+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Books for Christmas in General; Not a graphic novel but a novelisation of the comics by Greg Rucka. Batman No mans land I throughly enjoyed ...
    Thank Post
    Not a graphic novel but a novelisation of the comics by Greg Rucka. Batman No mans land I throughly enjoyed reading that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Just read them (well, listened, car audiobooks) and they're cracking books, but they're much closer to fantasy than sci-fi. Not your standard fantasy, but still, everything is vaguely hand-waved and mystical.

<SNIP>.
    Did both, read them all, then listened on audio book. Two absolutely top rate readers, George Guidall and Frank Muller. Wolves of The Calla came alive when I listened to it. I've listened to a lot of audio books, but that one stopped me in my tracks.

Since I read those, I haven't wanted to read anything else. The whole series sort of fulfilled everything I'd been looking for in Fantasy and Sci-Fi, but, as you say, can't be strictly classified as either.

'Go then, there are other worlds than these'.

Thank Post
    Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman.. So American Gods needs to get a mention.

Again a tad old so he may have already read it.

Thank Post
    The Boing Boing gift guide is normally quite good for new stuff, books and other fun.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    It is likely that he has either read or dismissed older stuff - I know we have both read all the Stephen Kings and the Neil Gaimans sound very familiar. Will look at Peter Hamilton, Philip Reeve and Neil Asher.
    Just for info, on the shelf next to me we have:
    Frank Herbert Richard Morgan, Allen Steele, Michael Cobley,Iain M Banks, Ian Banks, Tolkein, Heinlein, most older scifi writers - Asimov, Le Guin Harrison etc
    Its hard though as we go to the library every week so he doesnt actually buy many books - which doesnt help when it comes to working out what he has and hasnt read!.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seeing as graphic novels have been mentioned, may I suggest The Ballad of Halo Jones: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Bal...4124796&sr=8-1
    It's a modern classic by Alan Moore. I say Modern, but it's 30 years old now!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Thought you said "50 Shades of Grey" for a minute there! The steampunk sounds good - do you think he is old enough at 53?
    The Mortal Engines set is fab - I see Mr Witch is the same age as me - so I should think he'll enjoy them. Has he done Charlie Higson's "The Enemy" set? If he's not offended by teen fiction, they're worth a go as are the Skulduggery Pleasants, HIVE and CHERUB books - the joys of having a teenage son...

Thank Post
    Has he read Alastair Reynolds' books?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    The Mortal Engines set is fab - I see Mr Witch is the same age as me - so I should think he'll enjoy them. Has he done Charlie Higson's "The Enemy" set? If he's not offended by teen fiction, they're worth a go as are the Skulduggery Pleasants, HIVE and CHERUB books - the joys of having a teenage son...
    Well we have two sons who were teenagers fairly recently - one loved the artemis fowl books and the other was either reading things like "The Road" or Hitchhikers Guide
    I will have a look at your suggestions @Flatpackhamster - yes, he has read Alastair Reynolds
    I was trying to think what he might say were his favourite books - not known for rabid enthusiasm about anything, my mrwITch isn't...but I think the Dune books come close. I know he has bought every one and all the spinoffs and follow ups.

Thank Post
    Another vote for the Mortal Engines series, there are also the 3 prequels that are superb:
    Fever Crumb
    A Web of Air
    Scriveners Moon

Thank Post
    Also have a look at 3 books by Ben Aaronovitch:
    Rivers of London
    Moon Over Soho
    Whispers Underground

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was trying to think what he might say were his favourite books - not known for rabid enthusiasm about anything, my mrwITch isn't...but I think the Dune books come close. I know he has bought every one and all the spinoffs and follow ups.
    Based on that, and the fact it hasn't been mentioned yet, maybe Dan Simmons' Hyperion series? Not necessarily new, though, so there's a fair chance he has read him.

If it was fantasy I could throw a good few new authors at you, but I'm not as up to speed on my modern sci-fi I fear. John Scalzi is about as modern as I'm aware of for SF (Old Man War etc., but that was on @JJonas' graphic earlier so may have been read).

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I'd suggest Un Lun Dun (or The Scar or possibly Perdido Street Station). Thought Kraken was a bit disappointing.
    Just getting into Perdido Street Station now (and now I think about it, Un Lun Dun is 4 chapters or so in on my Kindle). The link between Miéville's appearance and his literary obsession with strange-things-happening-to-bodies is becoming increasingly clear! Love him though, The City & The City was just magnificent.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 29th November 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Thank Post
    He does read some fantasy. Will have a look at your suggestion ta
    China Miéville looks interesting
    Last edited by witch; 29th November 2012 at 08:39 AM.

Thank Post
    Well we have two sons who were teenagers fairly recently - one loved the artemis fowl books and the other was either reading things like "The Road" or Hitchhikers Guide
    I will have a look at your suggestions @Flatpackhamster - yes, he has read Alastair Reynolds
    You said he likes factual non-fiction stuff. What sort of stuff do you have in mind? History or science or art or wut?

Thank Post
    Non-fiction books about science or tech - space exploration, discovery of stuff, evolution of computing, that sort of stuff

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast