+ Post New Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
General Chat Thread, FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter) in General; Originally Posted by plexer The output level can be defined in s/w though. Well, I'm wrong about control, you can ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    The output level can be defined in s/w though.
    Well, I'm wrong about control, you can use 433Mhz for control at a maximum output of 1mw. For telemetry you are restricted to 10Mw. apparently.

The primary designated user for 433Mhz I believe is the MOD (just sayin'!). You also risk (since you will have to buy from abroad) having equipment sized by customs and prosecution under the wireless telegraphy act 2006, in particular they may view simply having such equipment as an offence under section 36.

Thank Post
    I also hear it is illegal to be drunk in a pub (drunk being defined as 'someone who has drunk more alcohol than is legally allowed to then drive) but you don't see the police enforcing this unless you act an idiot which I think would be in the same situation as your Tx power etc (might be a bad comparison lol).

I have seen this conversation happen on MANY FPV/RC forums over the years and many threads get locked just because group A can not see the point that group B are trying to make due to the legalities... many comparisons to driving 35mph in a 30mph zone compared to driving 60mph in a 30mph zone, both are illegal but one is just stupid lol.

I'm not saying that the laws should be ignored in anyway and I full agree with the points @pcstru has made, those consequences could very well happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1a View Post
    Thanks for the info @pcstru - I am sure anything over 25mW (land to air or air to land) is against the UK rules, I have seen distances of 2miles from a 25mW 5.8Ghz with the right antenna setup. Most FPV setups sold from shops/internet in the UK are WELL above these limits (average 100mW Tx's)... So I know two wrongs don't make a right but I would not stop buying the OpenLRS system just because of the Tx power...
    I think it should be worth some very careful thought. You should for instance have some insurance if you are operating your model in public or spaces you don't own (which is pretty much anywhere other than your garden), or indeed places where others might have reasonable cause to access (which could be your garden). If you are unlucky and happen to injure someone, you want that insurance to cover your liability. I doubt the insurance company would be very happy if they find you are operating equipment that does not comply with UK law.

As always assessing risk requires an appreciation of probability and consequences. Accidents with RC models are rare but if you are the unlucky person that is hit by one, it can be extremely serious. In those circumstances, the model is likely to be scrutinised very closely.

Thank Post
    True words, and hopefully comman sense for most there @pcstru

Thank Post
    Just a little update on the OpenLRS system I found for UK use...

"In the UK we're limited to 1mW for telemetry on 433MHz. 10mW on 434MHz.

For Radio Control we have 35MHz and 2.4GHz as you mentioned but we also have 459MHz up to 100mW available to us and many of us use OpenLRS and EzUHF with special "UK firmware" which changes the frequency from 433MHz to 459MHz at 100mW. OpenLRS using this special firmware has been flown to over 13km which is more than sufficient for most applications (especially considering our Air Law requires that Line Of Sight is maintained at all times).
    "

I also found this handy table to show what freq. is best to use together on your model...
    Here are some sample recommended configurations:

RC Telemetry Video
    Configuration 1 (US) 2.4Ghz 915 Mhz 5.8 Ghz
    Configuration 2 (Europe) 2.4Ghz 433Mhz 5.8 Ghz
    Configuration 3 (US) 2.4Ghz 915 Mhz 1.3 Ghz
    Configuration 4 (Europe) 2.4Ghz 433Mhz 1.3 Ghz

This was handy as I was trying to work out what freq. I could use if I got a APM2.5 with 3DR telemetry like this little gem:

3DR Radio 433Mhz Module +APM2.5 +CN-06 Standalone GPS Receiver v2.0 | eBay

6. Thanks to JAB1a from:

plexer (18th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Big thanks to @JAB1a, I've just managed to use that list and get everything I need to get in the air for a basic level for 209 (all delivered & starting with nothing)
    Kit (frame, motors, escs, KK FC board) X525 V3 QuadCopter Glass Friber Folding ARF PNP Set KK Flight Board Multicopter | eBay
    Controller https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/Turnigy-9X...FUfkwgodOWAAzQ
    Power TURNIGY 2200 mAH 3S 20C 30C BURST LIPO PACK 11.1V | eBay
    Charger iMAX B6 RC Lipo NiMh Battery Balance Charger with Power | eBay

Plan is to build this one and learn it, then upgrade to better featured FC board, GPC and FPV as future budgets allow.

Thank Post
    Wow that's a great price @TwoZeroAlpha I wish you all the luck and a fun build, you won't regret it.

Can I just suggest something... I see with that frame you get the KKM5.5 board, I have played with this board and its definitely not for beginners!, its a nightmare to flash the right firmware and also does not support Auto-Stability so it will be like flying on other FC's with Auto-Stab turned off which is not for the faint hearted lol...

Might I suggest this to begin with...
    KK2.0 Multi-rotor Self Level LCD Flight Control Board - BNIB (NEW) UK Seller | eBay

I am a great fan of the Rabbit Flight Controller, much more plug and play compared to Naza etc and has some amazing features...I just picked a 2nd one up with GPS for 50..bargin

Keep us posted with your build!

Thank Post
    Cheers, an extra 30 still doesn't dent the price too much and I now have a choice of FC boards if required or can re-sell the KKM5.5.

I'm looking forward to getting it all. I picked up a chilitech actioncam3 on Amazon's blackfriday last year, so I'm going to use that under slung for some quick and easy remote video.

Thank Post
    @TwoZeroAlpha I also see there is no power supply cable on the Quadcopter, so you will need some heavy multicore wire and some extra XT60 connectors.

I see your Lipo's you linked to are XT60 but the charger you linked to has all the Deans connectors, just in case you didn't spot it then you might want to get one that's got all Xt60 connections instead (but no great hassle if you don't as you will have spare XT60's you can use).

I also think you might be in need of these if you want to fly as soon as you get it built....

LiPo battery alarm (worth its weight in gold)..
    Maxpro Lipo Battery Monitor Alarm 3,4,5 or 6 Cell to choose from (B55) | eBay

Turnigy ESC programming card (trying to program all four manually listening to the beeps is a nightmare)...
    Turnigy ESC Speed Controller Programming Card *UK* | eBay

XT60 connectors...
    5 x PAIR Of RC XT60 Lipo Battery Connectors & Heat-Shrink Plane Helicopter Quad | eBay

Good wire...
    12 AWG Black red Silicone Wire 2m Lipo Battery Cable | eBay

I think that's about it

Thank Post
    The LiPo's linked were examples/intended, not yet purchased. I'm considering my local model/hobby shop for that so I can get the right bits in one shot and support a local business. Marginally more expensive, but works out roughly same when shipping is included.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=271314515895

Or if you buy anything from hobbyking they are about $8 from the uk warehouse.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, the quad got airborne tonight. He'll of a learning curve, and I'm still not clear on a few things, but very happy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, the quad got airborne tonight. He'll of a learning curve, and I'm still not clear on a few things, but very happy.
    That's excellent news!, do you have any photo's or video to share of your build? it would be great to see some.

Remember if you have any questions or issues then please do ask, if I don't know the answer then I am sure someone else will know and help.

Im starting a new project for over Xmas, I am going to make a mini-hexacopter for some close proximity FPV fun, I am now finding that I am wanting to squeeze the quad into smaller and smaller spaces and being 530mm (644mm with props) that is now becoming an issue... so the mini-hex is born, its from a design called the 'TeslaHex' after the designers username Teslahed.

My current Quad will be converted to be a X8 octocopter to become a gimbal and heavy lift ship, that should be fun on its own.
    Last edited by JAB1a; 9th December 2013 at 09:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    @JAB1a sounds fun

@TwoZeroAlpha yay good fun

Here's my latest 3d printed aluminium build in progress we call her lil blue.

FPV Quadcopter basic parts list (JABcopter)-lil_blue.jpg

Ben

Thank Post
    That looks a nice and strong frame there @plexer, whats the measurement between the motor shafts and are you going to be using smaller motors or using the same size?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread