+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, "single status" is about to hit Derbyshire - salary after "single status"? in General; Thanks Mulderite - that is useful. Turns out my letter hasn't been sent yet....

Thank Post
    Thanks Mulderite - that is useful.
    Turns out my letter hasn't been sent yet.

Thank Post
    Had mine 2 weeks ago for Network Manager and been given Grade 9 which has actually been a boost as I was on 21.5K before single status. Have been trying to get a copy of the job description used to slot me in as I run a network of around 500 PC's on my own at the moment (bar an apprentice who can't be given too much and its been like this since August as the last guy retired) plus we (or rather just me) has to do tech support visits for 5 different primaries as well. Have a strong suspicion the primaries haven't been considered and I'm either being ignored or delayed when I ask for a copy of the job description.

I'm in Derbyshire.
    Last edited by Lorfarius; 22nd November 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasBrentnall View Post
    Has anyone else had there's? I'm a IT Tech and have been put on grade six. Assimilated post is 'art & design technician' :S
    Here in Bridgend all other technicians in schools have been rated higher than ICT technicians. An art technician or a science technician job is rated about £2000 more than mine!!!

Thank Post
    My contract finally arrived in the post yesterday. I work as an ICT Technician in 8 different primary schools. In six of the schools, I am on Grade 7. In two of the schools, I am on Grade 6. I feel an appeal coming on for the two which are different, but other than that, I am happy with the offers.

Thank Post
    Has anyone got a copy of the ICT Manager job description from County? The one I agreed to when I started hasn't been used. I've been told the one submitted was supplied by county when they did the slotting. Problem is I have a copy of that and its written in a very childish way. Does anyone have a County version they could share? Got a meeting to discuss this so the sooner the better! Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaphc View Post
    My contract finally arrived in the post yesterday. I work as an ICT Technician in 8 different primary schools. In six of the schools, I am on Grade 7. In two of the schools, I am on Grade 6. I feel an appeal coming on for the two which are different, but other than that, I am happy with the offers.
    I went through single status in 2006 at Derbyshire when i did the job family interview, fast forward 3 years and lots of reorganisation internally the results came out and within our team of 12 people (3 line managers and 9 assistants). You would expect 2 diffferent grades as all the jobs were simmilar, but of the 9 assistants there was a spread of Grades 6,7 & 8, with one of the line managers being graded a 9 and the others a 7!

At the time i worked in data management and under FOI asked for the data on which they created their headline figures of "60% of people were better off", and by job family and FTE the grade before SS, after SS and how many accepted/appealed the decision. Overwhelmingly it there was 90% of the jobs classed under the Legal Department had appealed thier roles - now if that doesnt tell you something about the process i dont know what does!

One thing i think they have got right though is to pull TA's into line with other administratoive staff - just need to pull the teachers into line

I am all for fair pay for equal work but if they couldnt get it right internally how on earth are they going to pigeon hole jobs in schools?
    Last edited by mark80; 25th November 2013 at 08:48 AM.

Thank Post
    i got graded at grade 5 which now makes me wonder considering everyone else is saying 6-7 hmmm

Thank Post
    I am on grade 6. Not particularly happy about it as it is a significant pay cut. Is everyone at the top of their respective grades? Waiting for the council to send more information re: job family etc. but having seen what they have sent other people I am not holding out much hope of it being useful!

Thank Post
    im at the bottom of 5 sounds like im slotted wrong then
    Last edited by thepridster; 27th November 2013 at 01:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thepridster View Post
    im at the bottom of 5 sounds like im slotted wrong then
    Yes I am miffed enough about being on the top end of grade 6 - you should look into appealing. Have you requested your job family information?

Someone here (another technician, not IT though) said that in her case, she can walk into another persons job and do the job, but they couldn't just walk into her job and do her job without training - surely that should impact? I haven't worded that well, but sure you get the point.

Thank Post
    The term 'single status' is quickly becoming a joke with all of this isn't it? The whole idea was to give some kind of order to salaries for different roles, although I suppose some leeway has to be given dependant on size of the school, scope of responsibilities etc. The problem is, whether by accident or by design, the County is being very hazy with all of this. They don’t seem to be very forthcoming in providing the information needed to form the basis of an effective appeal. I’ve still not received my Job Description for the position I’ve been slotted into and I requested this information the day I received my letter (which was the 15th). It's a worry when we've only got until 31st December to register an appeal!

I’ve searched high and low for info on job families, the best I could come up with is:

Role profiles: Working for us - Derbyshire County Council

I can’t speak for other schools, but certainly where I am based the emphasis seems to be based around people management. The more people you look after the higher your grading. So if you are just a technician working for a manger I’d be surprised if you get higher than a grade 6, irrespective of the work you do or its importance to the school (if the role profiles are anything to go by). It seems anything at grade 9 or higher requires the word ‘manager’ in your job title! (Note to self: Maybe I can get mine changed to Deputy Network Manager?? Hmmm)…

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mulderite View Post
    I can’t speak for other schools, but certainly where I am based the emphasis seems to be based around people management. The more people you look after the higher your grading. So if you are just a technician working for a manger I’d be surprised if you get higher than a grade 6, irrespective of the work you do or its importance to the school (if the role profiles are anything to go by). It seems anything at grade 9 or higher requires the word ‘manager’ in your job title! (Note to self: Maybe I can get mine changed to Deputy Network Manager?? Hmmm)…
    That is a very interesting point. I know someone who was working high up in a different council when their single status was done, and he said the same thing. They look out for 'key' words and slot you based on that. So of course, all the people who knew this made sure those words were in there somewhere whcih resulted in massive imbalances in pay which is causing problems in the future.

You will laugh when you job 'description' arrives. Some people here have received theirs and they are photocopiers of other peoples JDQ's. Not even been typed up. Where has the £5,000,000 gone which was supposed to be spent on this? Seems like the schools have done most of the work. I am still waiting for the job I was slotted against - requested last week. Not holding hope on receiving the right one though, people here are being sent alsorts of random jobs!

Thank Post
    I had mine last week, I've been benchmarked against Senior ICT Technician as a Network Manager - understandably not happy. The job description is clearly my Technicians JD, but he was instead graded as a SIMS Assessement and Data Coordinator...

We both did manage to the JDQ's and a points breakdown for the jobs we've been assimilated against, although did require a lengthy phone call and some time on hold.

Could someone with the JDQ for Network Manager be able to send it me? As someone said above, they will not give it us despite it being clear they've stuffed numerous up.
    Last edited by reedstec; 29th November 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Has anyone recieved their benchmark job information? I think the IT technician one has gone astray - I received a one page document 'Job evaluation rationale' and that is all. There are 5 (small) lines of text which I am supposedly supposed to appeal on. Not sure how though as there isn't the information?

Thank Post
    You have to request an appeals form from the single status helpline. I could drop you the copy I have if you send me your email address.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast