+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Condemning the Surface? in General; Originally Posted by Michael I can't see how this lawyer's going to win. The OS and applications need to go ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I can't see how this lawyer's going to win. The OS and applications need to go somewhere and this is nothing new. OEM desktops and notebooks have come pre-installed with 'stuff' since day one. Plus taking formatting into account, you're never going to get the full 32GB, probably more like 30GB available in Windows.
    depends when has common sense and law had anything in common (esp in the usa)? To argue devils advocate (and i think this man is someone who wants his 15 mins of fame and money for nothing) i supose manufacturers could put "user memory" on 1 chip (array of chips) and have system stuff in its own unique memory. But that would up costs (though possibly not much with the cost of sd cards etc) and complexity (more likely) and i supose they could of written something like

ms surface 32gb*
    *32gb storage space total including system overheads of x gb leaving free space for user files of x gb

but how many people read the * bits (and i suspect people on here will be an above average percentage as weve all been bitten before or at the very least see an * as "oh eye what are they hiding?"

Thank Post
    The keyboard is a nice addition, I think. Small and easy to remove when you don't want it, but there are plenty of times where I have started writing an email or Facebook message on my tablet and then put it down in favour of the keyboard on my laptop; and I wouldn't dream of spending my working day on a touch-keyboard on the device so I think that it is essential for office use. Touch-screen keyboards are not as quick to use as "proper" ones, especially if you factor in the time it takes to move the tablet from a comfortable reading position to a comfortable typing position and back again.

That said, from what I see on the advert, the Surface uses a little flap on the back of the tablet to stand up, so you couldn't use it on your lap (where I do 99% of my recreational computer use), only on a table.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    the Surface uses a little flap on the back of the tablet to stand up, so you couldn't use it on your lap, only on a table.
    You can use it on your lap...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    depends when has common sense and law had anything in common (esp in the usa)? To argue devils advocate (and i think this man is someone who wants his 15 mins of fame and money for nothing) i supose manufacturers could put "user memory" on 1 chip (array of chips) and have system stuff in its own unique memory. But that would up costs (though possibly not much with the cost of sd cards etc) and complexity (more likely) and i supose they could of written something like

ms surface 32gb*
    *32gb storage space total including system overheads of x gb leaving free space for user files of x gb

but how many people read the * bits (and i suspect people on here will be an above average percentage as weve all been bitten before or at the very least see an * as "oh eye what are they hiding?"
    You're probably right - plus it's only a matter of time before SSDs catch up the old skool rotational hard drives. What comes pre-installed will be less of an issue if you had a 1TB drive installed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123