+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, IT technician hours in General; Originally Posted by witch What about whiteboards though? I only have a few printers in each school and one uses ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    What about whiteboards though?
    I only have a few printers in each school and one uses the networked photocopier as much as they can so that lets me out. It isnt forgotten passwords it is usually corrupt profiles or similar. Passwords are preset and unchangeable but I dont know them!
    I have the odd netbook that falls off the domain or decides it hates one user.
    I also reimage machines every now and again. - not at night - but during working hours
    2008 R2 server, 90% Win 7
    We get a few issues with whiteboards, but honestly not that many at all Maybe it's just luck. And generally it seems the staff at the schools are pretty ok with replugging the USB leads once to try it. (Try to locate them somewhere easy to get to always).
    If it's something urgent we can usually get one of the other techs to pop out and sort it, or re-arrange another visit as most of the time the schools appreciate it when we can do the same so are happy to move around. (Helps that we have a bigger team here)

Hardly any corrupt profiles either, had maybe half a dozen over the 7 schools since June~

We do all the creation of the user accounts (by script) as part of our Summer hols work, so we have the original excel lists of all students/passwords stored away on our encrypted Netadmin bit of the server, so we can get the passwords back if needed.

Guess a lot of it is luck, as to how often things break/go wrong, some times it's not enough time, others it's fine. Another reason why I think OP will have a hard time getting a set in stone answer

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going for the middle one in size and support, 600 students 160 client devices. 6hrs a fortnight term time. We do have a good hardware rollover plan though which means most stuff is newish and easy to maintain, centralized settings via GP and W7 and W8 laptops. That also does not include extra projects like server upgrades or site wide reimages.

It does depend heavily on the school and staff though, I take a very strict training role in 'helping users not to be helpless'. Most end up absorbing the training if only from the repetition of the lecture over and over and over...

Thank Post
    I dont know what I'm doing wrong on 15 hours a week 360 kids and plenty to do .... Our temporary head teacher (until Christmas shes a Deputy Head in real life)) has stated that our IT is rubbish and that at her school they have someone come in only 2 hours a month! We got outstanding for IT provision in the last Ofstead

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    I dont know what I'm doing wrong on 15 hours a week 360 kids and plenty to do .... Our temporary head teacher (until Christmas shes a Deputy Head in real life)) has stated that our IT is rubbish and that at her school they have someone come in only 2 hours a month! We got outstanding for IT provision in the last Ofstead
    What a charming person. This type of person likes to make themselves look good by trying to make everyone else look bad.

Telling everyone the IT is rubbish is not helpful. Arrange a meeting to discuss her concerns, don't disagree in the meeting, just take copious notes.

Then back at base make her comments into bullet points.

Answer each bullet point by showing how it actually works (i.e. she's got it wrong, but be tactful) or by how things could be changed. If change could improve matters... and there's bound to be something... explain why things are how they are if necessary and work out how much it would cost in time and hardware/software to improve matters.

Make sure Teaching & Learning are the main reasons for changing things. Change that does not benefit this needs careful justification.

At the end of this present your report and request a meeting a week later to discuss what she wants you to do. I'm pretty sure the second meeting won't happen.

Keep your cool and be professional no matter what the antagonism.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,799 Posts
    @Brpilot99 I'm guessing this is the person who swears at everyone?
    Is this person been brought in to cover the role until someone the school has employed starts in Jan?
    I agree with @elsiegee40. Ask for a meeting and then answer point by point.

This coupled with the swearing means this person needs to be pulled up sharpish, and you are just the man to do it!

*would be interested by pm in knowing what school she comes from as I may know the IT there!
    Last edited by witch; 5th November 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks Witch and Elsie .. yes its the one and the same I'm afraid ... Shes at the school till christmas until the new Head arrives. I haven't got the energy for to much conflict and unless pushed to far will ignore but hope the incoming uses better language !! Witch..will send PM in the morning ...

Thank Post
    I support two schools

First one:
    25 hours a week spread over 5 days, This school has 12 class room computers, 10 laptops in each class, 30 staff laptops, 8 office non teaching staff computers and a IT suite with 31 laptops. Each class room also has an interactive board and visualiser. School is fully networked with a domain. 25 hours isnt enough to sort all the problems and deal with projects.

second one:
    5 hours a week spread over two days. each class room has two laptops, one attached to a interactive whiteboard and visualiser, the other is a class room one. bank of 16 laptops for classes to share. about 30 staff laptops, 3 office computers. School is on a work group. 5 hours isnt enough and I regularly have overtime at this school as and when needed.

I dont think there is any formula for amount of hours to workload but if i was you just ask for more hours and document everything to support your case to take to who ever you need to.

Thank Post
    Schools have to remember that it's not just day-2-day support that needs doing, long term plannign and development needs to be included to improve the provison over time.

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12