+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
General Chat Thread, Anyone understand satellites? in General; Astra 2F is going to take over from the temp 1N sat, which will reposition to the rest of the ...
  1. #16
    nickbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gilwern, Wales
    Posts
    3,520
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 501 Times in 432 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    Astra 2F is going to take over from the temp 1N sat, which will reposition to the rest of the Astra 1 cluster, thus why the footprints are near identical

  2. #17

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,655
    Thank Post
    849
    Thanked 890 Times in 737 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I remember reading about a chap in USA/Mexico who has an 8 metre dish and a super cooled LNB. He was able to receive channels from Astra 19.2 at certain times of the day.
    AFAIK 19.2E was used by the old Astra 1 series analogue satellites that, according to the @nickbro above didn't use spot beams. I'm guessing the signal had bounced off the atmosphere in a similar fashion to picking up LW radio from the continent? I'm sure the curviture of the earth makes direct line reception impossible from there. Any how I doubt such extreme measure would work on modern satellites with tight transmissions beams - kind of the whole point of them using spot beams

  3. #18

    jinnantonnixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In the Calamatorium.
    Posts
    1,968
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 489 Times in 335 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Aprenda a falar o português e apenas assistir a televisão local
    That's easy for you to say.

  4. #19


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,409
    Thank Post
    1,436
    Thanked 876 Times in 562 Posts
    Rep Power
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Aprenda a falar o português e apenas assistir a televisão local
    We are trying to learn it but it ain't easy and the dialect in the Algarve is very different to Lisbon. Not only that but Coroação Rua is cr@p

    We do have a separate dish on the European satellite and we can get German and Dutch, which we can follow. One of the German channels broadcasts every F1 event, so it's not all gloom and doom. There are also loads of XXX channels, which is interesting because the EPG shows a thumbnail. It can get quite embarrassing searching for stations.

  5. #20

    RabbieBurns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,521
    Thank Post
    1,333
    Thanked 469 Times in 306 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Rep Power
    199
    a lot of the European satellites broadcast a dual audio stream on their programs, so you can change it and watch it in English, especially for the American shows which are dubbed in the local language.

  6. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

    laserblazer (6th December 2012)

  7. #21


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,409
    Thank Post
    1,436
    Thanked 876 Times in 562 Posts
    Rep Power
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    a lot of the European satellites broadcast a dual audio stream on their programs, so you can change it and watch it in English, especially for the American shows which are dubbed in the local language.
    I did look on the menu to see if it offered this but the menu is in Portuguese

  8. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    11
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Even more reason to get a decent (for your country) internet connection, a VPN and get your streams on
    This is what I currently do now as I moved into a new place, I used to have a 1m motorised dish picking up over 20 satellites and it would even get channels from Africa (36 east). I now pay for a service in Sweden called ViaPlay for movies and sports and with a VPN it works great.

  9. #23

    m25man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Romford, Essex
    Posts
    1,625
    Thank Post
    49
    Thanked 460 Times in 336 Posts
    Rep Power
    140
    It doesn't look good for the ex pats The Astra 2 Forum www.astra2.org - Astra 2F Reception

    Im guessing the reason for the tighter beam width and focus is primarily to improve reception in the target footprint whilst keeping transponder power usage as low as possible.
    A side effect is keeping the broadcast contained within UK borders thus complying with the distribution rights of the content owners.

    A user has reported Ch5 @ 45% Signal on a 1.5 Mtr dish which isn't good, jumping to 3mtrs might help (whilst it still bleeds and can be seen you have a chance) but I would expect SRS will gradually reduce power or even use some kind of dynamic TX control which will tweak output based on the UK weather.

    Either way it sounds like its time to get used to the local programming

  10. #24

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,655
    Thank Post
    849
    Thanked 890 Times in 737 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    327
    Surely there must be some way to do some internet jiggery pockery to get web based services like TV Catch-Up, iPlayer, 4OD, etc to work? No need for a 20m dish clinging precariously to your roof tiles or a second home on the isle of sheppey just to host a slingbox

  11. #25


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Surely there must be some way to do some internet jiggery pockery to get web based services like TV Catch-Up, iPlayer, 4OD, etc to work? No need for a 20m dish clinging precariously to your roof tiles or a second home on the isle of sheppey just to host a slingbox
    well i use a firefox plugin called modify headers to fool american tv sites into letting me watch them from the uk (since more4 removed the daily show) google modify headers daily show

  12. #26
    SteveBentley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,438
    Thank Post
    120
    Thanked 263 Times in 189 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Im guessing the reason for the tighter beam width and focus is primarily to improve reception in the target footprint whilst keeping transponder power usage as low as possible.
    A side effect is keeping the broadcast contained within UK borders thus complying with the distribution rights of the content owners.
    I suspect the rights owners are the main reason for this. For a while certain ITV regions weren't available on Freesat (you got a neighbouring region) because there wasn't space on the UK beams for them. They went onto a wider beam and had to be encrypted, so weren't available to Freesat, only Sky.

    The broadcasters have to pay Sky for the encryption platform, so being able to use a UK targetted beam is cheaper for them.

  13. #27


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I suspect the rights owners are the main reason for this. For a while certain ITV regions weren't available on Freesat (you got a neighbouring region) because there wasn't space on the UK beams for them. They went onto a wider beam and had to be encrypted, so weren't available to Freesat, only Sky.

    The broadcasters have to pay Sky for the encryption platform, so being able to use a UK targetted beam is cheaper for them.
    is that why dave isnt on freesat but is on freeview/sky for instance?

  14. #28

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    is that why dave isnt on freesat but is on freeview/sky for instance?
    Sky pay certain channels to keep them exclusive to Sky on satellite. This is how/why in a of respects they have the majority of the market.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone Attend any of the big Lan Events?
    By ChrisH in forum Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17th October 2011, 05:18 PM
  2. Anyone use the Bromcom system?
    By tarquel in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 25th May 2007, 04:11 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20th July 2005, 01:47 AM
  4. Anyone deployed Firefox?
    By eejit in forum Windows
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 1st July 2005, 09:23 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •