+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, They're rebooting Witch! in General; Originally Posted by witch Can't see why it wouldn't be funny - I patently am not, nor could I ever ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Can't see why it wouldn't be funny - I patently am not, nor could I ever be 2 tons so it is not something I could take offence at.
    Remember that not everyone here will have met you in person and seen what a waif-like figure you actually are... for someone who did struggle with their weight, that sort of joke could be quite upsetting.

Thank Post
    I remember seeing Witch in the Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry, when we used to have a proper science museum. It then went into the museum store, which they have open twice a year, but I don't ever remember seeing in there. It must have been well hidden. There is also an ICL 2900 series machine in the museum store. I think that should go somewhere too, perhaps Manchester, who still have a proper science museum.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Can't see why it wouldn't be funny - I patently am not, nor could I ever be 2 tons so it is not something I could take offence at.
    I am also a redhead. Dont see why calling someone ginger is an insult. Mind you, my son who is also ginger used to get other kids coming up to him and saying "your're ginger, you are" which he never really understood.
    BUT you need to see how people are taking your jokes and refrain if they plainly dont like it!
    AND APOLOGISE if you have hurt someone's feelings!
    Oh I always apologise, because I never mean to genuinely offend or hurt someone. Most of my problem is that I expect to get it back as much as I throw it out and have the wotsit taken out of me at any time, because a bit of banter is always fun - but I forget that not everyone plays that game all the time like I do.

Anyway, back on topic, I think the key fact to take away here is that WITCH's components may be getting on a bit but were all in unusually excellent condition. Bravo!

Thank Post
    I believe they re-imaged Witch using a Ghost wizard but for a brief spell they thought it was going to fail.
    Last edited by laserblazer; 20th November 2012 at 05:29 PM.

5. Thanks to laserblazer from:

witch (20th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I think the key fact to take away here is that WITCH's components may be getting on a bit but were all in unusually excellent condition. Bravo!
    Oh yeah, my components are definitely in excellent order!
    Yes, I suppose someone could be upset by the 2 ton comment but as he patently has never met me, he obviously didnt mean it personally even if I was fat..
    "waif-like" - hmm @laserblazer - kindly leave the stage

Thank Post
    lol - well that's the weight and components discussed .. now let's get on to the 'dirty' side of Witch

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I remember seeing Witch in the Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry, when we used to have a proper science museum. It then went into the museum store, which they have open twice a year, but I don't ever remember seeing in there. It must have been well hidden. There is also an ICL 2900 series machine in the museum store. I think that should go somewhere too, perhaps Manchester, who still have a proper science museum.
    What? What?? A 2900 as a museum piece?

It can't be, I used to work on them, and it was only......oh.......uhhhh......35 years ago

Thank Post
    I worked on a 1903T in the early 80's. Most other sites had moved to 2900's but this one kept chugging on. It ran George 1s (none of your newfangled 3 or 4) and I'd moved on by the time they upgraded to a 2900, so I never experienced VME.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detjo View Post
    lol - well that's the weight and components discussed .. now let's get on to the 'dirty' side of Witch
    Including how many people had to service her before she worked properly?

Shame on you!

PEO
    Thank Post
    I want to know what the 'A happy accident' was that led to the discovery

Thank Post
    I suspect on one of the open days at the museum store, somebody in the know noticed part of it stuck in a corner and recognised it. The 2900 series that I mentioned previously, was out in the open, as is several generations of talking clock and a huge Van Def Graff generator, amongst other interesting bits that used to be on display when Birmingham had a proper science museum. A huge number of the more interesting items didn't make it to "Thinktank" when it opened.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12