+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Oil Cap in General; Over the weekend I heard a humming noise coming from my engine near the belt. (Corsa 58 Plate Active 1.2) ...

Thank Post

Oil Cap

Over the weekend I heard a humming noise coming from my engine near the belt. (Corsa 58 Plate Active 1.2) Everything looked normal turned the car off and it had gone, drove it for 10 mins and back again but then turned it off again and its not came back yet. I decided to check the obv bits on the car, when i checked my oil cap it had a milky substance on the cap. Has anyone got any advice im not good with cars.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's not good - that normally means water is mixing with the oil and that is an engine destroyer.
    On older cars that's a head gasket failure very typically, on newer (wow, this is happening on a 58plate?) it's probably a water pump gasket or similar. Either way do NOT DRIVE IT ANY FURTHER. Get it to a garage ASAP.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Might be an idea to get the coolant system checked and flushed, without the proper additives things can get a bit squiffy in the cold. Just so long as there is not oil in it as then you need to get a compression test done to check for a head gasket issue. @Sirbendy is generally the one to ask about such things as his Car Fu is strong

Thank Post
    the mayo may just be down o moisture build up and can occur naturaly.

Does the car run and pull fine, has the water level dropped recently?

Thank Post
    check for droplets of water on the dipstick..... if it is clear & the oil level is normal then twin-turbo might be right, especially if you do a lot of short trips without the engine (&oil) ever getting a chance to reach normal temperature. Modern oils contain additives to reduce the chance of this crud forming but there are limits. Is it due a service soon, it might be worth mentioning it to the garage?

Thank Post
    Thanks so far. The car is running and pulling fine from what i can tell i just noticed the noise i mentioned earlier. Water level is spot on never dropped always been the same. I poped into vauxhall on the way home and got one of the guys to look at it and he said it looks to be a build up of moisture, he offered diagnostics @ £70 per hour to be 100% sure but he said they might not find anything even if something is wrong. So im unsure what to do this is why i asked the question.

It last had it service early Sept this year, gets serviced every year.
    I drive to work Mon - Friday 10mins each way approx Top speed 30Mph
    And one of the day i travel around 20 miles each way
    And occassionally go out for the day at the weekend this varys in distance and time.
    Last edited by LukeC; 12th November 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: More info

Thank Post
    I would suggest that moisture build-up is the most likely explanation for the crud then. 10 mins urban driving might get your water temperature up to 'normal' but I doubt the oil will have warmed up much.

Watch the levels (oil & water), look for an oily film on the surface of the water in the header tank... ONLY CHECK THIS WHEN COLD... please don't take the cap off when the engine is hot/running! Check the dipstick for water droplets.... if everything is ok then take the car for a decent run 1-2 hours as often as you can (given the price of fuel).... you don't need to thrash it, just get the engine nice & hot.

Thank Post
    Yep, no water drop/oil film in header or full-on mayo in oil, you're probably looking at condensation in the engine, and that's nothing to worry about. All my Vauxhalls have done this. I do short trips too. If I do a nice long run (for instance, this Friday I'm off to the Neurosurgeon for a "future planning" session in Oswestry), it clears up beautifully.

A PITA, but mostly a harmless one. It can slightly choke the breathers, but it'll be fine. I intend to run the Astra from Telford to Oswestry and back in Sports mode and bounce the old girl off the redline a few times, which should clear it.

Thank Post
    For some reason the vauxhall 1.2 engine is prone to mayo on the cap. its just a characteristic of that engine. Just keep an eye on the water level.

Thank Post
    Also common to 98% of the 8 valver 1.4/1.6s..

Thank Post
    This is a common problem at this time of year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 863 Posts
    Blog Entries
    dammit, now i know why I prefer older cars. "Common problem this time of year" - sod that, don't any of these makers want their engines to las.... oh, yeah. Modern engines.
    Disposable Items.

</small rant>

Give me a decent engine like a K-Series (with a proper gasket/head setup!) any day.

Thank Post
    I was having this discussion with someone yesterday about stop-start technology and how that's going to be an expensive thing to repair several years down the line when the car is out of warranty and is on it's third or fourth owner.

I've gone back to an old Pug 306 diesel. It was an absolute pleasure to do a full service on it at the weekend, not have to worry about MAF sensors, climate control, dual mass flywheels, diesel particulate filters and the like. The ride is smooth and quiet and it still returns the same MPG as the 2007 307 I've replaced.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I've got stop/start on my car - Mitsubishi ASX3 Diesel - and it doesnt really work very often anyway because if the fans are on at anything other than very low, as they would be if you were cold or hot, it doesnt kick in. Probably would be expensive to fix but in the end I would just switch it off and do without anyway so not bother.

Thank Post
    Id keep any eye on the temperature gauge, if it rises astronomically all of a sudden then it could be a head issue, but it is more than likely moisture build up. Vauxhalls have a tendency to do such a thing. It's worth keeping an eye on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast