+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, George Osborne can't do this job. in General; You would think by now that the Government would realise that slash & burn tactics applied to public sector finance ...

Thank Post
    You would think by now that the Government would realise that slash & burn tactics applied to public sector finance are not the answer... look at the state of the southern european countries after their austerity measures.

Equally, indiscriminate public sector spending growth built entirely on borrowing is unlikely to solve the problem.

What we need is for the public sector to get better value for money when it is spending & stop the politicians (local and national) from funding their 'pet' vanity projects & forcing change driven by political dogma, such as in the NHS or with 'free' schools.

PFI & BSF are both prime examples of how the Government wastes money. It beggars belief that successive Govts have employed PFI to keep liabilities 'off the books'.......& mortgaged our future & our childrens future for years to come.

It is ironic that the Govt has a AAA credit rating & can borrow money for ridiculously low interest rates, but it would rather borrow the money to bail the banks out so they can lend money to businesses so they can build Hospitals, Schools & other public works under PFI..... & then have the taxpayer paying commercial interest on repayments (&shareholder profit) for years to come. Why didn't they just borrow the money & build the schools & hospitals themselves?
    Last edited by broc; 5th December 2012 at 12:27 PM.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You would think by now that the Government would realise that slash & burn tactics applied to public sector finance are not the answer... look at the state of the southern european countries after their austerity measures.

Equally, indiscriminate public sector spending growth built entirely on borrowing is unlikely to solve the problem.

What we need is for the public sector to get better value for money when it is spending & stop the politicians (local and national) from funding their 'pet' vanity projects & forcing change driven by political dogma, such as in the NHS or with 'free' schools.

PFI & BSF are both prime examples of how the Government wastes money. It beggars belief that successive Govts have employed PFI to keep liabilities 'off the books'.......& mortgaged our future & our childrens future for years to come.

It is ironic that the Govt has a AAA credit rating & can borrow money for ridiculously low interest rates, but it would rather borrow the money to bail the banks out so they can lend money to businesses so they can build Hospitals, Schools & other public works under PFI..... & then have the taxpayer paying commercial interest on repayments (&shareholder profit) for years to come. Why didn't they just borrow the money & build the schools & hospitals themselves?
    This is a post I can get behind. What's needed - by the politicians and those who like to comment on them - is a bit more direct action on the actual problems and a bit less sniping backwards and forwards with political soundbites.

And a lot less arguing over what colour to paint the shed while the house is still on fire.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I happened to catch a segment on the One Show last night (I still feel dirty) and they were talking about all the expected bad news, then said there is some good news coming - the planned 3p fuel duty rise is expected to be dropped.

That's not good news! That's just an absence of bad news, a negation of previous horror. You can't count that as good!
    Over the past month diesel has gone down by 6p a litre round my neck of the woods. Its now 137.9p a litre.

Its funny how people and the media will moan about a rise (and blame the government), but don't seem to have much to say when it does goes down.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Its funny how people and the media will moan about a rise (and blame the government), but don't seem to have much to say when it does goes down.
    Just human nature, everyone loves a moan.
    When was the last time someone dropped by your helpdesk to say "I just thought I'd mention how nice and fast and reliable the network was today..."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post

being synical its so they can arrange it such that them their buddies can make money off it by bidding / share trading etc

i dont get why the bank bail out cash diddnt come with stings rather than just here have some money as you have proved you cant be trusted with it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Over the past month diesel has gone down by 6p a litre round my neck of the woods. Its now 137.9p a litre.

Lucky you! It's around 139.9 where I live....but that's beside the point.

The point being that the government (And not JUST this current ConDem one) have pushed taxes further and further up. I remember when we had fuel blockades because petrol had hit 1 a litre....I also remember my Dad having a fit when petrol went up from 75 to 77p per GALLON! (1977 before you all ask!)

Those days may be gone, but why shouldn't petrol go down as fast as it goes up? I look forward to the greater transparency" that this government promises....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Lucky you! It's around 139.9 where I live....but that's beside the point.

The point being that the government (And not JUST this current ConDem one) have pushed taxes further and further up. I remember when we had fuel blockades because petrol had hit 1 a litre....I also remember my Dad having a fit when petrol went up from 75 to 77p per GALLON! (1977 before you all ask!)

Those days may be gone, but why shouldn't petrol go down as fast as it goes up? I look forward to the greater transparency" that this government promises....
    it wouldnt be so bad if tax on fuel was spent on roads but motorists are funding everything else and having to put up with a road network that is poor. If its a tax on motorists surely it should be spent on related things if its going to the general pot surely it should be a more general tax

as to transparancy that just means you cant see it job done lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries

I wasn't necessarily having a moan about the price of fuel (136.9 for me now, huzzah. That's still 150 a month though), more the appallingly low standards for "good news" we're now trained to expect from the Chancellor.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We're all going to crash and burn and end up living in caves throwing rocks at each other.

George Osborne can't do this job.-tard.jpg

10. 2 Thanks to tech_guy:

mattx (5th December 2012), Robz (6th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    We're all going to crash and burn and end up living in caves throwing rocks at each other.
    Nope, we're going to go all "Hunger games" on each other.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Excellent! Looking forward to it alrea.....oh wait a minute.... What is Hunger Games? Does it mean we can race through supermarkets stealing food and drink with gay abandon?

Damn....wish I paid more attention to popular culture........Err...wait a minute... No, I don't!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    What is Hunger Games? Does it mean we can race through supermarkets stealing food and drink with gay abandon?
    You're thinking of Supermarket Sweep [with Dale Winton]

14. 2 Thanks to X-13:

Garacesh (6th December 2012), Gibbo (6th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Dibs on the bow and arrows...and Jennifer Lawrence for that matter

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I watched the statement and thought I would provide a summary for those who were not able to:

George Osborne can't do this job.-dads-army-frazier-doomed.png

17. 2 Thanks to sparkeh:

Robz (6th December 2012), tech_guy (5th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Just like George's then.
    Osborne is following the Brown government's plan for deficit reduction.

Way to miss the point though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast