+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Books for Christmas in General; Originally Posted by tmcd35 Paperback? Running out of room? Why no Kindle? I swore I'd never use one (love the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Paperback? Running out of room? Why no Kindle? I swore I'd never use one (love the feel of paper and seeing how far through a physical book you are) but I have to admit, I've read a number of books inc. all 6 Game of Throne tombs on the iPad Kindle, I really do like the whole portability thing!
    Kindles are fantastic, reading Perdido Street Station in paperback is doing my head in compared to the ease of reading on the Kindle. I thought I missed books, but I didn't

You also got me all excited that the Winds of Winter had come out and I was behind a book on ASOIAF. I'm not, but in my brief investigations I did find a free chapter GRRM has posted from TWOW on his site. Hurrah! Know what I'm reading this lunchtime.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Is it only SF he likes, or does he like fantasy as well? Possibly the best books I've ever read are George R. R. Martins - 'A Song of Fire and Ice' (known as 'Game of Thrones' on the telly box). Truely Epic!

For Hard SF I've yet to read anything better than Ben Bova's Mars and Mars Returns.

Then there's the classics he's almost certainly already read... Dune series, Greg Bears 'Eon' series, Arthur C Clarks 'Odyssey' series.

If you can track a copy down Pier Anthony did a kids book called 'A Race of Time' which I thought was particularly good.

In the Sci-Fi/Fantasy vain, another good read (or at least first trilogy was) is Stephen Donaldsons 'The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever' series.

The Thrawn trilogy extends the Star Wars universe better than I'm expecting Disney to. I'm also partial to the odd William Shatner Star Trek tie in .

I tried Steven King's gunslinger series but after about three books I found that they were getting longer and more drawn out with each edition. I think I made to 5/7 and gave up!
    Read or discarded them all I'm afraid

As for why no kindle. I have one but I only use it if in the car or on holiday. mrwITch shows no interest at all. But I could download a couple of books onto mine for him to read over Christmas
    I love books. They furnish a room like nothing else. You can run your eyes along the spines until something you fancy re-reading catches your eye. The weight, the smell, the whole "bookiness" of a book is very special to me.
    The kindle is fine and I love it but I read so fast that I end up turning the page very often which drives me up the wall. If I put the print as smaller for some reason I cant read it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345