+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, iPhone in General; So I'm thinking of buying a second-hand iPhone 4 (or 4s if it's a reasonable price.) I suppose the main ...
    Thank Post

iPhone

So I'm thinking of buying a second-hand iPhone 4 (or 4s if it's a reasonable price.)

I suppose the main question is has anybody here done the same? Have you had any problems with doing so? I've never bought anything this 'big' second-hand before (for the same reason that I can't buy it new, not rolling in the money!)

And whilst I'm on the subject, am I the only one that can't understand people who flocked to get the iPhone 5 after only having their 4s for a few months?

Thank Post
    Wouldn't dream of it. Out of around 10 people I know with iPhones every single one of them has broke at least once. My sister is onto her 3rd iPhone in 3 months. If you live near an Apple store then maybe but otherwise no, not a chance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Wouldn't dream of it. Out of around 10 people I know with iPhones every single one of them has broke at least once. My sister is onto her 3rd iPhone in 3 months. If you live near an Apple store then maybe but otherwise no, not a chance.
    To be fair though, is that genuinely the -phone- that's broken or has it been down to careless use? (Not to be taken as an insult/underminer to your friends, just curious) - if it's the case of the phones in general being utter sh1t3 then I doubt I'll bother. Can't say I've ever owned one before (especially when it was only £100 cheaper than what my first car was worth, ha! Couldn't justify owning a phone that expensive brand-new)

Thank Post
    I've had a Iphone 3G, 4 and now a 5 never had any problems

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm on my fourth iPhone due to upgrades and I've only ever broke one of them - the current. All my old iPhone go on to family members to up grade their old phones and see years of faithful service beyond me. The current phone, an iPhone 4S, was dropped during a midnight bike ride and run over by a large number of bikes. I sent it off for the screen to be replaced.

The only thing to be weary of with second had iDevices is the home button. My last phone, an iPhone 4, had a very sticky home button after two years use. That was sold to my nephew who is still happily using the phone with dodgy home button today.

6. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Fleetwood (26th November 2012)

Thank Post
    I'm not too bothered about the odd scratch and a slightly dodgy button, because in the end you've made the choice to pay for a second-hand phone so you've not got a reason to moan that there's issues with it - bound to happen!

Thanks for all your input, I shall be keeping my eye out and see if any come up at a good price just out of curiosity, if you were to buy a second hand iPhone 4 - how much would you pay?

Thank Post
    I never had any problems with mine, it seemed pretty tough considering what people were saying about it being so flimsy, Get a good case for it and it should be fine

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Thanks for all your input, I shall be keeping my eye out and see if any come up at a good price just out of curiosity, if you were to buy a second hand iPhone 4 - how much would you pay?
    To be honest I've no idea what they are worth. I always get mine on contract and, with the exception of the last one, I've always given them away when I upgrade. I usually get the phone free on contract. The last one I needed £100 up front for the contract (with an iPad), so I sold the phone at that price to cover the costs. I'm sure it was probably worth more at the time.

Take a look at what trad-in sites are offering and add a bit.

sdc
    Thank Post
    My iPhone 4s is great - very reliable and no problems at all. The phone was supplied to me by the school I work for, and so impressed was I with the phone that I bought my wife the same model second hand via ebay. Again, the same result - very reliable, the phone looked as new and was very reasonably priced - I guess because people were desparate to upgrade to the 5. Personally, I can't really see the necessity and am quite happy with the 4s!

Thank Post
    To be fair though, is that genuinely the -phone- that's broken or has it been down to careless use?
    A bit of both I would guess. My sister has had 2 now where the speaker/mic (can't remember which) has gone, same problem with one of my mates. 2 with broken lock buttons. Both are known issues so wouldn't be too big of a deal if we weren't 50 miles away from the nearest Apple store. They are just building one in my town now though so...

TBF it's only the 4 and 4s. My mums still got a hand-me-down 3G which apart from a smashed screen has never missed a beat.

Couldn't justify owning a phone that expensive brand-new
    Can't vouch that it's without issues but Nexus 4 brand new £240 https://play.google.com/store/device...ture=microsite

I'm just debating whether to sell my 4s, buy the Nexus and pocket the (£100+) change for christmas. Sick to death of it constantly crashing.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 26th November 2012 at 01:36 PM.

Thank Post
    I had a 3g that went to my dad, 3gs that's now sitting in a draw doing nothing. Last upgrade i got over the loosing of apps hurdle and got a galaxy 2, wouldn't swap back at all now.

They are nice phones, feel well built and easy to use, but i prefer the flexibility, features and price of android phones now.

Thank Post
    I'm not too bothered about the odd scratch and a slightly dodgy button, because in the end you've made the choice to pay for a second-hand phone so you've not got a reason to moan that there's issues with it - bound to happen!

Just sold my 4 16gb for £180 to a very happy customer

Thank Post
    iv had the 3gs, 4s and am getting the 5 and havent had any problems, but then again if you drop it then that is your problem.

15. Thanks to bwestlake from:

Fleetwood (26th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread