+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Costly hi-tech kit lies unused in schools, says study in General; Interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20348322 Favourite quote: "A tablet replacing an exercise book is not innovation, it's just a different way to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Costly hi-tech kit lies unused in schools, says study

Interesting read: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20348322
    Favourite quote: "A tablet replacing an exercise book is not innovation, it's just a different way to make notes."
    Last edited by sparkeh; 16th November 2012 at 09:48 AM.

2. Thanks to sparkeh from:

simongrahamuk (19th November 2012)

Thank Post
    This is true!

We have some camera's which are about 2 years old, still boxed and never been used!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    After 12 years in this game, to me it is quite obvious what the issue is....
    TRAINING!
    If staff don't know how they can use things then they won't use them, simple as..

IMHO staff don't even use the interactive whiteboards properly and we have had them for years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very true. There's loads of posts on here about schools buying piles of $technology_fad_item and then them not being used because the purchaser hadn't thought about how to adjust the curriculum to make use of them properly.

Things such as: IWBs, PDAs, tablets, BYOD schemes etc...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    After 12 years in this game, to me it is quite obvious what the issue is....
    TRAINING!
    If staff don't know how they can use things then they won't use them, simple as..

IMHO staff don't even use the interactive whiteboards properly and we have had them for years.
    Totally agree with this. I very rarely see the boards used as anything more than an OHP.

Although not hardware, the worst example in recent years here was when the LEA bought a load of podcasting software, and then ran training sessions where the bought-in trainer used Audacity! Result: all the staff who bothered to try podcasting used Audacity, as that's what they knew how to use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @nicholab started a thread about this being on Radio 4 this morning, I thought (by his thread description) that I might have issue with the content but after reading the BBC story online I must say I agree 100%. And it lies at the heart of the iPad debate I'm having here at the moment. Although Powerpoint/Projectors are used by nearly every teacher in nearly every lesson, they just support the old "Victorian" model of teaching and learning. IWB's tend to be used by half the teachers, half of the time.
    @witch has it right - the problem is Training. Not just in use of the technology, but also (more importantly) in 21st Century teaching practices.

Thank Post
    training and an interest in actually using technology is usually the two main issues needed for it to be used well, at least from what I have seen personally, we have some departments in the school I am in that use technology expertly such as the IWB, moodle and pretty much anything available, though you do get some that use it as an OHP or powerpoint board though.

Though I will say the new teachers I see training are very impressive when it comes to the technology side of things, they have a very good grasp of things before they start with us, like the IWBs and moodle and online learning.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Teaching staff are not the only guilty party in this - I'm currently going through my system to remove things that are not needed or surplus to requirements.

We have both an Aruba and Ruckus system and also and Internet cache bought by my predecessor both of which were wastes of money (1 wireless system is ok, but having 2 different ones?)

hit
    Thank Post
    All our art, English and science depts have really nice visualisers, most of which have bever had the lens caps off! At 600 a throw its quite a lot of equipment to just leave gathering dust?

Thank Post
    I can assure you all this is by no means unique to schools.
    SME's, Corporates and individuals we are all guilty of of it to some degree.

Only today I find that someone has mislaid 2000 worth of Microsoft Software gifted to one of our clients Youth Departments which they are now having to replace.
    The response was, "well we never paid for it" so it's not that bad!

The fact is that somebody did pay for it and in the case of the Schools it's you and me via our taxes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Voting systems, there was $4k well spent. 5-6 uses total and now its that old the batteries are dieing, the cupboard mimios, the projectors used as fancy lights. Its not even training, they get that. Its a case of them bothering to use product X that they wined about for months in their classroom.

Thank Post
    SLT wants a couple of sets of.....,
    You guessed it iPads
    Me-why
    SLT-Because we do

Never let's get kit to solve a problem, always get kit then try and find a problem to make it fit.

Think part of problem is that SLT types go to consultant lead teaching conferences, who have blue sky ideas. Nothing wrong with blue sky just needs to fit in go the school.

Just a quick tot up in head (6:30 in the morning) in the last year I spent 12k just on room/office (not IT suites by the way) moves, switches, cabling etc

14. Thanks to ozydave from:

RabbieBurns (17th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ozydave exactly the same happening at my work...

hit
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Voting systems, there was $4k well spent. 5-6 uses total and now its that old the batteries are dieing, the cupboard mimios, the projectors used as fancy lights. Its not even training, they get that. Its a case of them bothering to use product X that they wined about for months in their classroom.
    Oh yes, I forgot about voting systems, out of sight out of mind I guess. And yes @ozydave, iPads, I forgot about those as well because they were allowed to take them home, never to be seen again!

To be fair to our English dept. the did use the visualisers religiously for about 3 weeks, so I reckon the cost of a visualiser / 90 lessons = 6-66p a lesson, BARGAIN!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ozydave View Post
    SLT wants a couple of sets of.....,
    You guessed it iPads
    Me-why
    SLT-Because we do

Never let's get kit to solve a problem, always get kit then try and find a problem to make it fit.

Think part of problem is that SLT types go to consultant lead teaching conferences, who have blue sky ideas. Nothing wrong with blue sky just needs to fit in go the school.

Just a quick tot up in head (6:30 in the morning) in the last year I spent 12k just on room/office (not IT suites by the way) moves, switches, cabling etc
    I'm going to say something that will probably get me lots of stick. ;-) When I say we, I mean me and the techy people around me, this is quite possibly not representative. I also only worked as a network manager for a few years before I trained to teach, so I'm not as qualified to talk about the tech side of this as many others, I'm thinking more of the intended end result (which I know with bad teacher training and attitudes is not what we normally get). but anyhow...

Because we do.

We can keep teaching the way we always have. We don't need to change at all. Our maths teaching has gone on fine for years with just text books and cubes, we don't need comparatively expensive numicon or bead strings. Half the times they stay in the draws they are first put in becaus its a pain for a etacher to change tohe wy they have alway taught. It would make for better maths teaching though. Rooms of windows xp (or 8) desktop pcs are easy to manage, staff can use and then we can spend more money on stuff that makes our life easier, like switches and server kit. We'd never have to train teachers to use new innovations, we'd never have to fight people to use things they don't want to and we'd never see kit languishing in a cupboard. We would also be failing our children. We use IE as our main browser at school, its easy for us tech staff, its useful for so many other pieces of networking software. Our county school IT dept doesn't even have packages for chrome or firefox. Yet when the kids go home they enter a world where most browsing is now done in chrome. We use desktop RM1s because they make our life easy, no wifi, no batteries, easy to manage over cc4. We use laptops in trollies, but we don't like them because we have to carry them about and sometimes laptops are taken home by teachers and they are out of our reach. We oppose ipads becase they are hard for us to deploy and maintain and the old guard of teachers may never get round to using them. We would never consider teaching them to use iPhones or iPod touches, way too fiddly and dangerous. Yet around 10% of browsing is now done from a mobile device, and about 60% of that is an apple device. Id guess that those stats probably grow if you look specifically children and young families with children. We need to teach our children to use as many different devices as possible, as when they grow up they may brows the net and do their job on tablets, smart phones, consoles, set top boxes, laptops, desktops and devices we have not even thought of yet. We need to teach adaptability even if a plethora of devices in our schools is an administrative and training nightmare.

I don't think mobile computing with tablets and smart phones is a fad and i think its share will increase. I don't think apple is going to disappear any time soon, even if they just become one of many. This is the real world we are sending our kids into, its the one we need to teach them how to exist in.

Following trends in the real world has become a dirty word, (oh its apple, its bad by default), but its that real world we are training our kids for.
    Last edited by Matus; 17th November 2012 at 02:30 PM.

18. 2 Thanks to Matus:

simongrahamuk (19th November 2012), tmcd35 (19th November 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast