+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
General Chat Thread, iPad Mini - Game Changer? in General; Originally Posted by Alis_Klar I think there is a tendancy for non-techies (teachers esp) to feel superior to us techs ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    I think there is a tendancy for non-techies (teachers esp) to feel superior to us techs and when we can beat them at something hands down they feel they have to crow from the rooftops when the fully master a piece of technology (or feel they have). You have to admit iOS devices really are simple to use (the only thing they could have made easier is to replace safari with the "blue e" so thicko's could get on the net with it. )
    In part, its actually that simplicity that annoys me. Diagnosing an issue can be near enough impossible, as there's no way to run anything to actually do any diagnosis - you have to rely on searching Apple's site to see if there's anything related to what is going on. (Eg. the whole 'ssl not going through proxies' issue at the moment).

Android has more flexibility but consequently is perhaps a little more confusing to master to the technophobe.
    I would liken it to a car vs a train. A train is a very simple technology for someone to get from station to station, but as soon as you want to go somewhere which doesn't have a station, you can no longer just take the train. A car allows you to go from anywhere to anywhere, but is more difficult to use.

Both have their place, but a car is a more robust general purpose transport option.

(Note, I don't drive... So for me, I'm stuck with public transport, which on the whole does me fine, but it isn't flexible).

I think as people become more IT literate more people will become frustrated with Apple making all the decisions for them somewhere along the line.
    I think in many cases, the Apple gear forces them into becoming more IT literate, as they hit something they can't do, and are forced to learn other ways of doing it. Then they discover Android and realise that Apple stuff was ridiculously restrictive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Want to annoy apple fan boys? Show them some FPS games, most Macs can't run them without severe graphics lag
    I have absolutely no idea why that would annoy me at all! Sorry. (unless the PS3 caught fire or something).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People that have Macs often have to have a secondary PC to run games...even if they have windows as a bootcamp OS it still gets graphics lag.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    People that have Macs often have to have a secondary PC to run games...even if they have windows as a bootcamp OS it still gets graphics lag.
    Not really noticed ... I suppose it is what you spec your machine to do. My MBP is at the lower limits of most new games but handles a lot of stuff fine, and any limitations are what I am aware of for the graphics chip that is in there. It is fine for vid editing, photo editing etc ... so that is fine. My iMac is newer and more suitable to gaming and handles most things fine. Then again ... I am not an all-singing, all-dancing, immersive, macroed-keyboard, headset-wearing game junky. If I was I would generally be on a PS3, XBOX or I would build a specific box dedicated to gaming ... but doing so on Apple kit would be more expensive than a windows-based PC ... so that is why I would go for the PC. As for the iMac ... it handles Diablo, WoW, FM2012 and Civ 5 fine. Not that I get to play much nowadays ...

Thank Post
    evolution and revolution, the revolution happened in 2010 when the iPad was announced, and yes I know MS had a tablet but it never took off (I used one and it was great!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456