+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 151
General Chat Thread, Xmas - hate it, hate it, hate it. in General; Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster There's your problem. You're getting your views from a bunch of po-faced misanthropes who, with luck, ...
  1. #46

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,717
    Thank Post
    1,267
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    There's your problem. You're getting your views from a bunch of po-faced misanthropes who, with luck, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

    Christmas is a good time. You don't have to run around spending money you don't have an talking to people you don't like. Do it your own way. Switch off the TV and watch a film on DVD instead. Go to the pub. Spend some time with people you haven't seen for ages. Help someone out.

    I love to cook for family and friends, I love to make mince pies and sausage rolls and my boozy christmas brownies and hand them out to cold carollers. I like seeing friends, and drinking too much. This year will be my baby daughter's first Christmas, and while she's too small to appreciate it, it's an added bit of joy for us.

    Sitting around whining about how awful Christmas is instead of making it a good time for yourself and your loved ones is your problem here. If it's a bad time for you, make it a good time. If you've nobody to enjoy Christmas with, find some other people who are in the same position and get together and all make lunch together and share that time.
    Amen to that!

  2. #47
    JamesDonkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sunderland
    Posts
    45
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    There's your problem. You're getting your views from a bunch of po-faced misanthropes who, with luck, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.
    Class! Christmas now has a militant wing! I love it me and you've all put me right in the mood for it, but I'm holding off Roy Wood, Slade, Wham! and the like until December. But in the meantime, I can legitimately make an interactive touchscreen advent calendar for the kids at school! Get in!

  3. Thanks to JamesDonkin from:

    Little-Miss (27th November 2012)

  4. #48

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Sitting around whining about how awful Christmas is instead of making it a good time for yourself and your loved ones is your problem here. If it's a bad time for you, make it a good time. If you've nobody to enjoy Christmas with, find some other people who are in the same position and get together and all make lunch together and share that time.
    And in a nutshell, that's kinda one of the points being made here - you've just said that you should enjoy Christmas with others. Why? What if that is not enjoyable to you? Why can't we just enjoy the holiday in our own way, rather than having a religious holiday and an obsession with 'gathering' being forced upon us?
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th November 2012 at 10:22 AM.

  5. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

    Garacesh (27th November 2012), mattx (27th November 2012)

  6. #49

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And in a nutshell, that's kinda one of the points being made here - you've just said that you should enjoy Christmas with others. Why? What if that is not enjoyable to you? Why can't we just enjoy the holiday in our own way, rather than having a religious holiday and an obsession with 'gathering' being forced upon us?
    Well, I hate to break it to you, but the 'religious holiday' that's 'forced' upon you was around long before you were and will be around long after you're dust. So you can either ignore it or you can enjoy it, but either way, it's going to happen. Getting your knickers in a twist about how people aren't respecting your right to be miserable isn't going to change that.

    As for the 'obsession with gathering' - nobody's saying you have to get together. I haven't said you 'should' enjoy Christmas with others. If your idea of a good time is sitting in your mum's basement for the whole of December, hating the world, eating cheesy wotsits then knock yourself out.
    Last edited by witch; 27th November 2012 at 01:28 PM.

  7. Thanks to Flatpackhamster from:

    sparkeh (27th November 2012)

  8. #50

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Well, I hate to break it to you, but the 'religious holiday' that's 'forced' upon you was around long before you were and will be around long after you're dust. So you can either ignore it or you can enjoy it, but either way, it's going to happen. Getting your knickers in a twist about how people aren't respecting your right to be miserable isn't going to change that.
    And again, you're being silly - I'm not demanding that I be allowed to be miserable. I don't want to be miserable. I just don't want to celebrate Xmas! I want to enjoy my holiday in my own way, which I should be allowed to, without being called miserable!!! Do you say Muslims are miserable because they don't celebrate Xmas? No? Why? Why should I be treated differently just because I don't celebrate a religious holiday?

    As for the 'obsession with gathering' - nobody's saying you have to get together. I haven't said you 'should' enjoy Christmas with others. If your idea of a good time is sitting in your mum's basement for the whole of December, hating the world, eating cheesy wotsits then knock yourself out.
    Grow up.
    Last edited by witch; 27th November 2012 at 01:28 PM.

  9. #51

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And again, you're being silly - I'm not demanding that I be allowed to be miserable. I don't want to be miserable. I just don't want to celebrate Xmas! I want to enjoy my holiday in my own way, which I should be allowed to, without being called miserable!!!
    Me, me, me.

    Do you say Muslims are miserable because they don't celebrate Xmas? No? Why?
    Because they don't throw their toys out of the pram when everyone around them is having a good time. And you think British muslims don't celebrate Christmas? I think you'd be surprised. The only ones who grumble are the religious extremists, and that's what you're sounding like. Militant atheism is as vicious and spiteful as militant Islam or militant Christianity. It's a sign of a closed mind.

    Why should I be treated differently just because I don't celebrate a religious holiday?
    Firstly, it isn't a religious holiday. There is no religious compunction about it. It's a state holiday. That should cheer you up, after all, the government's in charge.

    You're treated differently because you're telling people to treat you differently. So they do.

    I'm an atheist and have been for 25 years. But that doesn't mean I stamp my little foot about how awful it is that there's still religious holidays. I respect other people's beliefs even though I know they're wrong. I embrace the spirit (my homemade sloe gin) of the season, I try to spread a little cheer and an awful lot of food and ale around. My wife will go to church on Christmas Eve and I'll stay at home with the baby and do some cooking, and feed the cat some roast partridge. We'll get together with my C of E friends and my catholic friends and my atheist friends and we'll drink and eat and wish each other a happy Christmas, because Christmas isn't about a Magic Sky Being, it's about people.

    You'd have a far more enjoyable time during your Atheist Winterval WorkBreak if you unwound your righteous indignation and just accepted that Christmas is going to happen all around you.

    Grow up.
    I'm not the one throwing a temper tantrum because the world won't do what I want. You sound like you're nine years old. Me, me, me, I want, I want, I want.

  10. Thanks to Flatpackhamster from:

    sparkeh (27th November 2012)

  11. #52

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,529
    Thank Post
    513
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    822
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Me, me, me.
    Says the person demanding everyone follow the same behaviour as everyone else, because doing something different is obviously making them uncomfortable.

    Because they don't throw their toys out of the pram when everyone around them is having a good time. And you think British muslims don't celebrate Christmas? I think you'd be surprised. The only ones who grumble are the religious extremists, and that's what you're sounding like. Militant atheism is as vicious and spiteful as militant Islam or militant Christianity. It's a sign of a closed mind.
    There's no toy throwing. As far as I've seen, I've outlined that I like the time off, and like spending time on my own too. I've said I don't like the way people try to make me out to be weird or something like that, and you've responded by inferring I'm a basement dwelling misery who subsists on cheesy snacks. Seems you're the one toy throwing.

    Firstly, it isn't a religious holiday. There is no religious compunction about it. It's a state holiday. That should cheer you up, after all, the government's in charge.
    Nope, its a religious holiday. Hence 'Christmas' being from Christ's birthday. Or, if you want to look further back, you find Saturnalia, another religious festival, or Winter Solstice, another religious festival...

    You're treated differently because you're telling people to treat you differently. So they do.
    No. See above. I've simply said how I want to spend my time, and you've come along telling me I'm basically wrong.

    I'm an atheist and have been for 25 years. But that doesn't mean I stamp my little foot about how awful it is that there's still religious holidays. I respect other people's beliefs even though I know they're wrong. I embrace the spirit (my homemade sloe gin) of the season, I try to spread a little cheer and an awful lot of food and ale around. My wife will go to church on Christmas Eve and I'll stay at home with the baby and do some cooking, and feed the cat some roast partridge. We'll get together with my C of E friends and my catholic friends and my atheist friends and we'll drink and eat and wish each other a happy Christmas, because Christmas isn't about a Magic Sky Being, it's about people.
    I find it difficult to respect the beliefs from religions that have caused millions of deaths, and currently perpetuate bigotry on a large scale against anyone who is different (eg. homosexuals, or, shock horror, women).

    You'd have a far more enjoyable time during your Atheist Winterval WorkBreak if you unwound your righteous indignation and just accepted that Christmas is going to happen all around you.
    No, I'll enjoy sitting down with the food I make, watching some movies, maybe give my parents a call as I do regularly, play some games, have a chat with some of the community on Twitch.tv. None of it 'Christmas' related. Just 'time off work' stuff.

    I'm not the one throwing a temper tantrum because the world won't do what I want. You sound like you're nine years old. Me, me, me, I want, I want, I want.
    See, that's what you sound like to me - almost demanding that everyone respect something simply because you say so.

  12. #53

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,862
    Thank Post
    589
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    Last week one of the ladies from Finance had a singing, dancing snowman delivered. I grimaced that it wasn't even December yet. I return a laptop to Science only to come back to my desk and what do I find?
    12" sparkly pink christmas tree on my desk.
    If you don't want it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Our Santa may be black this year... . He was shocked when we asked him!
    A black guy playing someone who breaks into every house in the world in one night.


    I'm saying nothing.
    Last edited by X-13; 27th November 2012 at 11:18 AM.

  13. Thanks to X-13 from:

    Little-Miss (27th November 2012)

  14. #54

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,651
    Thank Post
    1,775
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Rep Power
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And in a nutshell, that's kinda one of the points being made here - you've just said that you should enjoy Christmas with others. Why? What if that is not enjoyable to you? Why can't we just enjoy the holiday in our own way, rather than having a religious holiday and an obsession with 'gathering' being forced upon us?
    Point taken @localzuk, Ihave modified @Flatpackhamster 's statement in bold. however, I don't think anyone's said that you have no right to be happy on your own at Christmas.

    What everyone's complaining about is the people who seem to be determined to be miserable for the entire Christmas period... and often don't seem to want anyone else to enjoy it... rather than going to do something that makes them happy (as you do) whether that involves tinsel, tacky presents and too much food or not.

    Everyone has a free choice about how to spend Christmas. Those of us who use the period to be happy, regardless of whether that's alone or with others, and regardless of whether we are celebrating Christmas or just having a few days off have a right to do so. Those who want to be grumpy about it, ought to look at their lives seriously. If you can't make the most of a few days when you are paid to be off work, there is something wrong.

    There's your problem. You're getting your views from a bunch of po-faced misanthropes who, with luck, will be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

    Christmas is a good time. You don't have to run around spending money you don't have an talking to people you don't like. Do it your own way. Switch off the TV and watch a film on DVD instead. Go to the pub. Spend some time with people you haven't seen for ages. Help someone out.

    I love to cook for family and friends, I love to make mince pies and sausage rolls and my boozy christmas brownies and hand them out to cold carollers. I like seeing friends, and drinking too much. This year will be my baby daughter's first Christmas, and while she's too small to appreciate it, it's an added bit of joy for us.

    Sitting around whining about how awful Christmas is instead of making it a good time for yourself and your loved ones (if applicable)is your problem here. If it's a bad time for you, make it a good time. If you've nobody to enjoy Christmas with and you want company, find some other people who are in the same position and get together and all make lunch together and share that time.

  15. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

    Flatpackhamster (27th November 2012)

  16. #55

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,575
    Thank Post
    834
    Thanked 873 Times in 726 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    What everyone's complaining about is the people who seem to be determined to be miserable for the entire Christmas period... and often don't seem to want anyone else to enjoy it... rather than going to do something that makes them happy (as you do) whether that involves tinsel, tacky presents and too much food or not.

    Those who want to be grumpy about it, ought to look at their lives seriously. If you can't make the most of a few days when you are paid to be off work, there is something wrong.
    Personnally I think this shows a lack of understanding of what it is that is making us so grumpy and miserable. And no, it's not out of some grim determination! It the in your face, 24/7 over the top commercialisation that I'm constantly exposed to whether I want it or not! I'm happy for the two weeks off, but it's all the rest that goes with this time of year. Argh!

  17. #56

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Says the person demanding everyone follow the same behaviour as everyone else, because doing something different is obviously making them uncomfortable.
    In my first post I wrote "Do it your own way". You ignored that. You're still ignoring it.

    There's no toy throwing.
    Your post replying to mine was whingy and childish.

    As far as I've seen, I've outlined that I like the time off, and like spending time on my own too. I've said I don't like the way people try to make me out to be weird or something like that, and you've responded by inferring I'm a basement dwelling misery who subsists on cheesy snacks.
    If the cap fits... But no, I was just stating that I'm not judging your choice of lifestyle.

    Nope, its a religious holiday. Hence 'Christmas' being from Christ's birthday. Or, if you want to look further back, you find Saturnalia, another religious festival, or Winter Solstice, another religious festival...
    It's not a religious holiday. There is no religious compunction to it. If you don't want to God it up you are not required to. It was a religious holiday. It no longer is. It is a state holiday, enforced by the government.

    [quote]No. See above. I've simply said how I want to spend my time, and you've come along telling me I'm basically wrong.

    What part of "DO IT YOUR OWN WAY" do you not understand?

    I find it difficult to respect the beliefs from religions that have caused millions of deaths, and currently perpetuate bigotry on a large scale against anyone who is different (eg. homosexuals, or, shock horror, women).
    No, people do those things and use religion as an excuse. Those people were good, or bad, before religion got anywhere near them. Sometimes religious fervour amplifies behaviour, such as the brutality of the Inquisition, or the brave men who refused to fight in the war but served as padres or medical orderlies. But it's the people, not the religion.

    No, I'll enjoy sitting down with the food I make, watching some movies, maybe give my parents a call as I do regularly, play some games, have a chat with some of the community on Twitch.tv. None of it 'Christmas' related. Just 'time off work' stuff.

    See, that's what you sound like to me - almost demanding that everyone respect something simply because you say so.
    So, we're still not getting 'Do it your own way', then?

  18. #57

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    8,862
    Thank Post
    589
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    If you don't want to God it up
    Best. Phrase. Ever.

  19. #58
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,420
    Thank Post
    343
    Thanked 250 Times in 206 Posts
    Rep Power
    97
    Well i love xmas day, nothing better than my parents cooking a xmas meal....looking forward to it even more this year because i had a **** xmas meal last year elsewhere.

    2 and a half year old son who's starting to realise what presents are too

    I also love the dark mornings and darker evenings, not sure why.

    The only thing i don't like is the cold, but even that's only when it's windy....that and all the illnesses going around, i attempt to avoid those as best i can.

  20. #59

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Point taken @localzuk, Ihave modified @Flatpackhamster 's statement in bold. however, I don't think anyone's said that you have no right to be happy on your own at Christmas.
    Thank you for improving what I wrote. It's much more accurate. I trust that this satisfies those for whom a good time involves no direct social contact and no expression of festive joy.

    Next week, how 'Happy New Year' should be altered in order to satisfy both those of a non-heliocentric worldview and those who find the religious traditions of the Gregorian calendar an insult to their belief structure, or lack of one.

  21. #60

    SYNACK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,991
    Thank Post
    851
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    764
    Um, just to point out that it appears this whole Christmas thing is winding people up already. Its good that some of you have things to do that make you enjoy it. I'll just be enjoying the time off and trying to stay well clear of the madness and overly stressed people liable to snap at any second. Way to stressful, it supposed to be a holiday, not like work on an ERO inspection day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Northants IT Managers' Meeting & Northants IT Support Providers' Meeting : 26th May
    By GrumbleDook in forum East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th May 2010, 10:30 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •