+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPad Mini - Game Changer? in General; Originally Posted by SYNACK There is still no proper stylus either. Yes, they can be useful in conjunction, if you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,641 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    There is still no proper stylus either. Yes, they can be useful in conjunction, if you want precision of intent as opposed to blunt grunts of intent from a fingertip.
    David Hockney doesn't seem to have any problem with precision on an iPad. The stuff he's done is amazing!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So, using your figures of £100k a year costs, you think that ipads will give better results than say an extra 3 or so teachers, or 8 TAs?
    By that logic we should rip out all the computers and put the chalkboards back up. (That said, I'm very pleased I'm not the one being paid to make those kinds of decisions).

Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

When I say "creating things" I mean text-wise. Art-wise it's just a fancy sketchpad. Music-wise it's a fancy keyboard. I've always found it awkward to type on tablets, unless they have good handwriting recognition.
    Erm, I take it you've not used Garageband then? Can you recommend me a good Android alternative to AmpKit+? How about attaching a keyboard and using Pages? Hell, is there a good android alternative to Pages?

EDIT: The only reason for me recommending iPad's is app availability. Android doesn't seem to have good alternatives to Garageband or Pages or Keynote, etc. And Windows 8, well it's doesn't have any apps (the store was quiet barren last time I looked). If the app availability on other platforms changes, then so will my opinion. (I do like ICS as an OS).
    Last edited by tmcd35; 24th October 2012 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    David Hockney doesn't seem to have any problem with precision on an iPad. The stuff he's done is amazing!
    Good for him, great photographers can take great shots with a disposable camera. Some of us need the extra help though, not everyone is an actual artist and definatly not every Apple user is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    By that logic we should rip out all the computers and put the chalkboards back up. (That said, I'm very pleased I'm not the one being paid to make those kinds of decisions).
    That's the thing - we should be looking at education outcomes and seeing if the stuff we're spending money on is actually worth it. We need to use IT in schools because that's what we use outside schools - so in and of itself, IT is a subject and needs teaching. Using tablets is not currently the norm in all other aspects of life, so you're advocating using technology for other subjects. So, in a way, its 2 different things.

Erm, I take it you've not used Garageband then? Can you recommend me a good Android alternative to AmpKit+? How about attaching a keyboard and using Pages? Hell, is there a good android alternative to Pages?
    You know what can do all those things? A laptop. Or a desktop... You know the other thing? They've been able to do it for more than 10 years. I remember using Fruity Loops as a kid on a pentium 2.

Not to mention, do all kids need to be able to play in Garage Band in every lesson? No? And why pages on a tablet? You just advocated using a keyboard with it - why not just provide a laptop?
    Last edited by localzuk; 24th October 2012 at 11:24 AM.

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

SYNACK (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, no I have not.

I'm not sure what AmpKit+ does... But, what about these.

Pages is iOS Word? What about these?

Keyboard? Boom.

Thank Post
    And Windows 8, well it's doesn't have any apps (the store was quiet barren last time I looked). If the app availability on other platforms changes, then so will my opinion.
    Except for all the millions of x86 apps that are already available and work fine in Windows 8.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    I'm not sure what AmpKit+ does... But, what about these.

Pages is iOS Word? What about these?
    Thank you, two lists that prove my point on app quality. I'm sure there are other examples out there.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Except for all the millions of x86 apps that are already available and work fine in Windows 8.
    Good luck using them with the touch screen, I'm sure there's a reason why the touch versions of XP and 7 were so hugely successful!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, two lists that prove my point on app quality. I'm sure there are other examples out there.
    So, you've used every single one of them and can honestly say they're bad?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Only on x86, not RT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tablets are, undoubtedly, going to be massive for education, once there is an affordable, manageable product with good battery life. I don't think the iPad mini is the device we're waiting for, though. It's still designed for consumers rather than enterprise, so isn't easily manageable (and this is where MS missed a trick with RT). It's still too damned expensive.

What we need for students is a colour e-ink device with a capacitive touch screen. Battery life would be in the days rather than hours, and the eye strain would be infinitely better. They'd be cheaper. More robust. Make them manageable and controllable and you're well away.

Staff can have full fat iPad/Android/Win8 style tablets as they'll be able to make more use of the power and the greater screen capabilities. Have NFC built in to everything so the teacher can drag work over from kids' tablets, fling resources out to everyone, throw stuff up to the projector. Give them a docking station and they can keep their battery going all day.

The iPad family (and every other tablet out there atm) are all too much like islands; designed for one person to only rarely connect to others, and not designed for constant mesh communication. They're all for consumers, and consumer kit just is not good enough to use without a massive investment of effort. Fair enough if you're happy to do that, but for me, I'd have to neglect other parts of the network to look after the tablets, and I'm not willing to do that until the time investment in them becomes more efficient.

13. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Alis_Klar (24th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And this is the way to win any serious argument!

You gave a few choices of app, this was rebutted with a list of app choices. You decide that your point of view is the only correct one, and thus all the apps shown must be of inferior quality to your precious Apple choices.

And once again, we are back to square one! My app is better than your app! Way to go!

iPad mini being a game changer, like the title suggests? Do me a favour! Drop the price by £100, and it might well have been, but I stand by my original comments.

People will buy them as status symbols and only fanbois cannot see that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    W8 Acer 510p x86 tablets, 9h or 18h with the keyboard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Only on x86, not RT.
    Windows RT wasn't mentioned, Windows 8 was.

Windows 8 has millions of 'apps' already available and working.
    Last edited by Theblacksheep; 24th October 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    People will buy them as status symbols and only fanbois cannot see that!
    The only thing I like about the Apple/Windows/Android[*nix] hoo-hah is that, sometimes, it forces the others the make better stuff to combat the latest thing.

Anything that results is better, cheaper tech is fine with me. [Not including human rights violations, war crimes and/or alien overlords.]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast