+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, My window in General; Originally Posted by Ric_ if your kids sat on that windowsill, it appears to be a single piece of wood. ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    if your kids sat on that windowsill, it appears to be a single piece of wood. Piece of wood breaks, the tiny bits of PVC holding the wall up (unless there is an RSJ above the window - which looks unlikely)
    Nah, there's a brick buttress under it. Unless a real cowboy added it as a DIY job, and it doesn't look like it, it will have a lintel above.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Nah, there's a brick buttress under it. Unless a real cowboy added it as a DIY job, and it doesn't look like it, it will have a lintel above.
    We are talking about the same window that appears to have a base made of a single plank of wood?

Thank Post
    One not so attractive idea (unless you get something that looks nice) would be to put a towel or something on the bottom. This would collect the water, get a couple and just cycle through them. It would stop the water pooling, and if you put some plastic down beneath it wouldn't even touch the wood.

My guess as to the problem is just the fact there is a box of glass on the outside of your house, so any moisture in there will immediately condense when it's cold enough on the outside, so any amount of insulation under the box / over the box ain't gonna help that matter. The clear plastic idea would stop the water condensing on the glass so much, but you'd have to make sure you got a decent seal around it, else it will just start to condense within the plastic (like when double glazing glass "blows").

Best solutions are to run a dehumidifier in that room, but then you're not really meant to run them when people are in the room too, especially with children. They are certain circumstances when you might need to, but they are generally designed for that purpose etc. Too dry an air isn't good when breathing it a lot.

The reason it will be better when your curtains are open is that it lets the heat through as well as the moisture so the glass warms slightly, thus not condensing as much of the moisture from the air.

Personally, without spending loads of ££, I would go with my first suggestion, get a couple of hand towels (or whatever size you need to catch the condensed water), and lay then on some plastic and rotate them through (can you tell I live in an old farm house with water features? lol)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    We are talking about the same window
    Dunno, I'm talking about the one with the brick buttress...

My window-window.jpg

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    One not so attractive idea (unless you get something that looks nice) would be to put a towel or something on the bottom. This would collect the water, get a couple and just cycle through them. It would stop the water pooling, and if you put some plastic down beneath it wouldn't even touch the wood.
    +1 - I do this in my bathroom as I get exactly the same problem (plus water from the shower sprays over to the window every once-in-a-while)
    It doesn't look amazing - but it doesn't look ugly either, although granted, a towel in a bathroom doesn't look out of place, any other room, it might. But it's effective nonetheless.

If it's causing any damp, you should be able to get onto your landlord to fix it, considering damp/mold (or is it mould? I never know..) is a health risk

Thank Post
    Replace it with linux.

7. 4 Thanks to laserblazer:

Andrew_C (10th December 2012), Jawloms (10th December 2012), soveryapt (10th December 2012), tech_guy (12th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Replace it with linux.
    I think you missed something from your post ... Surely it should look more like this ...

Replace it with linux.

Thank Post
    Doesn't the indicate that the post has been made in jest?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TBH the buttress makes it look more like a bodge job.

Thank Post
    Replace it with linux.
    Good idea - use a Raspberry Pi with a couple of sensors attached for light and moisture, and a couple of relays to power a motorised curtain rail and the dehumidifier. If you get a certain level of atmospheric moisture in the window area, and it's night-time, the Raspberry Pi triggers the curtain and turns on the dehumidifier. In the morning it turns off the dehumidifier and draws the curtain again. The only drawback I can think of is that you don't really have much control over when the curtain opens, so you might want to always get in the habbit of being fully clothed when you walk past that window.

12. 3 Thanks to dhicks:

Chris_ (10th December 2012), mattlynch (10th December 2012), tech_guy (12th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    TBH the buttress makes it look more like a bodge job.
    Nowt so odd as an architects "taste" in my experience. Especially when they are damned sure that they will never have to live in the house/use the building.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 10th December 2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Now with added "n".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Drill a hole in the bottom to let the water out?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: My window

Take a sledge hammer to it early one morning, phone your landlord/lady and say you woke uo to a horrible noise abductions came down and saw that.

rad
    Thank Post
    Where abouts are you, got a dehumidifier in the loft

My ps old house had a window like that, it had no support underneath and we used to sit in the bay as kids... Was always condensated

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeap go with the polystyrene first as it will be insulation that is the problem, personally I'd go with Poly, building foil then maybe even glass batts before adding another bit of wood underneath it. Once that is done check the drain holes in the windows joinery are not blocked. May be forth trying to get some insulation in the bit above too if it has not been insulated.

If it is already double glased you may get a little extra from a third layer but given the thermal sink that is the lack of insulation of the rest of it, it would make no difference till the rest is fixed up a bit.

I think it will be much better to try and fix the problem rather than treat the symptom by burning through towels and power running all sorts of gear to simply alleviate and not solve the problem.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th December 2012 at 05:26 AM.

18. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Jawloms (11th December 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast