+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 4G - Anyone got/getting it? in General; I'm just being nosey. Us oiks out in the sticks can't get 4G, but I was wondering whether any city ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,596 Posts

4G - Anyone got/getting it?

I'm just being nosey.

Us oiks out in the sticks can't get 4G, but I was wondering whether any city edugeeks have decided to cough up and get it?

To me it seems expensive at the moment especially given that it will only work in a few places. Once coverage spreads and there's some competition on prices, then maybe...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    I'll consider paying for 4G when I can get a reliable 2G (yes, 2G) connection in my office. A good deal of the time I can't even receive calls, and we're in suburban area in a major town.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I'll consider paying for 4G when I can get a reliable 2G (yes, 2G) connection in my office. A good deal of the time I can't even receive calls, and we're in suburban area in a major town.
    That's daft given where you are... you're not exactly out in the middle of nowhere!

My eldest is at uni in Lancaster and reception is regularly non existent up there. She struggles to get the phone to work, let alone data.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Me too, and I am the same sort of place

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    This is why I always laugh at people at conferences when they tell me we don't need wireless because all the pupils have amazing 3G on their phones now.

Thank Post
    Im not interested in it. I ran a speed test on my phone the other week with 3g and i got 6.2meg down and 2.4meg up. Way more than my broadband speed at home

Thank Post
    thought about it but the usage caps are pathetic 5gb max on a mifi 15gb on my 3 3g isnt enough

Thank Post
    Here here,

It doesnt fill me with any confidence in EE here, I joined "Orange" around Feb/March here and it was noticably worse than O2 where I work for signal, now since its become EE, im getting calls dropping left right and centre in work to the point where, its not really usable or viable for me to use a mobile in work, if I am not in my office then there seems to be a slim chance I may get the call, though if it switches from 2g to 3g or does anything with the network, im getting calls dropping all the time.

Thank Post
    Wouldnt even consider it at the minute, when 3G works it is more than fast enough, and when it doesn't, well 4G isn't going to be any better!

I live in London and STILL get appalling 3G reception a lot of the time

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've read in a few places that EE are projecting actual average speeds of 8-12mbps on their LTE service. According to SpeedTest, I get 16mpbs over 3G on my iPhone 5 at home, 10mbps at work and generally at least 8mbps elsewhere assuming I can get a signal. I'm on 3. Why exactly would I want to pay EE for a 4G 500MB SIM only plan the same price that I'm paying 3 for my iPhone 5 with unlimited data and much the same speeds? They're mad!
    Last edited by Norphy; 2nd November 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Thank Post
    That's the biggie, what's the point in being able to download at 20-odd meg a second when you've got a 500MB limit! You'll be paying usage fees within about half an hour!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    That's the biggie, what's the point in being able to download at 20-odd meg a second when you've got a 500MB limit! You'll be paying usage fees within about half an hour!
    The biggest problem with 4G is this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

There will be many people out there that will go straight to 4G because it's the new "shiny-shiny".....I suspect there won't be too many on here that will, as they will see the deals for what they are.

Too much money for too little data!

Thank Post
    At those prices and speeds I really do not think it is worth it.

I've an iPad 3 with data SIM from Three, and have regularly seen 12Mb uploads AND downloads. I'm paying ~ 8 a month for 3Gb cap on this, and 12 a month for unlimited data on another Three SIM, with those prices and speeds there is no way I'd switch to this supposed 4G offering.

Why did they allow 4G to be redefined, it was meant to mean 100Mb to 1Gb speeds, not this half way attempt that is little improvement over a good 3G (or 3.5G as Three call it anyway).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    At those prices and speeds I really do not think it is worth it.

I've an iPad 3 with data SIM from Three, and have regularly seen 12Mb uploads AND downloads. I'm paying ~ 8 a month for 3Gb cap on this, and 12 a month for unlimited data on another Three SIM, with those prices and speeds there is no way I'd switch to this supposed 4G offering.

Why did they allow 4G to be redefined, it was meant to mean 100Mb to 1Gb speeds, not this half way attempt that is little improvement over a good 3G (or 3.5G as Three call it anyway).
    be aware the unlimited 1 plan sim
    a isnt unlimited its 100gb
    b you can tether but you cant use it in a non phone so ipad/mifi device or it can be blocked max data only they do is 15gb which is dumb

Thank Post
    Not really interested given the caps on the packages... my Three sim more than covers me with Unlimited data

Our school has steel walls so the reception is really sucky... but you just learn the sweet spots and put your phone in that area of the office

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast