+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter) in General; @ FragglePete There is some great progress right there, damn shame about the props coz it would be good to ...

Thank Post
    @FragglePete There is some great progress right there, damn shame about the props coz it would be good to have different colour props on, my friend ordered 6 pairs of 9x4.7 and one of the packs was 9x4.5, pure lazzyness of the supplier I say because they look so different. I would of thought you were going to take the quad to Florida to have a good fly in the sun to grab some sights
    @Zimmer cheers for the info, be careful about range issues if you are using the 2.4Ghz vTx, you didn't mention what your radio gear was using? is that 2.4Ghz aswell? if so I would suggest you go straight to 5.8Ghz. Ive not played with the MultiWii boards yet but I have seen some increadable flights with them so I wish you all the luck.

I have heard few good things about the DJI motors and lots of bad things about them, from poor construction to complete burn outs......motors and props are a hard choice, trial and error is a great way but I like to find solutions to that people already use, say 2212 1000Kv motors with either 8x5, 9x4.5, 9x4.7, 10x4.5. Depending on the size of your frame and payload then each of these has its advantage, I would stick in the middle with 9x4.5's. So order yourself a load from China along with a stack of props but be willing to wait at least 20days for them to arrive.

The Mystery motors and brilliant, for the price they are well made, come with prop adapters and all fixings needed, cost less than a tenner each, get them from a good place and they will come with 2.5mm shrink wrapped bullets. I am using Turnigy motors at the moment but have a load of Mystery motors on order.

The X525 frame is brilliant! so tough and super stable. I have modified mine by adding an undercarrage as real estate is at a premium for camera and batteries, I have replaced all the arms with thicker ali which has added a total of 80g to the flight weight but the advantage is no twisting or movement at all. Get rid of the landing feet as they weigh alot, break easy and get stuck in the ground on hard landings which will cause you to flip on takeoff. This is one of the rare frames (V3) that comes with a third plate on top of the center plate that keeps the whole frame rock solid and completly flat at all times. Without camera my frame comes to a flying wieght of about 998g and soon shoots up to 1.2Kg after all FPV gear is added. Another frame would be a flamewheel or a similar clone but I don't like these too much as there is alot of plastic on them.

Thank Post
    It is strange that people (me included) spend hundreds of pounds and 10's of hours to build these multicopters and then rely on a £5 motor and a £2 prop to keep it all in the air.

P.S I would not recommend using a CD or DVD case to protect your flight controller, on my first design I used it and it gives little to no protection in a crash as it splits and shatters which might go striaght into the very thing you are trying to protect. Tupperware, its the future...I've seen it, its water proof and large branch and heavy fall resistant.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks @JAB1a - I'm more than likely going to order the bits sooner rather than later; every time I pick it up to do some work on it I just want to get it built. I leaning towards either the APM2.5 or the Crius AIOP v2 for the flight controller - I like the fact it's open source and seeing (and reading) some good things - may even push for the GPS module from the start! Just knowing the best place to get it from, the cheapest for the APM seems to be RCTimer.

Pete

Thank Post
    I agree about the APM2.5, hell of a bit of kit! the GPS side is a must on that if you have the option along with the telemetry kit (think its 433Mhz) so has some great range. RCTimer does seem the cheapest and give you the different pins to solder on, they also sell cases for it which is good. keep me posted

Thank Post
    I am absolutely enjoying this thread about Quadcopters…it should have its own forum!

Yet more ‘drone’ footage used on last night’s The Plane Crash - Channel 4

Keep expecting to see @JAB1a on the TV anytime soon!

Thank Post
    @MYK-IT Cheers mate, I could talk about this hobby all day, I'm addicted. Hopefully you will never see me on TV for a stupid multicopter act, I try and minimise risk and threat to others so hopefully no one will bother me like the Blacksheep team etc get.

Great forums for this hobby are:
    FPV HUB - Index
    Multi Rotor UK

Both are UK based and have some of the most friendly and helpful people for any of your troubles
    @FragglePete I see RCTimer has a deal on at the moment for the APM2.5+, GPS and telemetry (433Mhz) ~£80 WOW thats a bargin!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh look! @JAB1a I've just ordered that kit !!! Cost £95 in the end.

Pete

Thank Post
    @FragglePete What? you got the APM2.5+, GPS and telemetry (433Mhz)?

How jelous am I now!

Wicked, you should have lots of fun with that, full autonomy. Let me know when it arrives

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes ! Eeep. Wasn't planning on spending that on the Controller, but thought 'what the hell' - it'll push back getting the other bits in now but I can wait.

Pete

Thank Post
    Well in the long run it will serve you better because if you ever wanted those features you would have to purchase this FC anyway so might as well get it out the way now No doubt worth every pennie. The real time telemetery is going to be wicked!

Thank Post
    Finally got mine in the air over the weekend... I've quickly realized that it's worth stocking lots of spare props and prop adapters when your first starting out!

Ended up buying Turnigy AeroDrive 2822's @ 1100kv, decided to play it safe with the ESC's and got the Turnigy Plush 30A's from HK (SimonK's firmware is going on them this week). 8x4.5 props seem to be working nicely with very little heat from the ESC's when left at full throttle for a while.

I'm running the MultiWii 2.1 code on my FC and my next challenge is to figure out all the PID tweaking for stable mode, plus hook up the I2C magnometer and barometer I have ordered from SparkFun.

12. Thanks to Zimmer from:

plexer (19th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Sounds great @Zimmer, do you have any photos or video footage of your efforts yet? I would be interested in seeing it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Currently printing this Scorpion V-Tail Quadcopter by foxdewayne - Thingiverse at 75% 2hrs 31mins in for the body at the moment with 6hrs 29mins left to go

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Currently printing this Scorpion V-Tail Quadcopter by foxdewayne - Thingiverse at 75% 2hrs 31mins in for the body at the moment with 6hrs 29mins left to go
    Nice. PLA/ABS printers aren't fast - which is really annoying if the print goes wrong after 6 hours!

Meanwhile : Eric Schmidt calls for legislation on private ownership of drones. Imagine that, a google exec worried about peoples privacy!

Thank Post
    @plexer That frame looks wicked but it looks like you are going to have to land 100% flat each time otherwise those back props are gonna die. Maybe an extended landing gear to keep it off the ground. What flight controller are you going to use with this? might be a nightmare to setup for this config but if it works then you will be laughing. Good luck with the printing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast