+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, George Osborne can't do this job. in General; Originally Posted by sparkeh Wow what a thoroughly depressing view point you have. The aim of every person is to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Wow what a thoroughly depressing view point you have.
    The aim of every person is to make money? I disagree. Its not my aim at all. Of course I wish to provide for my family but my aim is to lead a happy life.
    Truth be told both my wife and I took hefty paycuts to change jobs to lead a much happy, less stressful lives, so no, actually I wouldn't use a morally repugnant loophole to cheat my way to more money.
    money is only important in its abscence

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    money is only important in its abscence
    Like air and sex, then?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    It was the 15 minutes between "episode of IT Crowd on Netflix has finished" and "Eastenders is starting for daughter", and I was sat eating my dinner so had no escape

Still, that Alex Jones. Almost makes it bearable.
    She sounds like a Valleys Girl trying to sound extra-Welsh for the audience.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I'll end up doing something like the person who spoilt their paper during the police commissioner elections did. Crossing everyone else off and writing 'Batman' or 'Officer Crabtree'

Did Officer Dibble not stand for election?

That's a shame.

5. Thanks to Earthling from:

mattx (7th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Urgh I hate this Daily Mail style 'lets bash the people on benefits' talk. Its ugly and plays straight in to the Governments hands.

There's been a lot made over benefits cheats recently which plays to the pitchfork toting masses who feel cheated by people getting stuff for free.
    Some facts:
    1) The Government's own figures put benefit fraud at 1% of the total welfare bill so works out about £1bn, yes a lot of money but:
    2) A conservative estimate of money lost through tax avoidance by the rich is £12bn

So rather than kicking the people at the bottom of society why aren't we angry at the people at the top who are avoiding paying what they morally should and getting richer and richer under the Tory Government?

The Tory toffs must be laughing at us at right now.
    So you hate tabloid-style 'benefit-bashing' which makes spurious claims with dubious figures, but tabloid-style 'tax-avoider bashing' which makes spurious claims with dubious figures is A-OK.

PS - It's not a Tory government.

I think your copy of the Morning Star is poking out from your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I always thought the Guardian talked a lot of common sense.....
    Then it must have been quite a shock to you when you discovered they were wrong about literally every issue in the entire world. They haven't been on the correct side of an argument for 30 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 861 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    They haven't been on the correct side of an argument for 30 years.
    Arrogance at it's best.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Arrogance at it's best.
    Misp'lac'ed apo'strophe's at it's be'st'.

Seriously, tell me what the Guardian is right on. It's wrong on the economy, wrong on immigration, wrong on the EU, wrong on foreign policy, wrong on practically every social issue going. Tell me what they're getting right because I'd love to know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 861 Posts
    Misp'lac'ed apo'strophe's at it's be'st'.

Seriously, tell me what the Guardian is right on. It's wrong on the economy, wrong on immigration, wrong on the EU, wrong on foreign policy, wrong on practically every social issue going. Tell me what they're getting right because I'd love to know.
    It's your assumption that your side of any argument is the "correct" side that is so arrogant, whether I agree with what The Guardian say or not is irrelevant.

10. 3 Thanks to LosOjos:

aerospacemango (11th December 2012), broc (11th December 2012), mattx (12th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Urgh I hate this Daily Mail style 'lets bash the people on benefits' talk. Its ugly and plays straight in to the Governments hands.

So rather than kicking the people at the bottom of society why aren't we angry at the people at the top who are avoiding paying what they morally should and getting richer and richer under the Tory Government?
    Barely read the mail, in fact any newspaper has nothing to do with my hatred towards benefit cheats. I have said it several times I know people (my younger sister for one) who live the life by NOT working. If 1% is pure benefit cheats then what about: Those who use any excuse not to work? Those who have kids so they dont have to work? What % is all of that?

I could name 5 people right now at the top of my head who dont work and dont want to work and use any excuse not to. 5 at the top of my head is a high number, I also have heard stories from real people who have been told "Dump your Boyfriend and as a single mum you will get an additional 500 a month, nicer house and dont have to work". I was shocked the 1st time I heard that and the worst part is - she actualy went to see what help she could get with tax credits etc and that was the response she was given (no joke). She also knew some people who have two kids, 3 bed large house - all paid for.

Worst thing about all this is no one is coming up with a solution, we have created a culture who feel like they DONT need to work. You can not argue that fact, we have created it by giving out money left right and centre and as always the working class get screwed over. My other half was on job seekers allowance for a while and she admitted that she didnt feel the need to push hard to find a job, she would go for a few job interviews every now and then but put no real effort.

Benefit fraud is not what people are complaining about its those who get to live off the system and not work - they are doing nothing illegal. Problem is kids are now thinking they DONT need to work when they leave school, I know several students who have admitted they just want to get pregnant and get a council house. They say that because they see it often, some times their own parents.

Sorry bit of a rant here, having seen so many people through the years who just dont care and use one excuse after another why they can not work. The system is beyong broken and a revamp is seriously needed. As I said before create a credit system to pay bills, would any real honest worker complain about a credit system when they just lost their job to pay bills? I certainly wouldnt.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It's your assumption that your side of any argument is the "correct" side that is so arrogant, whether I agree with what The Guardian say or not is irrelevant.
    Agree entirely with your post.

The arrogance of Flatpackhamster is astounding! That would be like me saying "The Daily Mail is wrong on every single front....Immigration, EU, foreign policy, etc etc".... Just because I do not believe in their politics!

It's always nice to TRY to see the other point of view, even if you are vehemently against it.

13. 3 Thanks to aerospacemango:

broc (11th December 2012), localzuk (11th December 2012), LosOjos (11th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Agree entirely with your post.

The arrogance of Flatpackhamster is astounding! That would be like me saying "The Daily Mail is wrong on every single front....Immigration, EU, foreign policy, etc etc".... Just because I do not believe in their politics!

It's always nice to TRY to see the other point of view, even if you are vehemently against it.
    Funny, I think, that what used to be classified as conviction is now written off as arrogance and dithering and uncertainty are reclassified as broadmindedness. Part of the cultural marxism which classifies all points of view as equally valid. It goes without saying that such thinking is poisonous.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Funny, I think, that what used to be classified as conviction is now written off as arrogance and dithering and uncertainty are reclassified as broadmindedness. Part of the cultural marxism which classifies all points of view as equally valid. It goes without saying that such thinking is poisonous.
    And again, you are being arrogant. Every viewpoint is valid. It might not work, or it might be flawed, but it is still a valid viewpoint. What makes your viewpoint more valid than someone else's? Your view is actually very closed minded as you are unwilling to entertain other ideas as you just instantly classify them as wrong.

Without listening to other views, your argument will never change and that means you will never change as a person. If everyone was like that, we'd still be living in caves.

16. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

aerospacemango (11th December 2012), mattx (12th December 2012)

Thank Post
    It is a sign of a civilised society that we protect the poor & needy. Unfortunately no system is perfect & there will always be a few people who exploit loopholes.... whether they are benefit claimants, global companies avoiding taxes or MPs fiddling their expenses......

I wonder how many people who are so hostile towards people on benefits have paid for work to be done 'cash in hand' to avoid paying VAT? Or have declared any income or gifts they have received for fixing the occasional PC or doing someone a favour? What about being paid for fuel to take someone to the airport/railway station? I suspect most of us at some time or other has broken the rules......

What about the small businesses who purchase items for family & personal use and pay for them as company purchases, presumably to claim as legitimate business expenses against tax..... or provide their wife/partner & kids with 'company cars' & fuel cards?

I have been fortunate to have been fully employed for most of my working life (40+ years) & I don't begrudge people who are in genuine need. I am willing to pay my share, however it saddens me to think we live in a greedy, selfish society where the politics of envy rules.......

18. Thanks to broc from:

aerospacemango (11th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I prefer to see it that "arrogance" was given an acceptable sheen by being called "conviction". However, those days have been and gone, and people are being seen for what they really are.

As @localzuk points out, correctly......

Without listening to other views, your argument will never change and that means you will never change as a person. If everyone was like that, we'd still be living in caves
    By being so closed-minded, you are not allowing yourself to grow as a person, and will always come back to insulting words and a vitriolic answer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456