+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, self pity post.... in General; @ Little-Miss I am glad you did lay out how you feel because as you can see from the responses ...
    Thank Post
    @Little-Miss I am glad you did lay out how you feel because as you can see from the responses your not the only that may feel that way and we kinda get lost into the idea that we are. Keep your chin up. We all think that sometimes even I do but don't let it get to you.

No ones perfect and we as humans are always learning no one knows everything.

Listen to this and start your day on a good note. The Avengers Assemble - Main theme - Extended (HD) - YouTube

2. Thanks to north-ict from:

Little-Miss (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    Oh this post has been such a good one to read on a Monday morning! There is so much I don't know and so much I need to learn. Being a lone tech and now supporting 8 different primaries is a minefield - my credit is good in some, but in others I am trying to work my way through someone else's setup and it feels like I'm plaiting fog at times!

My confession is the PC that I couldn't get to attach to a wireless network for 3 months and had sent away twice for maintenance. Turns out I was entering an "!" instead of a "1" in the wireless password - and it was Windows XP so I couldnt't even view it!!

I always think IT is such a flipping hard profession sometimes because we spend a lot of our time dealing with problems .. sometimes there's just one problem too many!

4. 2 Thanks to kaphc:

Little-Miss (3rd December 2012), Roberto (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    My confession is the PC that I couldn't get to attach to a wireless network for 3 months and had sent away twice for maintenance. Turns out I was entering an "!" instead of a "1" in the wireless password - and it was Windows XP so I couldnt't even view it!!
    Now THAT is the sort of problem I mean - you need never actually admit to that to anyone at all. YOU know you did it, and YOU know you won't do it again but "they" don't need to know!

I often feel that everyone else is allowed to make mistakes except us- we are just considered incompetent if we do....

Thank Post
    Just reminds me of the difference between "principle" and "principal" in powershell, spent days working that one out before I could put the year 7s on

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I often feel that everyone else is allowed to make mistakes except us- we are just considered incompetent if we do....
    See, I find myself quite often faced with some piece of software I've never seen before, and told to fix some problem; when I've never seen it working.

Anyone who complains about me taking some time in that situation faces my wrath. They normally only do it once...

Thank Post
    You see, none of us knows it all. Anyone that thinks they do is probably dangerous! Edugeek is a bit like The Borg (with apologies for the Star Trek analogy), when your day is done you can plug in to the collective knowledge of all these people for help!

Personally I have been doing my job for nearly 22 years and cannot believe that no one has yet rumbled that I'm totally incapable and have got by mainly by luck! It's called Impostor Syndrome. Look it up.

@Little-Miss hope your day was better today!
    Last edited by GeeHubb; 3rd December 2012 at 07:22 PM.

9. 2 Thanks to GeeHubb:

Little-Miss (4th December 2012), Roberto (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    @Little-Miss this on is especially for you

self pity post....-gir-12.jpg
    Last edited by witch; 4th December 2012 at 10:13 AM.

11. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

Little-Miss (4th December 2012)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeHubb View Post
    You see, none of us knows it all. Anyone that thinks they do is probably dangerous!
    I'd agree with that - the most important thing to know in IT is your own limits. Simply being aware that you don't know it all makes you much more valuable to those around you than the people who never learn and blunder into bad situations time and time again @Little-Miss.

I've been doing this for about 20 years and I am still learning and still make my share of cock-ups. @Norphy could regale you with a few tales of stupid things I've done, $deity knows.
    Last edited by Roberto; 4th December 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeeHubb
    You see, none of us knows it all. Anyone that thinks they do is probably dangerous!
    ++Rep

I remember an awful night on here when I had the HT's PC at home after a disastrous day attempting to reinstall XP. Anything that I could have done wrong, I did. It wasn't like it was something I hadn't done before.. it was bread and butter stuff. And then when I did get the thing to boot, the ethernet port wouldn't work and I couldn't track down a driver. I felt like someone with 2.5 days experience, not 25 years

Sometimes what it actually needs is someone who is just a few steps away from the problem in hand. People like that on here, calm you down and make you think logically about what you've actually done and what you need to do next. It is so hard when you work alone; there is nobody to make you a cup of tea and let you talk it through.

Thank <Deity> for edugeek!

14. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Little-Miss (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @HaleStorm! Girrr!!!

I love you guys....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to add to the "tales of stupidity", I've been a bit thick this morning.

Got in late for the first time in months cos knackered and ice on car, only to find that nearly all the virtual servers were off including the main DC and no-one could print, internet was slow (primary DNS offline), email wasn't working (Exchange's preferred DC off)... worked out what the problem was with the cluster storage volume, manually migrated and booted the problematic VMs on the second server, had everything back up and running. Thought right, now that's working, let's reboot the physical server that's whinging about the storage (SCSI reservations lingering from a borked backup that was a result of lots of fun with power outages on Monday).

Accidentally clicked log out. Grr. Remote back in. Use command prompt instead, shutdown /r /f /t 2. Sorted.

Wait, why is everything broken again.

Hang on.

OH B0770(KS RESTARTED THE WRONG PHYSICAL HOST

/had remoted into the other host then run the shutdown command

I'm now making some nice, plain blue backgrounds with the server name written in 300pt writing for each server. If only there was a quicker fix for my morning stupidity. Coffee is too slow!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Just to add to the "tales of stupidity", I've been a bit thick this morning.

Got in late for the first time in months cos knackered and ice on car, only to find that nearly all the virtual servers were off including the main DC and no-one could print, internet was slow (primary DNS offline), email wasn't working (Exchange's preferred DC off)... worked out what the problem was with the cluster storage volume, manually migrated and booted the problematic VMs on the second server, had everything back up and running. Thought right, now that's working, let's reboot the physical server that's whinging about the storage (SCSI reservations lingering from a borked backup that was a result of lots of fun with power outages on Monday).

Accidentally clicked log out. Grr. Remote back in. Use command prompt instead, shutdown /r /f /t 2. Sorted.

Wait, why is everything broken again.

Hang on.

OH B0770(KS RESTARTED THE WRONG PHYSICAL HOST

/had remoted into the other host then run the shutdown command

I'm now making some nice, plain blue backgrounds with the server name written in 300pt writing for each server. If only there was a quicker fix for my morning stupidity. Coffee is too slow!
    I can identify with all the above...

I have put a text document on each desktop so I know which is which out of our two identical servers...

Thank Post
    I think you hit a chord here. I am regularly called by other techies for advice and yet consider myself next to clueless ( I have, for example several times followed your advice,little miss).
    As a lone tech with a brief that includes almost anything with electrcity and most mechanical things it is easy to feel overwhelmed. My last call to microsoft for an exchange issue required 4 separate experts to answer and not one of them knew the whole story for this one application and I finally ended up with a workaround rather than a fix so how can we really be expected to know everything about everything on our own?
    I am currently being hassled by my head because his new Nexus hasn't arrived 24 hours after ordering so I am not sure which is worse getting the blame for stuff that is either nothing to do with you or you have repeatedly warned against or when you have just performed a technical miracle there is no one who even understands what it is that you have done.....
    But if it didn't have downsides it couldn't have good days either and for me I drop off my kids with me in the morning, pick them up at 3:20 and see them through the day and that , as they say is priceless.

Thank Post
    None of us know it all and none of us will ever stop learning - it's the nature of the beast. I do sympathise with the view that, whilst those around us at work seem to make terrible mistakes and appear to get away with it, we are held to higher standards. Ours, by its very nature, is a field where accuracy is paramount, and being 99.99999 % accurate won't get the job done. Nonetheless, the very least we can do is not beat ourselves up when things go wrong.

20. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

Little-Miss (5th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparker View Post
    ....( I have, for example several times followed your advice,little miss)....

Really?! That's twice today....i'm on a roll!

I'm certainly feeling a lot better that its not just me. Still feeling frustrated about it all at the moment, maybe i just need a holiday....or a baby or something to actually worry about.

Sometimes you can come on here and ask a question and people are trying to help but it just looks another language, it can be intimidating. The thing about Edugeek is that its not very often you get berated for asking certain questions. I think once or twice i've had "well, if you don't know that you shouldn't be doing your job blah blah" which irritates me more than upsets. Though now I've got to the point where i hold my hands up and just say "right, here's Little-Miss again with one of her questions" and i don't mind that. I just think that there maybe someone out there with that same question who stumbles across my post and it helps them.

Tis why i love Edugeek.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast