+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Oil Cap in General; thanks all much appreciated. @ cpjitservices i dont have a temp guage on my das any other way to tell?...

Thank Post
    thanks all much appreciated. @cpjitservices i dont have a temp guage on my das any other way to tell?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    thanks all much appreciated. @cpjitservices i dont have a temp guage on my das any other way to tell?
    Yes it'll boil over, but you should get a warning light on the dash beforehand.

If you are in a life-or-death situation, you can whack the heaters on full and wind the windows down and that SHOULD cool the engine enough to keep you moving. Worked on my Astra anyway.

The 'common problem' thing's why we didn't spot the blowing head gasket on my 1.6 Astra! Fixed up alright though.

Oh well, Calibra now Nice basic old c20ne engine. Pulls like a train should you need (and I don't like to strain it) and drives like a reliable old Cavalier for commuting. No sensors going all the time and no weird lights; either 'perfect' or 'grumpy - screw a new bit on'.
    Last edited by Miscbrah; 13th November 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Listen out for the fan cutting in more than usual or a lack of power due to the engine getting too hot.

Also, after every couple of journeys pop the bonnet and look at the header tank and see if the water in there is bubbling/boiling, if it is it could be a sign of the head is going to blow, if you do see bubbling - very slowly and I do mean very slowly release the cap off the top to release the pressure and heat, keep water levels topped up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Yes it'll boil over, but you should get a warning light on the dash beforehand.

If you are in a life-or-death situation, you can whack the heaters on full and wind the windows down and that SHOULD cool the engine enough to keep you moving. Worked on my Astra anyway.

The 'common problem' thing's why we didn't spot the blowing head gasket on my 1.6 Astra! Fixed up alright though.

Oh well, Calibra now Nice basic old c20ne engine. Pulls like a train should you need (and I don't like to strain it) and drives like a reliable old Cavalier for commuting. No sensors going all the time and no weird lights; either 'perfect' or 'grumpy - screw a new bit on'.
    Two examples there of (in my opinion) perfect work horses, Cavalier good and reliable, as are Calibra's albeit a bit more sporty than a Cavi. I miss the old CVH engines in fords too!!!! Brilliant Engines!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Two examples there of (in my opinion) perfect work horses, Cavalier good and reliable, as are Calibra's albeit a bit more sporty than a Cavi. I miss the old CVH engines in fords too!!!! Brilliant Engines!
    Got a CVH in my kit car

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post

Give me a decent engine like a K-Series (with a proper gasket/head setup!) any day.

I would have spat my coffee out if I had been drinking it.

Good engine, cunning design with the long bolt. But HG's go on these and garages don't really like doing them as they are a PITA...

And if you go to a garage with a KV6 with a water problem the technicians will magically vanish!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did say with a proper setup for good reason. Bolts that don't expand and gaskets that aren't made from tracing paper for instance. You can make a K-series downright bulletproof by using the land rover gaskets and bolts. Didn't have a spot of bother from either of mine. Did the gasket and bolts on my 400 as soon as I bought it. Would have done the sump too if I didn't get given a Honda

Thank Post
    My friends Freeland popped it's first head gasket at 48K, and the second at 56K.

You should not have to "Make it Bullet proof" , they should last unless there is a catastrophic cooling system failure.

I lost a lot of water in my old Mondeo V6 when a loose plate in the pump wore through the casing, I noticed the heater going cool and then the needle heading skywards.. Switched off, and coasted down the hard shoulder and up behind another motorist and the AA . with the steam still belowing the AA man was of the opinion that the engine was kippered but after a tow to the next service station and some water in she statred cleanly. we then found the water comming out the pump casing and it was a tow all the way home.

Rob

Thank Post

You can see where the loose plate wore at the side of the case.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil Cap-pump3.jpg   Oil Cap-pump4.jpg   Oil Cap-pump1.jpg  
    Last edited by twin--turbo; 13th November 2012 at 07:09 PM.

Thank Post
    the lack of the temp gauge annoys me on the Corsa C/Astra H etc. What good is a warning light? It's too late by then. Or if it drops fluid, there's nothing left to fire the light..useless design. My Z series with the external thermostat (I had the internal one punched through, damn silly thing) is as close to bombproof as I can get. 2001 8 valver (so cavalier design of engine, Z16SE derived from X16SZR, which derived from C16SE/C14SE, which dates back a LONG way).

People say it's the "worst of the worst" for power etc...yet the autobox will merrily spin the wheels up to 3rd, it's more than happy over the ton, and it's no slouch. Give me the old 8 valve growl..

I've boiled mine once when the internal thermo jammed shut, but the heater matrix and full fans can easily pull them down to cold very quickly. I just did it in stages to avoid thermal shock, and let the engine idle down until it was around 80 degrees on the gauge, then shut down as normal. Then fill with boiling water from a kettle. Job done, no harm befell.

Best one I ever saw was a 1.8 CVH Sierra that arrived at my house one night, sounding like i was about to explode...no lights on etc. My mate jumped out and hid behind my motor..."the fanbelt's gone, I had to run without lights to get here (no alternator, no water pump).

Shut it down, opened the bonnet...steam galore, 2 hoses blown off. Let it cool, reassembled it, new belt on, refilled with coolant, kicked it in the guts...and off it went quite happily. Soon destroyed by an Astra-G in a flat spin that ripped the roof clean off.
    Last edited by Sirbendy; 14th November 2012 at 11:24 AM.

11. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

cpjitservices (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,276 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another tip (from first hand experience) is that if your head gasket is going/coolent ingress you get excessive smoke from the exhaust as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    the lack of the temp gauge annoys me on the Corsa C/Astra H etc. What good is a warning light? It's too late by then. Or if it drops fluid, there's nothing left to fire the light..useless design. My Z series with the external thermostat (I had the internal one punched through, damn silly thing) is as close to bombproof as I can get. 2001 8 valver (so cavalier design of engine, Z16SE derived from X16SZR, which derived from C16SE/C14SE, which dates back a LONG way).

People say it's the "worst of the worst" for power etc...yet the autobox will merrily spin the wheels up to 3rd, it's more than happy over the ton, and it's no slouch. Give me the old 8 valve growl..

I've boiled mine once when the internal thermo jammed shut, but the heater matrix and full fans can easily pull them down to cold very quickly. I just did it in stages to avoid thermal shock, and let the engine idle down until it was around 80 degrees on the gauge, then shut down as normal. Then fill with boiling water from a kettle. Job done, no harm befell.

Best one I ever saw was a 1.8 CVH Sierra that arrived at my house one night, sounding like i was about to explode...no lights on etc. My mate jumped out and hid behind my motor..."the fanbelt's gone, I had to run without lights to get here (no alternator, no water pump).

Shut it down, opened the bonnet...steam galore, 2 hoses blown off. Let it cool, reassembled it, new belt on, refilled with coolant, kicked it in the guts...and off it went quite happily. Soon destroyed by an Astra-G in a flat spin that ripped the roof clean off.
    Good story right there, I remember my old mans Sierra Sapphire 2.0 ltr sport, it was in black and was the GHIA model and I believe was the saloon. On an 'F' Plate. It was an absolute Gem. He was in love with it - UNTIL he came to insure it and the insurance company gave him too choices.... Hand over the keys or risk your life.... It was a cut and shut.

Dont see many Sierras kicking about these days, or the old Scorpio's - Good Cars, Good Engines.... All taken over by the Mondeo which isnt a bad motor.. my mate has an R reg Verona with 209,000 on the clock and it still sails through MOT and the engine doesnt sound like its about to give up anytime soon.

Thank Post
    even the 1.8's were a tail happy beastie in the wet though...reliving their capri heritage a bit on the rear axle..heh..Mind you, I WOULD have a Capri..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    even the 1.8's were a tail happy beastie in the wet though...reliving their capri heritage a bit on the rear axle..heh..Mind you, I WOULD have a Capri..
    I would have a Capri also, but I would have a Manta first.

Thank Post
    Capri's where good cars BUT personally, not my style I'd rather have ... actually no I'd have a Capri also.!!! Damn nice cars....

I'd put the Calibra next to the Capri..... Same league!

Heading to eBay....
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 14th November 2012 at 12:09 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast