+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Xmas - hate it, hate it, hate it. in General; Originally Posted by elsiegee40 My children realised that the school Santa was the granddad of one of their friends and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    My children realised that the school Santa was the granddad of one of their friends and told me .

My response was very impressed and along the lines of:

"Really? He must be ever so special! Santa is so busy at this time of year and sometimes he has to ask someone to stand in for him. He won't ask anyone!"

Both my little ones were perfectly happy with my response and just thought that their friend's granddad had a really important friend. Problem solved.

I'm not actually sure when they completely stopped believing; my son in particular didn't take any risks and seemed to believe for a lot longer than his older sister (who did manage to keep her trap shut on pain of death!)
    I'm at a similar position at the moment, step son doesn't believe......step daughter is in the camp of "I'd best believe just in case"......years ago, their Grandad played the role of Santa in the local garden centre......both of them spent ages sat on his knee and they had no idea who he was.....it did help reinforce the idea that Santa is real though when he called them both by their first names without having to ask :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That would be a monitor. It was slightly twisted counter clockwise, not enough for me to be unable to see it, just enough to bug me.
    Oh you're good...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    The English Father Christmas

See here. apparently he used to wear different colours, including red, until the Coke ads of the 30s.
    BUT the shocking thing is that Father Christmas and Santa Claus are not the same thing!
    In my house, he is always Father Christmas anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Oh you're good...
    That's what she said.

She being absolutely no-one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That's what she said.

She being absolutely no-one.
    Really? You do surprise me...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Really? You do surprise me...
    Attachment 16072.

Thank Post
    When my children were small, my father managed a Christmas Cracker factory. They believed for years that grandad was one of Santa's elves

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,296 Times in 887 Posts
    Blog Entries

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with Mattx about Christmas. Every year I forget how much I hate Christmas until it draws nearer and nearer. With me, it's the families aspect of it - the usual blasted saga of who you spend Christmas day with. Which in-laws you go to - you know - the usual ruddy pantomime.

For the last couple of years the wife and I have rebelled and told everybody we'd be spending Christmas at home on our own. I went to see my parents last week and got it in the neck again.

If I could ban Christmas I would.

10. Thanks to tech_guy from:

mattx (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    For the last couple of years the wife and I have rebelled and told everybody we'd be spending Christmas at home on our own. I went to see my parents last week and got it in the neck again.
    Bought on by lack of money, a couple of years back I put a blanket ban on Christmas. Refused to celebrate it at all. No presents given or received, no visitations until after boxing day. Best Christmas ever! Done it every year since. Last year I celebrated by watching the full directors extended cuts of Lord of the Rings back to back in one sitting

My family now know they're not going to see me until nearer New Years Eve!

12. 3 Thanks to tmcd35:

Garacesh (3rd December 2012), mattx (3rd December 2012), tech_guy (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    My family now know they're not going to see me until nearer New Years Eve!
    Which means "Christmas" gets pushed back to New Years Eve... So, you still get it. Just later.

You can put it off over and over... But, they'll get you eventually.

Thank Post
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who are unhappy- can I put a plea in for parents?
    Try to remember that your parents or parents-in-law love to see you and quite possibly dont see you enough during the year.
    If you don't care about Christmas much then think of it as you doing something good for others. It isn't all about you....

Sorry to put a downer on things but I have lost both my mum and dad, and yes, sometimes they drove us mad - not because they were difficult but with three small children and limited time at Christmas, we were very aware that we needed to fit both sets of parents in somehow and we ended up pretty tired, but I would give a lot to be able to see them again
    *Actually, I would give anything - except my own children

15. 3 Thanks to witch:

ButterflyMoon (3rd December 2012), elsiegee40 (3rd December 2012), GeeHubb (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    I have to say it's not Christmas I hate, but the guilt which family put on you to visit them rather than other parts of the family - knowing I have to work Monday 24th, and have people visiting me on the 22nd (members of the family) I am still getting "it would be really nice to see you on Sunday 23rd" from people who live 3 hours drive from me.

They know I would have to drive that morning, and back that evening (6 hours in the car + traffic). All it does is create guilt leading to stress which means we are all dissapointed and enjoy the holiday less. This is particularly annoying when I have recently visited this side of my family.

I normally enjoy Christmas as a holiday so long as people can realise what these "innocent" comments are avoided.

17. 2 Thanks to DavidIrwin:

mattx (3rd December 2012), tech_guy (3rd December 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post

Sorry to put a downer on things but I have lost both my mum and dad, and yes, sometimes they drove us mad - not because they were difficult but with three small children and limited time at Christmas, we were very aware that we needed to fit both sets of parents in somehow and we ended up pretty tired, but I would give a lot to be able to see them again
    *Actually, I would give anything - except my own children
    Well said. I lost my dear Mum on December 1st two years ago and my Dad on Christmas Day 11 years ago. I would give anything to see them again. Now I have to be content with a trip to the Crem to lay flowers. Parents won't be around for ever. Make the most of them whilst you can.

Yes, I know it's difficult trying to fit everything in, but what goes around comes around. One day you will be the Aged Parent hoping that one or more of your children will show up to visit you in your Nursing Home on Christmas Day.... And you'll know exactly what they're thinking!

19. Thanks to GeeHubb from:

ButterflyMoon (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Members of my family are spread all over the country (Edinburgh to Portsmouth and South Wales to Norfolk!) and always have been. I feel fortunate that everyone accepts that an attempt is made to meet up with most people during the months of December and January, but it is rare that we all manage to get together in one go. Weddings and funerals usually!

I also understand @witch's plea regarding children visiting their parents. It is VERY difficult for a parent to be the one that's not seen on Christmas Day.

With small children, we too had to make a decision and that decision was that any or all parents were welcome to come to us for Christmas, but if they wanted us to travel it would be a week or so either side of the big day. It has worked out very well. We always phoned on Christmas morning.. and now we Skype which wasn't around when my children were small.

So kids, young or old, if you are doing your own thing this festive season put in a thought for your elders and call or skype them while you're still sober on Christmas morning... PLEASE!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast