+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Annual Boiler Service Contract in General; We've had a boiler service contract with British Gas for years... and frankly I'm sick of them. It seems very ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts

Annual Boiler Service Contract

We've had a boiler service contract with British Gas for years... and frankly I'm sick of them. It seems very expensive and it's near impossible to get them out once a year to actually service the boiler... and as for what happened when I had a problem last January... It's time to dump them and find someone else.

So who do you use to service your central heating boiler at home? Is there a company better than British gas or are they all as bad as each other?

Thank Post
    I use a guy who I call up as and when. My CH is run by a venerable and ancient Bermuda Back boiler. He serviced it when I moved into the house VERY thoroughly indeed, all stripped down, each part checked and cleaned, air blasted and reassembled, new thermocouple, full workup. Took him an hour, cost £80. He gave it a clean bill of health and when I asked about replacing it he laughed and said "It'll run a good 20 years or so more, these are indestructable. Ignore modern, they have a design life of 10 years, these were made to last."

He advised about best setup, recommended a CO detector as it's an old open-flue boiler etc, tidied up perfectly and left. Damn good service. I do my own inhibitor topups and concentration tests, and there's not much else in my system bar that, the 3 port valve (which I will replace myself when it dies, syncron motors are £10 from Screwfix), the pump (running fine) and the control gear (Rewired and updated by me anyway to Honeywell wiring system standards).

That reminds me, I need to arrange a yearly service nowish, an get a quote on replacing a rotted out radiator (from before I bought the place, currently isolated).

3. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

elsiegee40 (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    If you can on recommendation from others maybe work colleagues find a local installer/engineer much better than relying on these big companies who over charge, check to see if watchdog have a rogue list

Make sure whoever you get is registered with their relevant body for the type of fuel the boiler is i.e Gas Safe etc....

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

elsiegee40 (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    I think you're right I need to find someone local. I'll have a dig through CheckaTrade and see what I turn up in the first instance.

Thank Post
    I use a local guy and I tend to pick local people who've done work at the school because I can quiz the site manager about their work.

Thank Post
    I chose my guy though his website (which I forget) but because he's a time served guy with a long experience of back boilers. A lot of people will do the whole "Ooo, you need to replace that.."..or "parts not available"...BG tried that with my nans Bermuda - they got sent on their way. It's still running fine, and hers is a good 15 years older than mine, heh.

I shall issue a word of caution...I needed a plumber in a hurry to fix my Close-coupled loo..I called "Able Group", who then find a local guy and send him round..

Now, he did fix my loo, but the next day I had an "in kitchen shower" that I traced back to a loosened off pipe on the bath sink cold tap. Bearing in mind that's nowhere near the loo, we've lived in the house for a year without issue, and it was standing idle for a year before that, and I'm NOT calling a co-incience. Maybe a hope of a callback and another job, but no co-incidence...

I've since found a really good local plumber, who's based 20 minutes from me. He had to rebuild the loo again (stupid drop valves), but he left me with a personal guarantee for a month that if there was any recurring issue, he'd sort it for free. I build up a business card library of "good 'uns", and stick to them.
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 14th November 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Im in a similar situation.
    I have a new (4 year old) boiler that has warranty for 7 years. I was paying nPower £6 a month to service it annually. Then, when it was time to renew they decided to increase the price by 50% to £9 per month. I told them to get lost and cancelled it there and then.

I have a local firm coming to service the boiler for £45 + Vat next Tuesday....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    At home we use a bloke that is the plumber where I used to work he is great and local and does all our needs and very reasonable

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread