+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Alternator in Ford Fiesta..are we being ripped off? in General; 12.7 is a healthy battery voltage, but it may still be faulty. As it's a Deisel it has no ignition ...

Thank Post
    12.7 is a healthy battery voltage, but it may still be faulty.

As it's a Deisel it has no ignition system to run, and it will be mechanical injection. So as long as your not using anciliary devices such as lights, demiste, fan, radio. the main drain will be starting the car.

This should be ok for a few attempts if the car is an easy starter and may continue to start long term with a faulty alternator giving some charge.

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When the alternator is charging the battery the voltage across the terminals should be 13.7v, or thereabouts (or was it 13.4v). In any case >13v. If you see the voltage above 13v when the engine's running, the alternator is likely to be OK, or at least serviceable.

Batteries can suddenly give up the ghost in cold weather. They can be fine in mild weather, but when the temp drops below a magic number they die.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 22nd November 2012 at 11:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    the voltage should be about 3-13.5 when charging, when I was a mechanic we used to use scrap alternators all the time 9/10 where fine as where other second hand bits.

Personally if it was my fezzy on a 98 I'd be thinking about changing the motor especially if I'd had it a while, could be a sign of other things about to go wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Check it's really the alternator at fault.

Measure the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine off. It should be 12 point something volts. Maybe less if the battery's not great. Now switch the engine on and do the same. The charging voltage should be around 13.7 volts. If you see this, the alternator is OK.
    They said they measured it and there was no charge with the engine on. Unfortunately I have to take their word for it - couldn't go in to check as I'm at work 12 miles away.

As for finding a good independant - that is what I hoped this place was. Local, seemed friendly, no advertising and no bad reviews online. But I doubt I'll be using them again now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    They said they measured it and there was no charge with the engine on. Unfortunately I have to take their word for it - couldn't go in to check as I'm at work 12 miles away.

As for finding a good independant - that is what I hoped this place was. Local, seemed friendly, no advertising and no bad reviews online. But I doubt I'll be using them again now.
    Well, perhaps you might be prejudging them. If you've committed the work, get the job done. Afterwards, phone a few other places for quotes to see if the price is a bit steep. It's never nice to pay too much (if indeed you have), but hindsight won't help. It's not the end of the world, perhaps the job on your car is an awkward one.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 22nd November 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post

You are in london which means the hourly is going to be quite high.

I pay 35+vat ( well I actualy get trade rate labour so it's a bit less than that ) , But I would do an alternator myself...

Just weighing up if I do my coolant control valve myself or leave that one to the garage as it's a pain doing it on the drive.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12