+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Qualifications, Qualifications Qualifications..... in General; Hello Hope the summer holidays is going well for most people, whether you are having a summer clear-out, or like ...
    Thank Post

Qualifications, Qualifications Qualifications.....

Hello

Hope the summer holidays is going well for most people, whether you are having a summer clear-out, or like me planning your fantasy premeir league squad lol.

I have been working as an IT Technician in a secondary school for a few months now, and I am enjoying learning new technical skills. Prior to being an IT "techie" I completed my teacher training (PGCE) and before that I spent 4 years at uni doing a computing science degree. I am a proactive person and always looking at what I want to do next. A friend of the family who has worked in the IT industry has recommended that I complete the MCSE qualification.

My question is this
    a) How beneficial is this course?
    b) How do I go about doing it if it is beneficial (would the Open University do it)
    c) whats the cost involved
    d) How easy is it? (Its Micropoo so it cant be that hard, wait...it probably is)

I would not like to see the time spent getting the teaching qualification going totally down the toilet, so I have been looking into posts that combine IT and educational aspects such as E Learning

I seem to have spent most of my life learning and none of it earning, and just exactly how many qualifications do you need to have to get anywhere in this business?

Firefox_2006

Thank Post

Re: Qualifications, Qualifications Qualifications.....

What is it your wantinng to do career wise?

MCSE is a well reconognised qualification, and worth having if you want to be a system admin, and would be a good start if you wanted to teach MS systems to students.
    You can study at home, at most colleges on a night class and through alot of testing organisations.
    Cost varies alot from place to place. If you just want the qualification you can study at home and just pay for the exam. Or night clases at colleges seem reasonably priced.

How easy is it? Well thats upto you but one thing ive been told is they want you to do it the "microsoft way". For example theres several ways to get to the device manager but only one way is "correct".
    I havnt actually done the MCSE exam myself but am confident i could pass it first time. Ive been told by people who have done both the MCSE and the (cisco) CCNA that the MS one is a peice of pish compared to the CCNA, and from my experiannce the CCNA is a peice of pish itself.

I belive the whole MS exam(s) are multiple choice so...

Thank Post

Re: Qualifications, Qualifications Qualifications.....

^Umm...an MCSE is not just 1 exam. It WOULD be easy if that was the case
    I think its a total of 7, broken down into various sections, and the last few you can choose a specific one

With experiance already the first few exams shouldnt be that hard, but its probably still worth looking through some books to discover 'Microsoft's way', which isnt always the most logical way or the way you would do things in real life

With enough studying the others shouldnt be too bad either.

Me personally, I'm one exam away from the MCSA, I need to re-take the 70-291 but while I could probably do it, revising the material is incredibly boring, so I end up learning about other things. Ironically the ones after the 291, that would take it upto a MCSE look far more interesting. Its just a question of motivating myself to do the boring one

Thank Post
    where is the best place to find out more information on CCNA and MCSE?

And how often can you take the exams?

Thanks!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firefox_2006 View Post
    Hello

Hope the summer holidays is going well for most people, whether you are having a summer clear-out, or like me planning your fantasy premeir league squad lol.

I have been working as an IT Technician in a secondary school for a few months now, and I am enjoying learning new technical skills. Prior to being an IT "techie" I completed my teacher training (PGCE) and before that I spent 4 years at uni doing a computing science degree. I am a proactive person and always looking at what I want to do next. A friend of the family who has worked in the IT industry has recommended that I complete the MCSE qualification.

My question is this
    a) How beneficial is this course?
    b) How do I go about doing it if it is beneficial (would the Open University do it)
    c) whats the cost involved
    d) How easy is it? (Its Micropoo so it cant be that hard, wait...it probably is)

I would not like to see the time spent getting the teaching qualification going totally down the toilet, so I have been looking into posts that combine IT and educational aspects such as E Learning

I seem to have spent most of my life learning and none of it earning, and just exactly how many qualifications do you need to have to get anywhere in this business?

Firefox_2006
    MCSE - Good Qualification, as I've said before I wouldnt care if you had a MCSE, doesnt prove you are good technically at XP or Vista.

Not a single company I've ever worked for has asked for this or care about it.

Regards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    ^Umm...an MCSE is not just 1 exam. It WOULD be easy if that was the case
    I think its a total of 7, broken down into various sections, and the last few you can choose a specific one
    I've been looking into this for both my techies and myself recently. Heres what I've found.

MSCE is basically a self study course with a series of exams at the end. I haven't found details of how long maximum you can take between exams. Each exam gives you an MCP qualification.

The current 2008 series (MCITP) is made up of 6 exams, from which you take 5. The first three are compulsory, followed by a choice between two, followed by another compulsory exam.

The books from somewhere like Amazon cost 100. You are recommended to have a virtual server running Windows 2008 (2003 for the previous exam) and a few Vista (or XP) clients, in a test network to play with.

You can you on professional courses for this which run into 1000's.

The actual exams cost 88 each through Prometric.

See attached PDF.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qualifications, Qualifications Qualifications.....-windows_server_certification_path.pdf  

Thank Post
    I wouldnt care if you had a MCSE, doesnt prove you are good technically at XP or Vista.
    XP & Vista are desktop support.

An MCSE is about more, but I still wouldn't care much about it compared to what the experience says. But given a pile of CVs, especially if when they're going through an HR department or some external agency, things like a tick in the MCSE box can count.

[Factor in the credit crunch and maybe they'll count more - I don't know]

Thank Post
    Great forum dedicated to IT certification with a fair few Edugeek members there also. Check it out as they always have great advice and info on all of this.

CertForums

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread