+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, My HP laptop has died in General; The fans start up, and the hdd light flashes a couple of times then stops. The screen remains blank. The ...

Thank Post

My HP laptop has died

The fans start up, and the hdd light flashes a couple of times then stops. The screen remains blank. The symptoms are the same if I take the RAM out, so hopefully that's the problem. I tried cleaning the contacts and still no good. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try another memory module.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    What model is it? I've got a HP 6715B which is a trooper about 6 years old!

Thank Post
    I've had a few HP laptops over the years "die" on me. I've taken the power cable and battery out, left it 24 hours, then plugged it all back in again and it works. Worth a go perhaps?

4. Thanks to Jawloms from:

laserblazer (13th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawloms View Post
    I've had a few HP laptops over the years "die" on me. I've taken the power cable and battery out, left it 24 hours, then plugged it all back in again and it works. Worth a go perhaps?
    I'll try a different ram module tomorrow. If that fails I will give it a try.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    What model is it? I've got a HP 6715B which is a trooper about 6 years old!
    This is the same model. It's not the RAM so probably the mobo. I wonder if the Bursar will let me have a new one?

Thank Post
    i had a hp do simuler just before the summer called up hp after finding their tech check sheet online and it was the mobo that had gone

8. Thanks to bushby from:

laserblazer (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bushby View Post
    i had a hp do simuler just before the summer called up hp after finding their tech check sheet online and it was the mobo that had gone
    Can you remember where you found the check sheet please? I've done a quick search and couldn't see anything obvious.

Thank Post
    Quite a few HP batches had a problem with the graphics chip overheating on the board and the whole thing dies. Bad design by HP... one heatsink ran across the CPU and GPU with one fan cooling both. HP wouldnt cover it under warranty. There is a fix on the tube but it involves a blow torch and stripping the whole unit down. I did it but it only worked for about 6 months. I may give it a go again don't think i put enough compound on the chip. That was a DV9000 i think.

Although it could be a completely non related problem if its more than a few years old. Tried plugging in an external monitor?

11. Thanks to jonathon28 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Can you remember where you found the check sheet please? I've done a quick search and couldn't see anything obvious.
    i couldnt find the pdf from hp but i found on spiceworks someone with the same issue and the POST diag for mobo failure is the caps and num lock blink 5 times and thats the indercator for the fault
    HP 6715b Laptop Won't POST - Spiceworks

Thank Post
    Right, I don't get those symptoms, caps and num lock don't work at all. Apart from the fan coming on and the drive light flashing a couple of times, little else happens. The volume control lights work and the audio mute light toggles on and off. I'll try leaving it with the battery removed overnight. I think this overcomes capacitor problems, so if it does work I'll have a butchers and see if I can find any sick looking caps. If no, it's strip down time.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathon28 View Post
    Quite a few HP batches had a problem with the graphics chip overheating on the board and the whole thing dies. Bad design by HP... one heatsink ran across the CPU and GPU with one fan cooling both. HP wouldnt cover it under warranty. There is a fix on the tube but it involves a blow torch and stripping the whole unit down. I did it but it only worked for about 6 months. I may give it a go again don't think i put enough compound on the chip. That was a DV9000 i think.

Although it could be a completely non related problem if its more than a few years old. Tried plugging in an external monitor?
    Blowtorch sounds good. We've got the plumbers in at present There's no hdd activity, so I don't think it's graphics. I'll give an ext. monitor a try though.

Thank Post
    I had a problem like this. Took the battery and power lead out. Left it an hour or two. Plugged it back in, let the battery charge and it worked again.

16. Thanks to gmonks from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried disconnecting the keyboard then trying to boot it, if it has a firmware update that it is trying to apply to the keyboard controller it may fail and hang up the hardware. Have had this before and ended up needing a new keyboard as the chip on it was toast.

18. Thanks to SYNACK from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread