+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPad Mini - Game Changer? in General; Originally Posted by Theblacksheep Windows RT wasn't mentioned, Windows 8 was. Windows 8 has millions of 'apps'. And once again, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Windows RT wasn't mentioned, Windows 8 was.

Windows 8 has millions of 'apps'.
    And once again, context. We're talking about tablet devices. The only Windows 8 tablet available is the one running Windows 8 RT. Therefore, the most sensible context for the mention of 'Windows 8' to be would be in reference to Windows 8 RT...

Windows has loads of applications sure, but hardly any are tablet friendly...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    And once again, context. We're talking about tablet devices. The only Windows 8 tablet available is the one running Windows 8 RT. Therefore, the most sensible context for the mention of 'Windows 8' to be would be in reference to Windows 8 RT...
    No, none are available right now, the release date is Friday for RT and 8 devices.

Loads are available on pre-order. Most models are x86.

Microsoft are quite clear: Windows RT is arm, Windows 8 is x86. It's also called Windows RT, not Windows 8 RT. Its listed in the Windows Edition and GPOs as such. The most sensible context for Windows 8 is x86.

Gone O/T now...
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 24th October 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Me, I'm just wondering how I'm going to avoid hitting the ignorati who will look at any 7" tablet that isn't an iPad Mini and say in a condescending tone, "Oh - they're just copying Apple."

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    The only Windows 8 tablet available is the one running Windows 8 RT. Therefore, the most sensible context for the mention of 'Windows 8' to be would be in reference to Windows 8 RT...
    There's Windows RT and Windows 8, but no Windows 8 RT. It doesn't exist!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the thing - we should be looking at education outcomes and seeing if the stuff we're spending money on is actually worth it.
    I'd agree with that. The question then becomes how do you quantify the impact of IT on lessons, and that includes the teachers laptop and projector? It's unfair then to reduce IT to one subject, all subjects want to use IT, and we have to resource it. This is one of the questions that I know is going around our SLT at the moment. What measure do you use to say that half our of Internet access makes X amount of difference to a geography lesson compared to using an atlas?

You know what can do all those things? A laptop. Or a desktop... You know the other thing? They've been able to do it for more than 10 years. I remember using Fruity Loops as a kid on a pentium 2.
    Yes, but have you tried carrying a PC between lessons. Even laptops are too big really on that scale. There might be some mileage in netbooks, but even so the touchscreen tablet form factor does bring something to the table.

Here's the question we are grappling with - "We have 4 ICT suites. They are not always fully booked, but we do get complaints because there are a number of periods where they are fully booked and more teachers want to use them. Do we had a 5th ICT suite that is hardly booked but still get complaints from the 6th or 7th teacher during the wrong period? What about laptop trolleys for each department <shudder>?" - Most of the time the suites are booked for Internet research. Causing complaints when others want to do controlled assessments and no rooms are available. How do you solve that problem?

Tablets are one answer, might not be the right one, but then again...

Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    And this is the way to win any serious argument!
    Lol, my bad - you're right

You gave a few choices of app, this was rebutted with a list of app choices. You decide that your point of view is the only correct one, and thus all the apps shown must be of inferior quality to your precious Apple choices.
    My problem becomes I now need to show you the two apps side by side to see the difference. Of the office apps, I believe QuickOffice is the best listed. I've used this on my iPad. Now QuickOffice is to Pages as Wordpad is to MS Work. In fact QuickOffice has more in common with WordPad and Pages is somewhere between MS Word and publisher.

Is the iPad Mini a game changer? no that was the original iPad. But it's a welcome addition at a reasonable price (should have been a bit cheaper). At the moment it's the best recommendation I have for my headteacher. I'd like to see some quality apps hit Android, if they did I'd probably switch myself, just doesn't seem to be happening for some reason. It's a bit like Linux vs. Windows. Everybody want's to love Linux but when you actually use it, well most of the time I'm reminded of Windows 98 and Office 97.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    By that logic we should rip out all the computers and put the chalkboards back up. (That said, I'm very pleased I'm not the one being paid to make those kinds of decisions).

Erm, I take it you've not used Garageband then? Can you recommend me a good Android alternative to AmpKit+? How about attaching a keyboard and using Pages? Hell, is there a good android alternative to Pages?

EDIT: The only reason for me recommending iPad's is app availability. Android doesn't seem to have good alternatives to Garageband or Pages or Keynote, etc. And Windows 8, well it's doesn't have any apps (the store was quiet barren last time I looked). If the app availability on other platforms changes, then so will my opinion. (I do like ICS as an OS).
    You honestly can't see an alternative for pages or keynote on Windows 8??? (or even Windows RT??) Please, open the other eye!

It's starting to sound like tailoring education to tech instead of tailoring tech to education.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan View Post
    You honestly can't see an alternative for pages or keynote on Windows 8??? (or even Windows RT??) Please, open the other eye!
    I'll hold my hands up on this one, only because I know a new version of Office is due for release around the same time, and my understanding is that it has been engineered with Windows 8 metro mode in mind. So yes, of course there is Powerpoint. Now if Steinberg could be so kind as to release a metro version of CuBase my argument will be lost entirely

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Erm, I take it you've not used Garageband then? Can you recommend me a good Android alternative to AmpKit+? How about attaching a keyboard and using Pages? Hell, is there a good android alternative to Pages?

I'd like an equivalent of Tasker if you happen to know what it is.
    I was in a meeting with a teacher who's iphone rang, so I simply said why ont turn the ringer off when in a meeting - how do you do that ? easy on my android, I can turn loads of things on or off depending upon the circumstances, location, apps running etc. I promised I could find something on ios, but i've not been able to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Shazam.

I've heard of a few issues with it, but a lot of people like it.

10. Thanks to X-13 from:

CyberNerd (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was in a meeting with a teacher who's iphone rang, so I simply said why ont turn the ringer off when in a meeting - how do you do that ? easy on my android, I can turn loads of things on or off depending upon the circumstances, location, apps running etc. I promised I could find something on ios, but i've not been able to.
    It's like all apple products, really simple, there is one button that fixes everything
    iPad Mini - Game Changer?-4266lump_hammer.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Shazam.

I've heard of a few issues with it, but a lot of people like it.
    Thanks - I couldn't see any calender integration though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks - I couldn't see any calender integration though.
    Similar, but not quite the same.

Could be the reason to jailbreak.
    Last edited by X-13; 24th October 2012 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries

Surprised nobody has posted this yet!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Surprised nobody has posted this yet!
    I would have done it at some point. Though probably not from 9gag.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The things with tablets ... they are just a tool. Like any tech, you can do some wonderful stuff with it but how well that happens depends on the teacher, the ethos of the school, the curriculum that is delivered ... and whilst you shouldn't tailor education to tech, there are time when doing so will actually give things a structure and purpose that makes change in other areas far easier ... but this will vary from school to school.

When looking at tablets there are some pretty common concepts between them all and understanding those is important. Look at previous research about mobile tech, about game-based learning, about tech-enhanced learning and you can see this. The main thing that matters is that when choosing the tech you have to consider whether there are some killer apps or functions that funnel a few things in your decision making, about whether the cost of implementation / management is considered, about how the models of learning will change over the next 5 years (or rather, how they will change at your school) ... and work out whether it is cost effective to use tablets for this.

Combining it with other changes around better use of a VLE / LP and you can get some of the cost savings you might need to help improve your infrastructure ... some of it might be invest to save ... it will vary from school to school.

Consider training of staff and learners ... and learners will need some training, just not in the same model or the same training the staff get ... the idea of digital natives is a myth ...

When it comes to people saying that you can't do X ... it generally means that X is difficult, expensive, time consuming or is not yet a feature ... these are all things that can be compromised around.

Also remember that education is not democracy. You will have people say they want to use Y ... and there are times you just have to get on with it ...

The iPad Mini is a good replacement for those schools who had been using or looking at iPod touches as learner devices ... a bit more expensive but the larger screen / better performance looks like it will be worth it. The apps are likely to be the key to why iOS devices are chosen, along with learner engagement (yes ... the 'oh shiny' factor can work to the benefit of the school if channeled correctly) and the 'consumer management' model has been shown to be workable.

That is not to say that other devices can't do the same ... and give it 12 months and it might be that there are killer apps on other platforms that schools want ... and stuff that is not just on a website so thinking about a device which is mainly just a browser is not likely to be the solution.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast