+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I just don't get Windows 8? in General; I just couldnt handle metro when I tried it, wife went beserk too when I stuck it on her laptop ...
    Thank Post
    I just couldnt handle metro when I tried it, wife went beserk too when I stuck it on her laptop for a try, the non-permanence of the start menu also is VERY frustrating and the "hover on part of the screen and hope that the menus display", we are also using Server 2012 as a test on one machine here and RDP is a royal pain in the a*se because of the vanishing "will it, wont it appear" start menu icon on it.

I really do not get who the hell thought that this was such a great idea at M$ to do that to the interface, it is a shame, because the OS does have some other neat features, such as proper ISO integration, which people will skip over I reckon because of that god awful interface.

Glad I am using Fedora/Win7Pro at home

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have been using Windows 8 for sometime to be honest, you don't get forced to use metro really i hardly ever touch the metro UI everything I do on a daily basis I can do from the desktop anyhow... :-) I don't know what all the fuss is about.. it's there but you don't HAVE to use it really!..

James.

Thank Post
    I have been using Windows 8 on my Office laptop for a while now and have been delighted.
    I find Windows 8 to be much faster than windows 7 was on my machine and I love the handy little tools (like winkey and x or the native ISO mounting) I don't use any Metro apps at all but I do prefer the Metro start menu to the wordy windows 7 one.
    it used to be me every time thinking now which company published that program and having to search through the all programs list, which was about a mile long - now I've got handy little icons which I find easier to recognize.

Like EduTech says there is nothing forcing you to use the Metro apps if you don't want to - I surely don't.

The main problem I have found is that I can't centrally pin apps to students/staff Metro start menu on shared computers.
    Some of my adventurous staff have had Win8 installed on their work laptops and love it and I think I will stick to installing it on laptops as management of suites is a bit tricky right now.
    Individual staff can manage their own start menu just as the used to manage their own desktop icons (and still can if they don't like the Metro start screen)
    Besides anything I am in the process of moving our ICT suites to Multipoint Server 2011 which I have found infinitely easier to manage than win8/win7 suites anyway.

Marv

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong though, but when Windows 8 boots, you're presented with Metro by default. This means all those desktop and notebook users will be forced to switch to the 'normal' desktop everytime!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    The search on it is seriously broken too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    In a way I'm kind of glad if Microsoft don't bring out Windows 7 SP2, but just continue with patches. At least they're not going to 'Windows 8 ify' a good OS like Windows 7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong though, but when Windows 8 boots, you're presented with Metro by default. This means all those desktop and notebook users will be forced to switch to the 'normal' desktop everytime!
    Correct, but with a 3rd party tool like Start Is Back i mentioned earlier that I found from another thread here, it lets you go straight to desktop. Its unfortunate indeed that it requires this addition and isnt part of the OS options.

Thank Post
    You are not at all wrong.

When I boot up in the morning the first thing which comes up is the Metro interface I always open Outlook first so I click on the handy Outlook Tile/Icon and it transfers me to the desktop with Outlook open.
    from that point on I only open Metro when I want a new program opened - It might just be convenient for me because of the way I like to work though.
    I like to have an entirely clear desktop with as few icons as possible so flipping to Metro to open apps is great for me.

I know not everyone here has this same compulsion as some users have the most horrendous mess of icons plastered over the desktop - including several folders and files they 'can't afford to loose'
    I don't redirect the desktop folder here so anything stored there is not backed up - staff know this but like to ignore the fact until it is too late >_<

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    We have bought one of our governors a laptop and it came with Windows 8 pre installed.
    This is the first time I have had a chance to play with it and sor far it has me flummoxed!
    There doesn't seem to be any control on the main menu where you have all the tiles, sometimes i try to view the all apps icon but it appears randomly and then disappears. I can't always get a menu to control the order of the tiles.
    I'm not convinced I could give it to the governor without it coming back in a week asking for it to be changed for Windows 7.

Is anyone a convert yet?
    I ran it for a few months, up until the other week when I gave up on it and went back to Windows 7.

There are some nice ideas in Windows 8 but there's a lot that's broken too, starting with that god awful start menu.

It appears to be very divisive; everyone seems to be saying either "it sucks" or "it's great". I've seen very few "meh, whatever" posts about it.

Thank Post
    I have just had to flatten and rebuild our 1st Windows 8 HP Probook with Win 7 as the clubs CMS system (Hosted by Sapient) doesnt support it. For some reason they only support Windows 7 with Chrome which is crazy as it looks to be built on Sharepoint!

Anyway after a week of struggling our press guy said get rid of it... its a crock!

Rebuilt with Win7 and he's happy again

Its definately Marmite, I will persevere a while longer on my desktop but patience is wearing thin. Im sure it will be great on Surface Pro and for that reason alone Im going to ride it out a bit longer but for the time being Im sticking to Win7 on the rest of our desktops.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    I have just had to flatten and rebuild our 1st Windows 8 HP Probook with Win 7 as the clubs CMS system (Hosted by Sapient) doesnt support it. For some reason they only support Windows 7 with Chrome which is crazy as it looks to be built on Sharepoint!

Anyway after a week of struggling our press guy said get rid of it... its a crock!

Rebuilt with Win7 and he's happy again

Its definately Marmite, I will persevere a while longer on my desktop but patience is wearing thin. Im sure it will be great on Surface Pro and for that reason alone Im going to ride it out a bit longer but for the time being Im sticking to Win7 on the rest of our desktops.
    I dont think I'd have the patience for it on a desktop, it's just not nice to use with a mouse. On my tablet however it's great (can't believe I just said that about something MS, flog me now :shame: ). It is so much easier to use on a tablet than W7. The metro interface is ok, I know where everything is, it's just easy. I wouldn't however, even consider using this on my desktop(s) or in a business environment. It's a tab OS plain and simple.

DT
    Last edited by DT2; 5th December 2012 at 12:58 PM.

Thank Post
    I've just upgraded my administrative machine to Win8 this morning. So far:-

I'd like to add that the new Server Manager is *fantastic*. Much better than previous. Server 2008 R2 and earlier need to have Windows Management Framework 3.0 installed.

Annoyingly though:-

Hyper-V Manager is incompatible with earlier Hyper-V 2008. There's no workaround, except to manage Hyper-V from Server 2008 R2, or upgrade Hyper-V to 2012.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I love it until i cant find something!
    +1 here.

Looked at the bosses new sony laptop - very nice and with Windows 8 I can see what its about but the laptop didnt have touch screen. I straight away plugged in a normal mouse because I hate the touchpads.

I got no problem with it, I can see me sticking it on a PC at some point and seeing what I can do with it on domain.

14. Thanks to mthomas08 from:

speckytecky (5th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've given up on it too; I installed it on my main PC at home and I had revolt in the household - both my daughter and my wife insisted I removed it and put Windows 7 back up. I too started to get more and more frustrated with it.

And, don't get me started with Office 2013 - installed that and setup Outlook 2013 connecting to my wife's e-mail server using IMAP - the default settings proceeded to delete all her e-mails over a certain age along with not bothering with sent items. As a result, she's lost nearly two years worth of business related e-mails and I'm really in the dog house at the moment!!!

Microsoft have really made me rethink about my career in IT.

Pete

Thank Post
    I had to google how to shut it down!

This is another Windows ME fiasco

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast