+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter) in General; This looks tempting, a lego quadcopter Drone made of Lego takes flight. | sUAS News...

Thank Post
    This looks tempting, a lego quadcopter
    Drone made of Lego takes flight. | sUAS News

Thank Post
    Haha brilliant, looks like hes using it for full FPV aswell, the posibilities are endless! get some lego technic in there aswell and you are laughing.

The grey centre sections look weird, not quite lego styled bits

Thank Post
    Some extra bits you might want aswell as these have been purchased by my friend while making his build:

16 AWG Silicone Wire Pair 50cm 500mm Black & Red
    16AWG 16 AWG Silicone Wire Pair 50cm 500mm Black & Red | eBay

10 x PAIRS Of RC 3.5mm Gold Bullet Connector INC Heat Shrink For Motor ESC (get two of these)
    10 x PAIRS Of RC 3.5mm Gold Bullet Connector INC Heat Shrink For Motor ESC UK | eBay

50pcs M3 x 6mm-6mm Nylon Hexagonal Female and Male Standoff Spacer HTS-306
    50pcs M3 x 6mm-6mm Nylon Hexagonal Female and Male Standoff Spacer HTS-306 | eBay
    Last edited by JAB1a; 31st December 2012 at 04:31 PM.

4. Thanks to JAB1a from:

FragglePete (31st December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ooo! Frame turned up today - ESCs ordered, will do the motors in a day or so. Doing it bit by bit as finances allow; still aiming for spring!

Pete

Thank Post
    Ideal Pete,
    Hope you had a good xmas and new year, if your building the quad then you are definutly gonna have a good year I say

FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter)-img_20130104_144412.jpg
    Here is a photo of the finished Hexacopter and my quadcopter that was built from this parts list apart from the frame and 2x extra motors. Maiden flight on the weekend went very well apart from the pilot needs more practice, all six props damaged in the first day of flying, hence why I would say get many...many props.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. Early days yet. I got the Frame, and put it together, although I'm sure not enough washers and nuts were supplied - still, it's built. Spurred me on to look into other bits. The Flight Controller is the biggest conundrum I think at the mo, just looking at various forums and getting a feel. I'm going order the motors this week and a few bits and bobs; I liked to look of the Power Plate thingy that Hobby King do to distribute the power to the ESC, it would certainly save a lot of dodgy soldering but they seem out of stock at the moment.

Pete

Thank Post
    Hi Pete,
    If you order the Rabbit Flight Controller then it comes with a much better made power distro board hence why I did not add it to the parts list, the hobby king one is very cheap and nasty one (I brought one not knowing the rabbit came with one).
    When it comes to flight controllers the Rabbit is the best I have found and researched for the price it even supports a 2axis gimble while controlling a Hexacopter (other boards do this too). A nice cheap very reliable board is the KK2.0, its so cheap and very well made but does not have a Baro or compass but does support autostable and does not need a PC to setup or change settings.

The CAIO Pro is an amazing board but the Rabbit beats it on features and recent updates to firmware. The only board I would recommend other than the Rabbit would be the DJI Naza but you will be looking at more like 200 once you have all the extra bits needed. Another board which is good is the APM 2.6, its got more features than you can wave a stick at and everything is changable and expandable.

My money would be on the Rabbit everytime unless money was not a problem then the Naza is my choice.

Frames from China are a nightmare, they never come with instructions so you have to search for forums or photos of peoples frames that are already made. I liked this as I could build the frame to match my needs rather than following the ridgid norm.

Please keep me updated on your progress Pete, I am excited for you

9. Thanks to JAB1a from:

FragglePete (7th January 2013)

Thank Post
    @FragglePete well I did it, brought a Hubsan x4 from Nitrotek 31~ delivered and also brought a ton of spares from Banggood.com for 11 delivered.

It should arrive on Thursday......im very excited. Also my Spider frame turned up for my big Quad today so my weekend is going to be very busy and definutly fun

Thank Post
    Hi guys, I started my quadcopter project a few weeks back and I've been all over Google researching and it was nice to find a thread on here about the subject.

So far I've got my frame, FC, FPV kit, and LiPo's & PDB. I really can't wait to get mine in the air after watching all the YouTube FPV videos! Just waiting for payday to arrive and I'm going to order my motors, ESC's and props... I feel like a kid again I'm that excited!

If your new to this then I recommend watching the following clips, they will be sure to get you hooked on this hobby...

Best multirotor pilot I've found so far: best toy ever (multicopter) - YouTube

Team Black Sheep do London (These guys rock!): Team BlackSheep's TEATIME in London - YouTube

Another TBS Video but it really does sell the FPV craze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCI1cIc2qRY
    Last edited by Zimmer; 31st January 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Thats good to hear @Zimmer, if your feeling excited now wait till your first full FPV flight happens! WOW what a rush. Thanks for the links.

So what FC and FPV gear are you using and what motors/props are you gonna be using? I hope you keep us posted on your progress. Check out FPVHub if you are really into FPV.

I am currently adding FPV gear to my Hubsan X4 so I can fly around the house full immersion just waiting on bits

Watch this video of a Hubsan X4 full FPV flight.....EPIC!!!!
    FPV Hubsan X4 Part 1 - YouTube

Thank Post
    Not had much time to get on here today, I'm two men down and we're having some issues with our macs and to add to the mix our main software distribution point for SCCM has decided to have a heart attack... At least it's Friday!

I bought myself a HK MultiWii Lite with the 2.0 firmware, probably not the best decision I've ever made because it is pretty basic. But I've got myself a magnometer and barometer from SparkFun and I'm going to add them to the I2C bus as soon as I figure out all this 3v3 to 5v conversion stuff!

As far as FPV goes I'm actually using something a little different, I have a 2.4Ghz CCTV camera/monitor which I've stripped down to bare minimum, but I'm sure there will be too much noise on the video feed but I won't know for sure until I actually do a test flight. If it is pants I'll then look to buy a proper 5Ghz solution, it's worth a try though I guess.

Motors and ESC's are starting to really get on nerves, the minute I think I've found the right combination for the right price I then see something else and completely change my mind! I really want some Turnigy G series motors but the price on them is ridiculous! I've found some E-Max 2212's that look nice, apparently they are the same motors that DJI ship with their FlameWheel F450 just rebranded and they get some really good reviews.

But yeah, nice video there, those Hubsan's look really nimble don't they

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @JAB1a - Show off! Can't believe you've got all that squeezed onto one of those 'ickle things.... !

For me; Frame built, motor's soldered & mounted, ESC's soldered, Props delivered, spare cable delivered. Looking for FC after my holiday (off to Florida just before Easter) so that's gobbled all my finances at the moment. Giving me time to look into things a bit more. It will live one day, oh yes, it will !!!

Pete

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here's my attempt so far, not the best image but coming along nicely.

FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter)-imag0284.jpg

Bit miffed as I ordered 4 x Prop sets in total, with 2 of the sets being black as my idea was to have the red props on the front and black on the back, but for some reason the black ones are a different pitch (9 x 4.7) so I'll keep it all red for now.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Here's my attempt so far, not the best image but coming along nicely.
    Looking good!

Thank Post
    Looking good indeed, are those frames heavy?

Are you using Mystery motors there? What do you think of them?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast