+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Christmas Dinner (nom nom nom!) in General; This year is the first 'official' Christmas at home with the wife! And as such, I will be spending the ...

Thank Post

Christmas Dinner (nom nom nom!)

This year is the first 'official' Christmas at home with the wife! And as such, I will be spending the day cooking and eating... with some drinking too

Now, the main event is a big pressure and I want to be sure I get it right. Sure I've roasted a chicken or two before but I've never 'officially' cooked a Christmas day Turkey. As it will just be the two of us... and the cat... (and taking into account I want leftovers for turkey curry/fritters/hash etc etc), we will be getting a good sized turkey crown. As for cooking it, rumor has it that Nigella Larson's method of preparing the Turkey is the ONLY way to do it and grantees perfect results every time, not to mention cracking flavor. While the process seems long winded and a bit unorthodox (not that it bothers me), can anyone confirm if it really is worth the effort? I've owned her Christmas cook book (my version of the Bible at Christmas) and always wanted to try it, but I want to ensure that the turkey is the best it can be!

As for the rest of the Christmas day menu, I have it nailed.

Thank Post
    If there are only the 2 of you, it might be worth just buying a Turkey crown rather than a full bird. But on the cooking it side, I always go to my mums for christmas dinner, so im only ever responsible for making bacon sandwiches in the morning when i get there

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HaleStorm View Post
    If there are only the 2 of you, it might be worth just buying a Turkey crown rather than a full bird.
    Hehehe, someone was not paying attention!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns
    ... we will be getting a good sized turkey crown.

Thank Post
    Haha, serves me right for Skim reading

Thank Post
    I know the main thing you need to do is cover the skin/top bit with bacon (thick cut streaky) to stop it drying out

6. Thanks to HaleStorm from:

Rawns (27th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Rub some honey into the skin before cooking. That will make it mega crispy.

Our plan on Xmas day is to pop into my daughter's with their presents then drive down to Weston to stay overnight at the mother in laws before flying to Portugal next morning. The mother in law is not really up to cooking a big meal, so we were going to prepare it at home and take it down with us. But seeing as how you live in Taunton, we could always put it a few extra miles and come and help you eat your turkey
    Last edited by laserblazer; 27th November 2012 at 02:13 PM.

8. 2 Thanks to laserblazer:

Rawns (27th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Jamie Oliver separates the skin from the flesh and packs in stuffing over the top. However I do like the bacon idea! Maybe I can do both.

Thank Post
    Turkey is a dry bird although the dryness tends to occur when you're cooking the whole bird, because different parts cook at different rates. A crown should be less of an issue.

Is this the brining recipe?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Jamie Oliver separates the skin from the flesh and packs in stuffing over the top. However I do like the bacon idea! Maybe I can do both.
    You may find that it doesn't cook evenly if you do that.

I would be inclined to do the stuffing separately. Last year I did roast partridge for Christmas day, and you obviously can't stuff a partridge - well, not with much stuffing. So what I did was make a hefty 'sausage roll' stuffing, which was basically my stuffing mix rolled in to a sausage shape and wrapped in foil. I cooked it and when I served it I took the foil off and cut it in to rounds.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    This year we will be doing exactly the same as last year ... Going to The Village Restaurant in Newtown Linford and having it all done for us.

Boxing day is a different matter though ... forerib of beef ... can't wait.
    Last edited by HarryMonkey; 27th November 2012 at 03:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    One thing I like is rather then going for a crown is getting a 3bird roast which is loverly and is all meat!!

Or actually rather then cook the whole bird do something fancy (having worked as a chef). This year I'm making this Here which is just a turkey breast (as they are huge!) butterflied and stuffed wrapped in bacon....hmmmmmmm

Christmas Dinner (nom nom nom!)-img_9507900x600.jpg
    Last edited by glennda; 27th November 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Turkey is a dry bird although the dryness tends to occur when you're cooking the whole bird, because different parts cook at different rates. A crown should be less of an issue.
    No it flipping well isn't dry!

Turkey is dry because people over-cook it!

It needs to be cooked through, but not incinerated. This is more easily achieved with a crown, but I've not had a dry turkey in the twenty-odd years I've been cooking them... and they've been whole birds varying in size from 10 to 16lb!

Roasting the bird on its breast to start does help to ensure an even spread of moisture. Using foil to shield the extremities that might singe or overcook also helps.

I haven't tried Nigella's method, I'm afraid, but she's pretty reliable I stuff and roast a whole turkey in the way my Mum taught me... sausage stuffing in the cavity, lemon or sage & onion stuffing in the crop.

I'm a bit of a Delia fan for easy and foolproof. Her method is here: Turkey Crown
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 27th November 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I will be cooking xmas dinner again as normal, no turkey as we dont like it. Large gammon joint and a lovely beef joint will be done with all the trimmings. I normally start drinking about 10am so I need to cook dinner early before I am too plastered.

Thank Post
    I personally think all meat on christmas dinners should be Pigs in Blankets.....but i do quite like having pork and turkey when my mum does it.
    But i'd definatly just have 100's of PiB's if I had the choice. Mmmm sausagey bacony goodness

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread