lights on them and make the Star Trek sybol in the sky, all done on GPS..amazing

Nice.

Gotta wait for payday before getting any more bits so going to be a while yet.

Ben
    That's all I seem to do at the moment...wait for payday

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    This is the progress mine is making:

QuadCopter Flight - Hardenhuish/Sheldon - YouTube

Getting braver, my last flight I got up to around 65m high before I bottled it. Wanted to go higher but started to look very small in the sky.

I've got 1000kv motors on mine, and get around 6 - 7 minutes of flight time with it using a 3S 2200 LiPo. Currently trying to sort out a Loiter problem with it; whenever I put in Loiter mode it just goes off in all sorts of directions, might be a compass issue. I'm now considering the FPV gear, but doing my research on that kit first.

Best of luck, post your Vids when it's flying.

Pete
    That's a great flight video Pete, some fast and brave moves for LOS flight. I see your using the Ali motor mounts, that's a great upgrade for the X525frame, before these were available I ended up just mounting the motors straight to the arms and it makes such a difference. Keep the video's coming

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Looking at some 8 x 4.5 props but only running 3 cells as that's all the motors are rated for.

Ben

Thank Post
    That's excellent, it should sound and react like its on rails, do you have a link to your motors you can share?

As for RC Tx's, I would suggest the Turnigy 9x, you can flash opensource firmware to it so it then has features that Tx's that cost hundereds have. I was looking at one of the 9x's but then I discovered I can use my Spektrum DX6i with other TX modules like EzUHF etc by using the training port...sweet!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    That's a great flight video Pete, some fast and brave moves for LOS flight. I see your using the Ali motor mounts, that's a great upgrade for the X525frame, before these were available I ended up just mounting the motors straight to the arms and it makes such a difference. Keep the video's coming
    Thanks - Just uploaded another one yesterday as I've finally got my Loiter and RTL problems resolved. (QuadCopter APM 2.5 Loiter & RTL On Board - YouTube)

I'm looking into FPV now, but I just stumbling at the price of a decent set of FatSharks! Can't believe they cost so much. Frustrating.

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    I see your using the Ali motor mounts, that's a great upgrade for the X525frame, before these were available I ended up just mounting the motors straight to the arms and it makes such a difference. Keep the video's coming
    Yes, using those mounts as I crashed it not so long ago and broke one of the original mounts - they're not bad but have bent a couple during some other 'incidents' but can be bent back into shape in a vice quite easily ;P

I tried mounting the go pro on a couple of tubes running from the centre, in an attempt to bring it forward slightly and mount the battery on the back, unfortunately it introduced so much Jello on the picture that I ripped it apart again and went back to the original configuration.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Yes, using those mounts as I crashed it not so long ago and broke one of the original mounts - they're not bad but have bent a couple during some other 'incidents' but can be bent back into shape in a vice quite easily ;P

I tried mounting the go pro on a couple of tubes running from the centre, in an attempt to bring it forward slightly and mount the battery on the back, unfortunately it introduced so much Jello on the picture that I ripped it apart again and went back to the original configuration.

Pete
    I know what you mean about the price of those Fatsharks, there are alternatives, some around the same price and some cheaper but you will be loosing quality and FOV on most of them. I saw it as, well I can use these on anything else RC I want to FPV, I could use them for gaming (not very good resolution for that) etc and I knew if I brought a lesser pair of goggles then I would always be wanting the better ones. I bit the bullet and got the FatShark Attitude SD goggles with their vTx, its an amazing pair but some people do not get on with the rubber eye sockets, but if you can handle swimming goggles then you can handle these.

I found for the under slung rig for the camera, if you get some strong/thick rubber/foam and cut it into four squares and put that between the frame and your rods and then attach zip ties around the rods and through some holes (where the pads are) in the frame to lock them together then you will have a lot less vibration, no need to fix or lock the rods onto place as the zipties do that and dampen some vibration as well as the rubber pads. That way you can push the camera way out front and counter it with the lipo on the back....might help

Thank Post
    @JAB1a what's the view from within the fatsharks like does it look like you're actually there or is it like watching on a big tv? I read about some of these glasses that say they give the impression of watching a huge screen floating in the distance.

Ben

Thank Post
    Added canopy to the frame today.

FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter)-20130828_154305-1-.jpg
    Last edited by plexer; 28th August 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Thank Post
    @JAB1a what's the view from within the fatsharks like does it look like you're actually there or is it like watching on a big tv? I read about some of these glasses that say they give the impression of watching a huge screen floating in the distance.

Ben
    It is like a huge TV screen floating in front of your face but as soon as you start flying then your peripheral closes down and you are completely immersed into what you are seeing. The colours and quality is amazing with the right camera attached, you can spot a telephone wire in your path at about 50meters so it has good resolution for flying. You can always do FPV without the goggles by using a computer monitor or something so you can still fly FPV but its not as fun or immersive. The Attitudes allow you to change the angle your eyes view the screen where as all the others are fixed which might be an issue if you have a big/small head

Added canopy to the frame today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130828_154305[1].jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	253.4 KB 
ID:	20216
    Nice lid, Tupperware is so light, cheap and bomb proof that its perfect for protecting your electronics. The frame is looking very good, I like those motor mounts...did you make them?
    Last edited by JAB1a; 29th August 2013 at 10:14 AM.

Thank Post
    @JAB1a yeah 3D printed motor mounts and main cross member, on top of the main cross member is a laser cut space so the Tupperware lid sits flush and then inside the lid is another laser cut spacer and then it's bolted through all pieces in a sandwich, plastic box cost the princely sum of £1

Waiting for the Bluetooth board, sensor board and speed controllers to arrive, after that all I need to buy is batteries, charger, props and radio gear.

Ben

Thank Post
    Wondering if the vuzix 920's would be any good 640 x 480 res available for £99

Ben

Thank Post

Ben

Thank Post

Ben
    Wow these seem to be the right spec, 2 LCD's so you can view 3d films is good, 31deg FOV is better than the attitudes at 30deg, not sure on the pixel density for clarity but they must be about the same, no video Tx or Rx or head tracker so that's an extra cost to add to them, if you use 2 vTx's and 2 cameras you could fly in true 3D vision I guess which would be cool.

At that price its probably worth a punt but I myself would still hold out for the FatSharks as I have read a lot more reviews about them than the Vuzix

Fatshark Attitude SD:
    Full color LCD LED backlit Kopin CyberDisplay
    922,000 pixels binocular display (640 X 480 VGA)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ben
    Gosh, they do look good. Hmmmm.....

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast