+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, self pity post.... in General; Come to think of it there was also the 'eep the raid card on the one and only server has ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Come to think of it there was also the 'eep the raid card on the one and only server has gone' moment fixed thanks to cooler heads on here that reminded me to check the SCSI lead was actually plugged in to it properly, it, um wasn't

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    ... and the exhausted pre-inspection me that managed to deny the master Administrator account permission to look at the staff shared drive late one Sunday afternoon.

Don't know why I did it or even what I thought I was doing at the time. It wasn't hard to fix, but it didn't half make me panic!

I agree with @clareq though, mastery of Google is the only qualification I feel I have at times. My IT qualifications are carved into stone tablets because they're so old. BSc Computer Studies from Lancaster Uni 1985 any use now?! (Over 25 years employment in IT doesn't feel like relevant experience when things are going belly up either )
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 30th November 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Im in same boat little miss...

ive had a crap week, I cant progress in my job as theres no one above me and ive been told im not getting more hours, Ive had teachers whinge and whine because I asked for thier laptops to update some software.

I often wonder what a new job outside IT would be like but its playing with them and repairing them that brings me back plus one of the schools I work in are so grateful and nice to be around I dont want to leave just yet.

Ive only got a college cert, rest is experience or research.

all the best little miss.

4. Thanks to hardtailstar from:

Little-Miss (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    No certs here either!

I used to know a guy who was a network consultant for a bank, and on a number of occasions he told me about ppl that went for interview for job doing .. network/systems stuff, and he was shocked at the lack of technical knowledge of some of them, and they had certs! He always said to me that having certs does not mean you can do the job.

I started this in 2007 coz i was bored working in an office. I heard about a place that would employ novices and train them .. so i applied and got a job.
    At the interview they asked me what i knew about networking .. "sod all, i've played around with 1 or 2 computers at home and 'networked' them with a netgear router". That was as much as i knew. Told them flat out i know nothing about servers, but i built my own computer at home and could do basic troubleshooting.
    Google is a friend indeed ... they said that at my interview, if you dont know the answer to something check google first (i was like wtf!). I since learned this is so true and provides a lot of answers.

Best thing they did for me was put me in a school that was so badly run, i couldnt fail to make it better .. i learned a lot there.
    Now i run a small primary school on my own and still dont think i know a lot. I know enough to get me by there, with some ease, but that's coz i try to keep things simple. I dont look to bring in lots of complicated technologies and 'hard to manage' stuff, for 2 reasons: some of it is overkill for what they need and coz i know i will struggle to fit it all in my brain.

Lately i have had thoughts about moving on to something else, dont know if i will tho. And thats just because its a never ending line of new technologies emerging and research into what would work for the school ... and i cant be doing with seeing no light at the end of that tunnel anymore.

Guess we've all been there

Anyway .. that's my 2c
    @Little-Miss PM me if you feel like chatting to a stranger and i'll help where i can ... if you wish. Keep chin up
    Last edited by detjo; 30th November 2012 at 06:21 PM.

6. Thanks to detjo from:

Thank Post
    I started at a new place in April, 2 months before my daughter was born, so A big risk. I went from a comfy job in the same school my wife was a TA at to a network manager in a large middle school. I got given 170k to spend.

I have no certs, no training. I had google and edugeek. I built a new network from scratch and doings thing I had never done before.

Week before last, one lunchtime people can't save. Next minute 4 days of downtime and having to restore data from a system I had spent 22k on making redundant.

Why? I pressed the snapshot button in testing, and forgot about it. I have never hated and doubted myself so much.

But I fixed it. I took a step back and trusted myself. You can do the same. Good luck!

8. 2 Thanks to mattianuk:

Little-Miss (3rd December 2012), maestromasada (1st December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Hugs for you Little Miss Were all here for you as we all have these days/weeks/months/terms/years... x

10. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I feel exactly the same way as you do, @Little-Miss and in fact in one of my schools I begged for some external support as I really couldnt cope on my own.
    I have electronics certs from long ago and a partner who knows everything, but my knowledge is empirical - and so I cannot work backwards to work out what the heck has gone wrong as I dont know how to build from the bottom up.
    But remember that the flip side of people getting cross with you because things arent done, is that most of the time they have absolutely NO idea what you do and so you can blind them with science to some extent. You may know that you are not coping with an issue, but they dont know that.
    Google and edugeek will sort you out - and a local friendly geek who can help and is prepared to pop in or spend hours on the phone is the absolute best. There have been times when I couldnt have coped without Adams Dad @bossman and @Brpilot99 to name but two of the many who have helped.
    Hugs to you, Little Miss xx
    Last edited by witch; 30th November 2012 at 11:34 PM.

12. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Domino and @Ric - been there on the shutting down the wrong box! I shutdown a live HyperV host the other day by mistake, causing mass failover...groan! It happens to us all! Hope all is ok @Little-Miss, lots of EduHobnobs. This is what the community is for, Ive been working with preferences for a while - anything I can take a look at? Drop me a PM...

14. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

Thank Post
    Been there, done that.

Just remember - everyone else thinks you're a 'wizz' with IT, and never forget those moments when 'It doesn't work' turns out to to be its not plugged in or whatever....

They look to you because you give them hope, and......' its got a plug on it' - so Little Miss will know..........

Chill. If we can, we'll help.

Its always something simple. something we've missed, something we didn't know about, something that with a couple of clicks - or lines of code that we can do. If its not, start from the beginning, start simple, start afresh.

The weekend is here. relax, wine, movie, pamper, beer - whatever it is. It will come to you - you just gotta relax.

If it doesn't, post here, see what the rest of us think.

Never forget - we've all been there, all dreaded Monday morning......

16. Thanks to daveyboy from:

Thank Post
    OK, OK, OK you wanna example?

Once, I banned '.com' on our proxy server - thinking about those dangerous batch files..................

(It really wasn't me - and if you're reading this YOU know who you are - but I'll take the rap for it ! ....)
    Last edited by daveyboy; 1st December 2012 at 12:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Been there myself too .... failed my CCNA by 2 points and was gutted took me weeks to pick myself up and carry on... even though I failed it I still managed to get a job in networking and I've learnt more than Cisco could ever teach me..... It's all about getting stuck in and being confident and having oodles of patience, and what youve got to do is when you think the job is at its lowest inject some fun into it by learning something new, I've been bored doing the same thing day after day and had considered a change in career but the truth is I love it.. it;s hard wired into me...... If I get bored I go on ebay looking for books on various things in IT like BIND for example and JUNOS, and will put a lab together and learn!

I think its therapeutic.....

19. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @Little-Miss:

I actually uninstalled our DNS by ticking a box as I hadn't read the screen properly, I didn't realise until a couple of calls later when endusers rang the helpdesk, it was then an uneducated guess to go back in and untick the box and re-install DNS, luckily the config files were still there and DNS just recreated itself hehe! @webman will tell you what a total idiot I felt that day and still feel bad about it today.......but I can now laugh about it.

@Little-Miss:
    There is one little secret I can let you in on is................................................ ..The secret of the universe is...............................42
    Never forget that and you will go very far my friend.

We all think very highly of you so don't ever reproach yourself............................that's an order hehe!

21. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let us not forget the relevant xkcd comic:

self pity post....-tech_support_cheat_sheet.png

23. 3 Thanks to sonofsanta:

jamin100 (3rd December 2012), Little-Miss (3rd December 2012), mattlynch (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You guys are the bestest.... :')

*rolls up sleeves* Right, lets try again...

Think biggest thing is i'm still dealing with the mess of rushed post-fire installs. Had no time to stop and take stock of the situation...
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 3rd December 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Absolutely been there, felt that.

Looking back over my 42 years, there's been many times I've felt that way. Moving from one mainframe to another, moving from mainframes to pc networking, starting a new contract was always difficult, not knowing what you're going to find, who you're going to find, and quite frequently in a strange place away from home and family.......and then Microsoft release another new version of Windows and off we go again.

Would I have changed any of it? Nope.

Would I have done anything else? Probably, if I could have found anything else I was this good at faking.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast