+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPad Mini - Game Changer? in General; I think Apple have made the right decision to produce a smaller version of the iPad, despite the reluctance of ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

iPad Mini - Game Changer?

I think Apple have made the right decision to produce a smaller version of the iPad, despite the reluctance of Steve Jobs.

The price is a bit higher than I was expecting, but not signficantly so. It's going to be sold out for Christmas, there's no doubt about it.

What are you views? Let the discourse begin!

Thank Post
    Stick to my Nexus 7 thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    It's going to be sold out for Christmas, there's no doubt about it.
    That doesn't mean it's good. Just look at the iPhone 5/iOS 6.

Or the Wii. Sold out for months and months... EVERYONE says it's crap. [I don't know why. I like my Wii.]

Thank Post
    Was hoping for a lower price. Also would need to check if it fits in a pocket. Probably going to hold out for the 32GB Nexus 7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it shows a significant shift in how Apple are operating - catering to customer demands. Which also indicates that they may end up in a confused mess again at some point (eg. their old Mac + normal lines, with internal competition). Bit of a washy prediction but I can see it happening.

Personally, I don't think its that important a device - they used to just go 'we're the best, no-one can say any different, and if we do, we don't care', now they're actively competing with people.

Me? I'll more than likely end up with a Surface of some sort at some point (yet to buy into the tablet world), simply because I'm used to the development style of working in Windows and making apps will be simple for me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was inevitable, and it is the right move, but it is also symptomatic of how Apple has lost its confidence since Jobs passed on. Two years ago they'd have stuck to their guns and told people no, you don't want a 7" device, you want the better experience of a full iPad. Now they're bending in the wind somewhat and catering to what other companies are doing.

I think it may be a misstep on their part to have dropped numbering on the iPads as well; at a guess they're replicating the iMac way of doing things where it's just an iPad (iMac) and this is this year's model. Which is fine, but I think that numbering drives a lot of the Apple upgrades as people want the newest and shiniest and want everyone else to know it. You lose that somewhat now.

Doesn't bother me, of course, but I think it'll bother their bottom line somewhat.

Personally speaking, the Surface tablets look more interesting to me, got my wife a Windows Phone 7.5 mobile a couple of weeks ago and it's a brilliant little OS, if that design sensibility has carried through to Win8 then it'll be a delight to use. The industrial design looks a winner as well, the only problem is - I don't actually need a tablet, and I ain't buying one for no good reason

Thank Post
    Meh, it's still got iOS on it.

Is it small because its made by unpaid 14 year olds?
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 24th October 2012 at 09:41 AM.

8. 4 Thanks to Theblacksheep:

jpaterson (24th October 2012), mthomas08 (24th October 2012), NDW (24th October 2012), Robz (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My views, umm look at the timing. W8 tablet release date decided..... time passes, time passes, media picks it up... Oh look Apple has something 'new'. Bleyuck, premaddonas.

Oh and the device, they left an old iPad in the wash too long, big deal, shame they did not do the same thing to the price tag, they remembered to take that out.

10. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

jpaterson (24th October 2012), Robz (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 727 Posts
    Rumour has it the iPad Mini is made from old iPad 3s that have been shrunk from the tears of their owners at the news of the iPad 4

12. 7 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

DSapseid (24th October 2012), jpaterson (24th October 2012), plexer (24th October 2012), Robz (25th October 2012), tech_guy (24th October 2012), zag (25th October 2012), ZeroHour (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I love my Nexus 7 and im glad that Apple have finally joined the party... Will I buy an Apple? Hell no... will it sell? yes there are millions of sheep out there that will pick one up that means the next bunch of Android tablets will be pushed that far forward again because they have some competition.

Android for me is the winner.. having the ability to download all my apps on to any Android device I own is the best ever... it doesn't matter if Samsung or HTC have the best phone at the time.. its me the consumer who wins because either way I still get my apps

Buy into iOs and your stuck with Apple.. who can price what they want for hardware because you want your apps on your next device...

Did you pickup on that I love Android?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    Did you pickup on that I love Android?
    Nope, that was super subtle.

15. Thanks to X-13 from:

Sheepy (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Resolution is a complete disappointment for me. 163ppi, come on apple, it was you who started knocking everyone else with their terrible displays. Now you bring out a device which goes straight to the bottom of the pile of branded tablets, yet put a price tag on it around 100 more than the competition.

I actually thought I might buy this one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Higher resolution means more processing power needed, and therefore the battery life goes down and the heat output goes up.

So, it makes sense they've done it this way. When they can miniaturise and improve the A5X chip and get that to the same power usage as the one in the mini/ipad 2 then they'll have a chance of introducing a retina display.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    When they can miniaturise and improve the A5X chip and get that to the same power usage as the one in the mini/ipad 2 then they'll have a chance of introducing a retina display.
    So, wait for that one.

Which, if Apple work like they appear to, will be next year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Please, please, please....someone send the Android S.W.A.T. team round to fly in through the window and execute the 2 fanbois in my office!

I've been in an hour and a half and their gushing over Apple is really getting on my nerves! They are already talking about which colour they will get....and THAT is the reason that it will sell millions. Because they've already admitted to me that they're scared of leaving the Apple ecosystem! Deep down they realise that their new shineys are falling behind the competition, but they cannot bring themselves to leave!

Help me!

Help!

P.S. Can you tell I love Android? The Jelly Bean ROM on my SGS is fantastic!!!

20. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

Sheepy (24th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast