+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Disney buys LucasFilm for $4 billion, promises Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015 in General; Blimey! Source : Ars Technica On Tuesday afternoon, the Walt Disney Company announced in a press release shortly before its ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,096 Posts

Disney buys LucasFilm for $4 billion, promises Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

Blimey!

Source: Ars Technica

On Tuesday afternoon, the Walt Disney Company announced in a press release shortly before its investor call that it would acquire 100 percent of LucasFilm LTD for $4.05 billion, in cash and stock. In the press release, Disney also said it would invest in a new film, Star Wars Episode 7, which would be released in 2015, "with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future."

Disney will surely find many other ways to cash in on the beloved trilogy (and the less-beloved but still respected trilogy of prequels). "We also expect to utilize Star Wars in other businesses including Parks & Resorts, in games and in our television business. These initiatives were also considered in our valuation," Disney's press release said.

Disney's acquisition includes all the ventures of LucasFilm LTD, including the special effects powerhouse Industrial Light and Magic, as well as LucasArts and Skywalker Sound. "The present intent is for LucasFilm employees to remain in their current locations."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," George Lucas was quoted in Disney's press release. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

During the Walt Disney conference call about the acquisition, the company said, "we plan to release one film every two to three years," after the seventh episode in 2015. It also said that while the Star Wars franchise is currently skewed toward "toys and North America," Disney plans to increase the "breadth and depth" of that appeal.

When asked during the conference call about how realistic the next Star Wars movies are, Robert Iger, Chairman and CEO of Disney said, "What we're buying along with the overall company... is a pretty expensive treatment for the first three movies," which would be considered episodes 7-9 of the franchise. "We're in the early stages of creating the first movie."

One reporter asked about the many games created by LucasArts, specifically social gaming, but Disney was vague about that answer: "We're likely to focus on social and mobile more than console. We'll look at console opportunistically."

"We didn't ascribe any value to the Indiana Jones franchise as part of this acquisition," Iger said later on in the call, suggesting no further installments of that franchise is on the horizon.
    Last edited by Arthur; 30th October 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hohum.

Although this was Lucas' mistake in the first place, this means there will not be as many amusing ripoffs (good buy any incarnations of Family Guy and Robot Chicken of the future) and merchandise.

I'm worried.
    Disney have a reputation of the worst DVDs known to man.
    They also have some of the worst straight-to-DVD sequels of "huge" kids movies (Aladdin 2 is a good example. 102 Dalmations maybe. Fair few more...)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Disney buys LucasFilm for $4 billion, promises Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015

I wonder if they'll rip the force unleashed games and make them into films (that would be interesting imo)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,096 Posts
    A Pixar animated Star Wars film could be cool too. The obvious advantage being that George can revise things much more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Disney have a reputation of the worst DVDs known to man.
    Yeah. In addition to the rubbish sequels you also get tons of unskippable adverts and annoying copy protections too!

Thank Post
    With the amount of money Disney has and outlets to promote films and merch it can sell I think this is a good thing,

Obviously some die hard fans wont be happy but a mickey mouse and friends spin off?

Thank Post
    A good bet will be Disney put out a Star Wars the musical animated by Pixar and sold on iTunes ( as Steve Jobs is/was one of Disneys biggest share holders)

Thank Post
    I did see this and thought oh well Disney buy star wars - means we get to see more toons/shows etc so okay.
    Then I saw they were going to do movies and thought- Cinema release only please!

At the end of the day Disney can do a great job (only have to see their previous great movies) but they can do a lucas and ruin a trilogy (only have to again see Pirates sequels)...

Anyway - we get more star wars for sure so why not, Jury is out and cant wait!

Thank Post
    In the words of Comic Book Guy: Biggest. Sellout. Ever.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Anyway - we get more star wars for sure so why not, Jury is out and cant wait!
    As long as Jar Jar is out as well I will be happy.

Thank Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

When you thought it couldn't get any worse than episode 1,2 and 3

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I wonder if they'll rip the force unleashed games and make them into films (that would be interesting imo)
    film of this please

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Still one of the best story lines in a game

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    As long as Jar Jar is out as well I will be happy.
    Here's a sneak preview of episode 7:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disney buys LucasFilm for  billion, promises Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015-121030084034-star-wars-disney-story-top.jpg  

13. Thanks to Gibbo from:

sparkeh (31st October 2012)

Thank Post
    I can't work out if this is a good or bad thing. I think there is still plenty of milage in the Star Wars 'universe' and it's an immersive world and culture that I'd love to see explored more fully. I'm not sure Disney is the right one to do it, but I'd rather see the franchise in the hands of a powerhouse like Disney, than fizzle into nothing or be mired in mediocrity (lets be fair, Episodes 1 thru 3 were a bit trite). Episode 6 pretty much tied up the loose ends of the Galactic Empire - Both Vader and Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine are now dead, and the impression at the end of Episode 6 is that the control of Galactic Empire has crumbled and oppressed systems are rejoycing in rediscovered freedom (Storm Trooper helmet drums anyone?). Anyone familiar with the Star Wars universe will know there have been extensive post-episode-6 books written - will Ep7 render these 'non-canon' or will it be sympathetic to the plotlines here? Luke, Leia and Han play a huge part in the post-emperor Star Wars world, but Mark Hamil, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are certainly all too old to reprise an 'immediately post-revolution' role so perhaps we are looking at a 'next generation' storyline following some crisis or plot involving decendants (you never know, you might see Mark Hamil and Harrison Ford in it again) - similar to the time gap between Ep3 and Ep4 which allowed for the characters at the end of 3 to age enough that the different actors weren't a problem.

Either way, fans have a choice to ignore the new trilogy and revere the original - it's not like they are re-making the originals.... yet....
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 31st October 2012 at 01:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I can't work out if this is a good or bad thing.
    Bad thing - there solved it for you

Thank Post
    Kinda think they can't do much worse then Eps 1 - 3 but it does seem with a release date of 2015, they are just pumping it out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast