+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter) in General; Originally Posted by plexer I'm torn between buying that frame or just buying some square alu tube and lasercutting some ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I'm torn between buying that frame or just buying some square alu tube and lasercutting some acrylic/ply/what have you
    I'm amazed how cheap the frames on ebay are. I struggle to get the materials for the same cost! On the other hand, if you make your own you know exactly what you are dealing with and can easily mod as needed.

Thank Post
    @plexer If you have the skill then definutly make your own. I must say this frame is bullet proof, so make sure you use a very strong material for the center plates. If you have access to a CNC like PCStru then you can get plently of CAD designs for basic quad frames.
    @FragglePete The hudsan is a great little quad with some advanced features. there are spares avalible a plenty and even quite a few FPV projects popping up with them. As they come out the box they can lift 20g extra weight, some of the sub-nano cameras and 200Mw Tx's weight about 4g I want one for when the weather is too bad outside so I can still get me 'fix'.

I did not see the gadget show sorry. Im sure he was just doing something wrong! lol
    @pcstru I would make a copy of the above quadframe but add more surface area top and bottom for mounting things, even if the bottom plate was extended in all directions that would be an improvment

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Must admit, am tempted.....
    Hubsan X4 Mini RC Quad Copter - 2.4Ghz - RTF | eBay

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    That is VERY tempting, I would also buy more than one battery and some spare props to extend your play otherwise you are just going to have to wait for parts

Someone else using the X525 frame....
    RC X525 FOLDING QUAD QUADCOPTER FPV MULTICOPTER HELI | eBay

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    I would make a copy of the above quadframe but add more surface area top and bottom for mounting things, even if the bottom plate was extended in all directions that would be an improvment
    If you can scan (preferable) or take a picture (need focal plane and plate to be parrallell) of the plate and supply a couple of accurate dimensions then mark how you want it modded, I can probably CAD it quite quickly.

Do you have any links for open source drawings for frames?

Thank Post
    @pcstru
    Most downloaded models tagged with quadcopter - GrabCAD
    here is a good place, but not being into CAD I have just ignored most sites like this but I have seen many different CAD designs for many different quads. I do remember somewhere seeing extra parts etc being designed for the x525 frame, I think it was a battery holder on the bottom, I will have a good search. I also know there are alot of files out there for 3d printers and quads, can those files be modified to be used on a CNC (if the part is made of flat sections?)

I am stripping down my frame soon so will get some shots of the plates and add the modifications I think would be good and send them to you, wont be until the weekend I think thanks again for the offer of help

Thank Post
    wow ok I have just found the parts right under my nose on the same site as the radio TX

Spare Parts - Quadcopter X525 Fibre Glass Plate D > Hardware > DIY & Spare Parts > MULTICOPTERS > Main Page > Pyramid Models

"Extra CNC cut Fibre Glass Hardware Plate" would make all the difference for mounting battery and camera too but the top plate needs similar but coming out the sides not front/back.

Thank Post
    @JAB1a, 3d print files can (sometimes) be pressed into service but it's not necessarily straightforward, especially if they are complex. There are also things you can do on a 3d printer that you simply can't do on a 2.5D CNC mill/router. Unfortunately my 3d printer is in need of a new hot end which is in turn waiting for my man cave build to complete so I can unpack and set up my lathe. I did spend many hours painting the new workshop at the weekend so it is all getting tantalisingly close.

9. Thanks to pcstru from:

plexer (17th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,583 Times in 1,420 Posts
    Sounds fun I can't currently get in my man cave to work as it's been taken over with all the tut from the storage shed that I'm rebuilding but once that's done I'll be able to make a start.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    wow ok I have just found the parts right under my nose on the same site as the radio TX

Spare Parts - Quadcopter X525 Fibre Glass Plate D > Hardware > DIY & Spare Parts > MULTICOPTERS > Main Page > Pyramid Models

"Extra CNC cut Fibre Glass Hardware Plate" would make all the difference for mounting battery and camera too but the top plate needs similar but coming out the sides not front/back.
    Yeah, but did you notice this bit: This item is only to be supplied to our customers who have already purchasedeither the X525 Kit or Deluxe version from us, and want to upgrade to the PRO Version.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    Yeah, but did you notice this bit: This item is only to be supplied to our customers who have already purchasedeither the X525 Kit or Deluxe version from us, and want to upgrade to the PRO Version.

No i didn't see that, Its was more of an example to show PCStru what I ment. cheeky....Its silly because they could make a packet if they sold it on ebay saying its a UK produced upgrade for the X525 frame. This is however another layer you would have to add to your quad = extra weight, if we could make a modified bottom plate then there is minimal extra wieght added
    @pcstru cheers for the CNC/printer info, I was not sure how easy/complicated it would be. I will get my ideas to you asap to see if you think it can be done. what do you want, .jpg with my plan drawn over the top with measurments or is there a bit of software I can use to make your job easier? (google sketchup maybe)

Thank Post
    @JAB1a Any CAD or modelling software which deals in accurate dimensions would do (libreCAD. inkscape?). I can at a push use a jpeg/bmp to produce DXF output and then scale it. As far as I can see in a quad frame the only critical dimensions are mounting holes (dia and placement). sketch-up would certainly give all the dimensions but I really need to get to a 2d plan view (dxf/ai/eps) which I can use to generate tool-paths against. Start with a scan + drawn is probably easy ...

What material do you have in mind?

Thank Post
    Ok I will see what I can get together for you.

I was thinking some 2mm material....

Real Carbon Fibre/Fiber Flat Sheet in 2mm A4 (Rigid Panel Not Vinyl Wrap) | eBay
    or
    400mmx300mmx2.0mm Fiberglass Glass Fiber Plate Sheet | eBay

can you CNC mill either of this stuff?

Thank Post
    can you CNC mill either of this stuff?
    Shouldn't be a problem. I've never done carbon fibre (quite nasty dust I think) but circuit boards are glass fibre and go through fine.

16. Thanks to pcstru from:

JAB1a (17th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Wicked ok, I will put the plan into action, quite excited about this might get started when I get home

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast