+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPad Mini - Game Changer? in General; I along with others have yet to get an iPad or tablet kind of device. Took me a while to ...
    Thank Post
    I along with others have yet to get an iPad or tablet kind of device. Took me a while to decide on an upgrade mobile to the iPhone, do i regret the decision? well to be frank I have nothing new or extra thats been a benefit to me but I have spent far too much time on it. And .... money for apps.

I will probably wait till Windows 8, dont think the ipad mini at all is a game changer they have simply shrunk their initial design. The iphone was a game changer (i hate to admit it). Of course it will sell there are a lot of dedicated people who decided to queue up for the latest iphone even though it gave very little extra. Even my other half wants it because she is "bored" of her current 4s, ask her why and that is the answer i get - Bored.... She also wanted an ipad - again ask why.. I get no real answer - so she can better use the internet for facebook...

Ack well the latest fab, I thought we was all in financial ruin but people can still spend 300 pound on a device they probably already have but it looks better and maybe a little faster...

Edit:
    Sorry I am not a major in anti MAC but I too am against in buying a new pair of trainers every month, new mobile every 6 months and a new PC every year... a lot of money for something not really needed - my view
    Last edited by mthomas08; 24th October 2012 at 03:19 PM.

2. 3 Thanks to mthomas08:

aerospacemango (24th October 2012), sonofsanta (25th October 2012), Theblacksheep (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    I along with others have yet to get an iPad or tablet kind of device. Took me a while to decide on an upgrade mobile to the iPhone, do i regret the decision? well to be frank I have nothing new or extra thats been a benefit to me but I have spent far too much time on it. And .... money for apps.

I will probably wait till Windows 8, dont think the ipad mini at all is a game changer they have simply shrunk their initial design. The iphone was a game changer (i hate to admit it). Of course it will sell there are a lot of dedicated people who decided to queue up for the latest iphone even though it gave very little extra. Even my other half wants it because she is "bored" of her current 4s, ask her why and that is the answer i get - Bored.... She also wanted an ipad - again ask why.. I get no real answer - so she can better use the internet for facebook...

Ack well the latest fab, I thought we was all in financial ruin but people can still spend 300 pound on a device they probably already have but it looks better and maybe a little faster...

Edit:
    Sorry I am not a major in anti MAC but I too am against in buying a new pair of trainers every month, new mobile every 6 months and a new PC every year... a lot of money for something not really needed - my view
    Well said, that man!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    to me it seems that to supersede a device 7 months into its product cycle is a bit of a shabby thing to do I felt there, that probably could have been held off until at least a 12 month, it is a bit of a kick in the teeth I felt for people who do invest in their technology platform.
    Google's Nexus 7 is only 3 months and 8 days old and the 16GB model is about to be superseded by a 32GB model for the same price. That's like being kicked in the teeth, the shins and the groin all at the same time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rich_tech View Post
    It seems to me that Apple are a bit lost in the post Jobs era
    Tim Cook has worked at Apple for 14 years (thirteen of which were while Steve Jobs was still alive). A large part of Apple's success in the past has been down to Tim, so I don't think Apple are lost at all. They are just doing what they normally do.

I reckon Apple have been planning on making an iPad mini for quite some time since they are experts at price anchoring.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Interesting blog post by Mr Speirs...

Thoughts on iPad mini Fraser Speirs

On the price, it's more than I had hoped for. In the UK, the Nexus 7 is selling for 159. Given the relative strength of the Apple and Google ecosystems, I've never thought that Apple needed to undercut or even match Google's price. I think the gap still feels a little large but you have to look at what people are actually buying and using and I'm not seeing Nexus 7s everywhere I look.

From the point of view of a school, I don't think the iPad mini will enable a lot of new 1:1 programs. The reason that we don't have more isn't purely money. After all, devices cheaper than the iPad have existed for years - they're called Netbooks - and we don't have hundreds of schools full of 1:1 Netbook programs. I think, for a full-time 1:1 deployment, you're still going to want to use a full-size iPad.

What the iPad mini will do is cut the cost of a class-set deployment. When you deploy in a class-set approach, the actual use of the device is typically more ad-hoc and not as detail- and creativity-oriented as a permanent 1:1 scenario. Perhaps the iPad mini will work better in that situation.
    As for the iPad 4, I'm not at all upset that Apple 'obsoleted' my 6-month-old iPad 3. You're asking me would I rather the pace of innovation slowed down just so I could feel like the king of the hill for a bit longer? That's crazy. If there's one thing you'll never hear me ask for, it would be that Apple slow down the rate at which iPads get better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I'd like an equivalent of Tasker if you happen to know what it is.
    I was in a meeting with a teacher who's iphone rang, so I simply said why ont turn the ringer off when in a meeting - how do you do that ? easy on my android, I can turn loads of things on or off depending upon the circumstances, location, apps running etc. I promised I could find something on ios, but i've not been able to.
    Are you scared that if you know how to flick the little switch on the side on an iPhone we'll all accuse you of once having touched one? The iPhone (unjailbroken) has many failings in regards to toggling services on or off quickly (wifi springs to mind) but toggling the ringer to silent it not one of them! Has the iOS bashing really leaped into unreality on this thread?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    Are you scared that if you know how to flick the little switch on the side on an iPhone we'll all accuse you of once having touched one? The iPhone (unjailbroken) has many failings in regards to toggling services on or off quickly (wifi springs to mind) but toggling the ringer to silent it not one of them! Has the iOS bashing really leaped into unreality on this thread?
    Look up tasker.

See what it does.

Realise how stupid what you just said is.

8. Thanks to X-13 from:

CyberNerd (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    The scenario was that a teacher went into a meeting without turning their phone to silent. Will the teacher really have the time to learn tasker and set up a profile. The great unwashed want a simple solution

Thank Post

iPad Mini - Game Changer?

In terms of putting the phone on silent though, what's up with the switch?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The scenario was that a teacher went into a meeting without turning their phone to silent. Will the teacher really have the time to learn tasker and set up a profile. The great unwashed want a simple solution
    Because doing something simple hundreds of times is so much more efficient than doing something reasonably simple once. I don't dispute your logic though, the average idiocracy characters that inhabit this place raving about iRubbish because they can actually use it is so depressing and a very sad enditement of the human race. We are headed into another dark ages with captain Apple at the helm. Because remember kiddies, stupidity is cool!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Because remember kiddies, stupidity is cool!
    Of course it it.

Don't you remember "the cool kids" when you were at school? Did THEY ever pay attention to their studies? [YMMV]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    iOS isn't by any means perfect, and sure for some people something like Tasker can be invaluable (and a reason to choose Android over iOS), however when evaluating "Killer Apps" for education it's probably nowhere near as high on my list as Garageband or Pages (and as a guitarist, AmpKit trumps everything). From my experience of having tried both ecosystems the quality of apps seem higher and the breadth wider on iOS at the moment. I do hope that it will change, after all Android is now the number 1 phone OS and for all it's faults Windows 8 is still Windows backed (hopefully) by 30 years of Windows development.

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    In terms of putting the phone on silent though, what's up with the switch?
    Lol, I didn't want to ask! (I use mine all the time - it works very well).
    Last edited by tmcd35; 25th October 2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    From my experience of having tried both ecosystems the quality of apps seem higher and the breadth wider on iOS at the moment.
    To be fair, that could be because of the standardisation.

All iPhones have the same OS. Which works in the same way.

Android is currently way too fragmented.

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Windows 8 is still Windows backed (hopefully) by 30 years of Windows development.
    Ahem. Vista.

That is all.

Thank Post
    I think there is a tendancy for non-techies (teachers esp) to feel superior to us techs and when we can beat them at something hands down they feel they have to crow from the rooftops when the fully master a piece of technology (or feel they have). You have to admit iOS devices really are simple to use (the only thing they could have made easier is to replace safari with the "blue e" so thicko's could get on the net with it. )

Android has more flexibility but consequently is perhaps a little more confusing to master to the technophobe.

I think as people become more IT literate more people will become frustrated with Apple making all the decisions for them somewhere along the line.
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 25th October 2012 at 10:13 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a tendancy for non-techies (teachers esp) to feel superior to us techs
    Oh, God, yes.

There's only 1 teacher here I don't really mind it from. He's a fellow comic-nerd, has a degree in programming [and professional experience of it] and shares my immature humour. [And uses Android.]

Don't get me wrong, it annoys me. Just not as much as it does coming from other people.

I think as people become more IT literate more people will become frustrated with Apple making all the decisions for them somewhere along the line.
    The thing is... That's the reason why Apple stuff "just works".

BEACUSE it's so locked down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Want to annoy apple fan boys? Show them some FPS games, most Macs can't run them without severe graphics lag

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast