+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Snow! in General; No snow, but plenty of ice.. Car frozen solid this morning - managed to get one door (Front Passenger) open ...

Thank Post
    No snow, but plenty of ice..
    Car frozen solid this morning - managed to get one door (Front Passenger) open and the car started and defrosting whilst I scraped the ice off the windows.
    Then tired to get the other doors open - only for the previously open door to swing shut and refuse to open.

Cue me now stood outside with the car running and all doors locked or frozen shut

Eventually, thanks to the wonderful Mrs Gatt bringing the spare key, managed to get the passenger door open again and by the time I got to work all doors had defrosted.

Felt a right muppet...

2. Thanks to Gatt from:

mac_shinobi (15th January 2013)

Thank Post
    No more snow whatsoever. Le sigh.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Tiny amount of snow in night which had started to thaw then froze again. Thank heavens for my little Fiesta's heated windscreen... I was ready to go much quicker than my husband with his Volvo :smug:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My wife woke me up in the early hours to tell me it was snowing. When I got up this morning I checked. No snow!
    She told me she had woken me to tell me I was snoring

6. 3 Thanks to Dos_Box:

j17sparky (15th January 2013), Smee (15th January 2013), witch (15th January 2013)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Where are these chaotic blizzards? Where are the deathtrap ice patches on the roads? I didn't even have to de-ice the car this morning.

Weatherman you lie again. D:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Where are these chaotic blizzards? Where are the deathtrap ice patches on the roads? I didn't even have to de-ice the car this morning.

It was sheet ice in my neighbourhood this morning. Thankfully we had invested in a couple of windscreen covers which nicely negates the need to scrape the windscreen in the morning. Just all of the others to do though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    I watched the news last night and decided there was no news.

It's winter. Some snow fell. Not a lot really. Some cars crashed. The trains coped.

Was it really worth every news programme, and presumably every paper this morning, padding it out into a disaster story?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post

I'm beginning to think that the Weathermen have been told to 'sex up' their act, go a little bit sensationalist, like the rest of the news media. Back before Xmas, we had dire warnings of 'The Beast from The East' which was going to put us all in a near Ice Age for the rest of the winter.

What happened? Here, we had a couple of really very cold (not freezing, though) days, with crystal clear sunshine. So much for The Beast from The East.

Yesterday, we were all sent home at 3.00 pm and at that time the snow was coming down really heavily. Ten minutes later, by the time I'd got home and indoors, it had stopped and was beginning to clear from the roads.

So disappointing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had a massive load of snow dump on us yesterday afternoon, took me an hour and a half to get home, crawling along at 15mph down a diversion by the end. Still with a Seat 2m from my rear bumper, of course, because it's not Lincolnshire if there's not another car up your backside and trying to overtake on blind corners.

Took me twenty minutes to defrost my car this morning, honest to god it was nearly half an inch of ice on my windscreen where snow had frozen solid on it. I was already half an hour late from waiting on a text from the Head about the website update, which meant I missed my slot in the bathroom and had to wait for my 11yo daughter to finish, so by the time I left my drive it was about the time I should have been in work... and then as soon as I did arrive Reception were phoning my mobile because there was an MFL exam that needed setting up in a computer room that we'd not been told about. Fun and games!

All that, though, and I'm still sat in work with little prospect of further snow to give me a day off. Bah!

@witch - as others say, it's less about the state of the school and more about the state of the roads in the local villages a lot of the time. In the past we've had our hand forced by the bus companies wanting to get the job done early before the roads deteriorate anymore.

Thank Post
    snowing here now. rated it 5/10 on uksnowmap

Thank Post
    Just ice here today. Snow yesterday, but to my amazement as I was yard-brushing the snow off the car and looking at the road with a "well, this will be fun" thought, a tractor shot past my drive with a plough on it. 6.50am. I live on an estate too...unexpected. All roads in and out, and round about literally were clear. The snow tyres were barely getting their treads wet.

90% gone by last night. Followed by a hard freeze. So I couldn't open the car doors this AM. Door handles were creaking alarmingly, so I got in through the boot and braced myself against the P/S door to open the Drivers door with my boot. Then started it, locked it with the spare and left it to warm up and defrost while I had a cuppa, and a cuddle with the boy, and got the girlchild ready for nursery.

Then in we jump, and gently off to work. Ice? Not even noticed..LOVE my tyres.

Thank Post
    Well considering the weather reports are saying its supposed to be clear skies and sunny...there is a lot of snow falling here

Thank Post
    8/10 now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No snow, no ice... Just cold.

Thank Post
    Cold - but blue skies and sun.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread