+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, IT technician hours in General; Dear All Does anyone know of a formula or way to calculate how many technician hours a school should have ...

Thank Post

IT technician hours

Dear All

Does anyone know of a formula or way to calculate how many technician hours a school should have - if indeed there is any way to calculate this. Could as many people as possible tell me how may hours you work and the size of your school/number of clients etc to give me an idea.

Many many thanks

Sorry could you include the actual number of hours each member of staff works and if it's term time only or full time.

Also, I currently work 12.5 hours in a primary school There are 410 children, 40 members of staff, about 170 clients and I run everything from the network to anything with a plug attached.
    Last edited by fooyum; 5th November 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    Hello and welcome

How long is a piece of string? The answer is the same. Every school is different and the hours required for each is different. In some big schools you have the benefit of a team, so there'll be more people and all they'll do is IT.

In some smaller schools you are a department of one and may be able to manage the network on 4 or 5 hours a week with additional hours during the holidays for maintenance, installation and upgrades.

It all depends on the job description. Will you just be maintaining the network, or are you responsible for everything with a plug on it and also eSafety training and MIS work or something in between?

Thank Post
    It's impossible to answer with a formula.

we have 4 staff covering 2 schools one 1200, other 500 students. Our setup is fairly slick for systems maintenance but we are still kept busy.

Rob

Thank Post
    School, 1300 students, 250 staff, 1100 devices.
    2 Technicians, 1 Network Manager and a Sims manager

Thank Post
    Hi

I've edited my post and thanks for the welcome.

I work 12.5 hours a week, term time only in a school of 410 pupils, about 40 staff members and 170 clients. I run two networks and anything with a plug from all hardware to software - you name it, it's my role but I don't provide training although I'd like to :-). I used to work overtime for free but realised this was not proving a point and so now I work my contracted hours only, give 20 mins if I'm in the middle of a job, and now the work is slipping. I need some figures to show the school what everyone else copes with but I realise I may be shooting myself in the foot!

Thank Post
    I feel your pain. In a smaller school, I started on 8 hours a week. It wasn't enough. I ended up on 20!

I had to work to rule to make the point. I got it doubled to 16 and then the extra 4 were added as I took on additional responsibility.

Thank Post
    Well...

We have 1000 devices, 1300 students and 250 staff on our senior school site and 80 devices, 300 students and 50 staff on our junior school site.

We have 3 technicians, 2 are full time 52 weeks a year, one is term time only.

During term time, one full time technician works 08:00 - 16:00, the other works 09:00 - 17:00, the term time technician works 08:30 - 16:30.

During holidays both technicians work 08:30 - 16:30.

We spend approx 6 - 10 hours a week onsite at our junior school, but we additionally spend 4-6 hours engaged in remote support or project work for the junior school.

The remainder of our time is spent supporting our senior school/sixth form or working on projects that benefit our entire federation.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Junior school - 370 children, 90 machines,25 staff, one tech, 15 hours a week, term-time only. Responsible for all computer things, network etc
    Middle-deemed-secondary school, (Years 5-8) 400 children, 35 staff, one senior tech, 15 hours a week, support contract with external company 2 hours a month plus unlimited telephone support.

Both are me....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Junior school - 370 children, 90 machines,25 staff, one tech, 15 hours a week, term-time only. Responsible for all computer things, network etc
    Middle-deemed-secondary school, (Years 5-8) 400 children, 35 staff, one senior tech, 15 hours a week, support contract with external company 2 hours a month plus unlimited telephone support.

Both are me....
    And is that sufficient hours at either post @witch ?

Thank Post
    On average 2 form entry primary schools 2.5 - 3.5 hours weekly dont generally do ordering first i know of equipment is often oh and we have 6 new laptops to set up

Personally do 2 or 3 schools a day most weekly some fortnightly have atm one cover day so no timetabled in work

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    And is that sufficient hours at either post @witch ?
    Junior is OK most of the time - middle not so much

Thank Post
    Of the 7 schools we support it ranges between 2 hours a fortnight, to 4 hours. This is mixed juniors/infants etc.

A lot of it depends on kit, some of the larger schools we support have the least time, as they're fully rebuilt Win 7/08r2 etc, so a lot easier to manage.

One of the longer is one of the smallest schools that runs an undomained network (Due to budget reasons, won't/can't upgrade it currently).

As the others above have said, a lot of it depends on the individual schools, how they're setup, what they want doing etc etc. Whether it's upgrades/rebuild, or just maintanence etc etc. (Obviously bigger work, can be done over halfterms, or during the non-visit weeks)

Steve

Thank Post
    Given the stuff I do every day, I can't imagine how a school manages on only a few hours, one day a week.
    Sometimes I have time to spare but often I am running from "my whiteboard isnt interactive" to " I can't log on" to "please install this for me on my laptop" to " get some quotes for xx" on a daily basis

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Given the stuff I do every day, I can't imagine how a school manages on only a few hours, one day a week.
    Sometimes I have time to spare but often I am running from "my whiteboard isnt interactive" to " I can't log on" to "please install this for me on my laptop" to " get some quotes for xx" on a daily basis
    Guess a lot of it depends how it's set up originally, and especially how much of what they want is similar to other schools.

Taking one of our sites that's rebuilt:
    Fully locked down Win7/08r2.
    Automated deployment of all OS/software/updates. (When software does need to be deployed, 80% of the time another school already has it, so we have a package made up we can use. Just changing serials etc. If not it'll take a little time, but once it's done it's easy enough to deploy. Never really done local installs as someone will always want it a 2nd time Even if it's just reinstalling OS).
    School decided they wanted passwords all preset and unchangable. So none of the "I forgot my password" issues.
    School got rid of all local printers, and have a contracted MFP so nothing really for us to do with that, unless it's software updates.

Kind of removes the majority of the day to day issues:
    Software wise we can remotely rebuild/deploy the computers overnight if something breaks locally, or software is wanted.
    Toner/Printers, Nothing to do with us.
    No password resets, and creating the odd account here and there throughout the year is few seconds work.

Don't get me wrong, obviously things break but just mean a lot of the day to day stuff isn't as bad as a much larger school. None of the running around 50 printers etc changing toner/paper jams, hundreds of password resets etc we do at the main school.

Shame we can't rebuild all the schools from scratch! Go go Win 2k network

Steve

Thank Post
    What about whiteboards though?
    I only have a few printers in each school and one uses the networked photocopier as much as they can so that lets me out. It isnt forgotten passwords it is usually corrupt profiles or similar. Passwords are preset and unchangeable but I dont know them!
    I have the odd netbook that falls off the domain or decides it hates one user.
    I also reimage machines every now and again. - not at night - but during working hours
    2008 R2 server, 90% Win 7

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast