+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Things to do in London in General; Hi Guys, Me and the missis is goin down to London (Greenwich way) in the next couple of weeks for ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Things to do in London

Hi Guys,

Me and the missis is goin down to London (Greenwich way) in the next couple of weeks for a weekend, just for a nice getaway as we have both been very busy lately and not had enough "us" time

Anybody know any good things to do in London? Was thinking about organising a speed boat tour around the thames and stuff like that but anybody have any other suggestions? Was poss thinking Show, museum, art galleries...

Mart
    Last edited by mmoseley; 4th November 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added weekend

Thank Post
    I don't know about speedboats but if you are staying in Grweenwich, I'd strongly recommend using the river to get to or from Westminster. You see a lot of old London from the Thames. As a tecchie, you would love the Science Museum but it might not suit your other half.

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

mmoseley (4th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh cool! Science museum! thats a good idea! Hey, if I might have to sit through the Dirty Dancing stage show, she can do the techie bit! lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Thames RIB Experience and London Duck Tour are very good, but very chilly at this time of year... they're also quite noisy and not exactly easy for holding conversations! I've done both and enjoyed them. Getting the River Bus | Transport for London from Greenwich into the city would probably be more comfortable to see the sights from the river.

The London Eye is an obvious one for seeing the views.

If you want a good view and a good meal, book a table at the Portrait Restaurant - Searcys at National Portrait Gallery. It's on the top floor of the National Portrait Gallery (free admission) with brilliant views across the roof tops towards Trafalgar Square and the London Eye. We go there regularly and it makes a good pre-theatre meal as this is in the West End between Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square. But you must book as it gets very busy!

The museums and galleries are all good, it depends on your tastes as to which you choose. Of course there's Regent Street and Oxford Street for shopping... afternoon tea at Liberty is good

Also, check out what's on at The O2 while you're in the area.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 4th November 2012 at 04:29 PM.

6. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh Cool! Thanks @elsiegee40 - Very helpful, that RIB experience was the one I was looking at. The portrait restraunt sounds great! I think Oxford or regent street is just a given I think Thanks! very helpful!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not too familiar with London myself. Here are a few links that might give you some ideas:

Link 1: Free London - Free events & attractions - Free things to do - Time Out London

Link 2: Londonist

Link 3: Horniman Museum and Gardens

An inspiring, surprising, family-friendly, free attraction in South Londonís Forest Hill.
    Link 4: Welcome to SECRET LONDON / A guide to London

Thank Post
    The Horniman Museum is bit quirky and probably a bit out of the way for mmoseley. It's on the South Circular in a not particularly salubrious part of Forest Hill... the house we rented when we first moved to London was just round the corner from it.

@mmoseley I'm happy to help... Mr gee40 and I go up to London regularly and he usually has to treat me as he's been working abroad for most of the last two and a half years (currently in India); I've been putting up with a lot! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know!

Thank Post
    If Mrs moseley is into shopping, there's also the big Westfield - Stratford shopping centre which easy to get to from Greenwich. There are loads of restaurants there too. Unfortunately the Olympic Park is closed, but you can glimpse the stadium from John Lewis and the food hall on the top floor.

Personally though, I think it lacks something on going into the West End for a special occasion.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    The Horniman Museum is bit quirky and probably a bit out of the way for mmoseley. It's on the South Circular in a not particularly salubrious part of Forest Hill...
    From the description it seemed interesting: Something a little different from your regular museum visit. Wasn't aware of the locale consideration though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    From the description it seemed interesting: Something a little different from your regular museum visit. Wasn't aware of the locale consideration though.
    I've nothing against it... it's quirkiness is good and I quite enjoyed going there. It's just not my choice for a a place to be taken to on a bonding trip with the hubby

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to goin! Cant wait! Thanks for all the suggestions

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Domino and @Ric_ are worth doing...... and they may also know a few good places to go to also!

Thank Post
    +1 for the riverbus (Greenwich Clipper). Greenwich used to be a day trip for us when we lived in London, but the Clipper makes it much quicker.

You should check out Greenwich Market as you're there anyway. Slightly touristy, but lots of good food to try at the weekend. Also the National Maritime Museum and Greenwich Observatory are free and well worth a look as you're in the area.

You can get off the Clipper at the South Bank and there's always lots going on around that area - as well as the Eye which is good on a clear day.

For brownie points, I've always done well with afternoon tea in a posh hotel like the Ritz.

I have to say though that @elsiegee40 has obviously got impeccable taste - couldn't fault any of her suggestions. V jealous of the meal in the Portrait Gallery - I've only managed coffee and cakes there and the views are great.

Very jealous of the whole thing actually. We booked a weekend in spring, but baby-sitting fell through so we had a weekend in London with the kids. Great, but not quite the same.....

Enjoy

hit
    Thank Post
    one thats always missed is the Bank of England museum, completely free, some of it as boring as hell but you do get to hold a bloody big gold bar in your hand (even though it's in a glass box you cant get it out of) Things to do in London-goldbar.jpg

Anyway, as a completly free walk around, I take visitors on this route (about 4 miles walking + tubes and buses):
    Start at Green Park underground, walk through green park to Buckingham Palace
    Walk through St James' Park towards Parliament Square, see big ben etc.
    Then either walk up Whithall and see Horseguards and Downing Street or along the river a bit
    Up to Trafalgar Square (for National and National Portrait Galleries)
    Walk up to Leicester Square, grab a Hagen Daz
    Walk up through Soho or Regent Street to Oxford Street
    Get a bus (or tube) into the City (St Pauls) for the cathedral, then a short walk down Cheapside to the Bank of England
    Go over the Millenium Bridge for the Tate Modern and the Globe Theatre

Day done!

17. Thanks to hit from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like all of these! Can fill my weekend no problem. The missis's brother works in Parliament, so I think part of day 1 will be a tour of there! that will be interesting! thanks again guys!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast