+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Meeting with headteacher in General; Well i have a meeting with one of the headteachers of a school. do you think its cheeky of me ...

Thank Post

Meeting with headteacher

Well i have a meeting with one of the headteachers of a school. do you think its cheeky of me to ask her

How far she wants to push ICT in her school?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan233 View Post
    Well i have a meeting with one of the headteachers of a school. do you think its cheeky of me to ask her

How far she wants to push ICT in her school?
    >Raise eyebrow quizzically.

Your eyebrow is raised in a quizzical manner.

If you don't mind sharing, what's the meeting about?

Thank Post
    Basically i have just took over 10 primary schools and the headteacher of one of the schools whats a update on how things are going and how things can be improved.
    But she always says that her school's are all about pen and paper and pupils reading books.

So basically i wanna see where ICT lies within the school and how far she wants to push it without the school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan233 View Post
    Basically i have just took over 10 primary schools and the headteacher of one of the schools whats a update on how things are going and how things can be improved.
    But she always says that her school's are all about pen and paper and pupils reading books.

So basically i wanna see where ICT lies within the school and how far she wants to push it without the school.
    I would ask then.

Plus, ICT is something that is becomming more and more necessary in later life [for work and whatnot]. Refusing to teach it properly on the basis of "we prefer pen and paper" is setting pupils up to fail. [Even moreso, now that ICT is [possibly] becoming old-school computing.]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask if one of the schools tends to be more up for trialling stuff, or has a teacher who's very hands on with computers, and see if you can run a trial there with an ICT lab or smartboards or something. She may not want to use ICT from bad experience in the past with kit being bought and left to waste, but if you have a good practicioner to hand you can demonstrate how good it can be. And make no mistake, in primaries it can be brilliant.

Thank Post
    in all the schools i have took her. even with this one. we have promethean in every classroom, laptops and we also have a one computer suite with 16 computers in but there are 5-6 years old. but i would like to include some wireless tech, notebooks. maybe some tablets too.

Where do you think ICT should lead in primary schools?

Thank Post
    I would expect all primary schhol children to leave with a knowledge of Word, Powerpoint and Publisher as a minimum, throw in some skills with a drawing package and some logical thinking with the likes of Logo and that would give them a good grounding into what to expect at secondary school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Look at their Ofsted report... what does it say about the school? What does it say about their use of IT?

You shouldn't be asking how far this HT wants to push IT? You should be asking all your schools how they think IT can help to improve Teaching & Learning within their school... and Would it help to have a meeting with you to discuss areas where IT may help as part of the solution?

Ultimately every school has targets it needs to reach by the end of each Key Stage. These HT don't need shiny, they need tools that help their teachers to achieve or exceed these targets.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd October 2012 at 02:48 PM.

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

X-13 (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    These HT don't need shiny, they need tools that help their teachers to achieve or exceed these targets.
    Quoted for truth.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,061 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to General Chat!

Thank Post
    Point out how ICT can be used as a tool for teaching other parts of the curriculum. We don't have ICT lessons any more (infant school), but they pick up most of the skills through using ICT to deliver art, literacy, numeracy and knowledge of the world. It can definitely increase engagement and accessibility to the standard curriculum areas for a wider range of children.

Also, they have a responsibility to teach e-safety. By the time the kids leave primary, half of them will be on Facebook (or whatever replaces it in the next 6 years), so it's part of child protection.

Thank Post
    I think I would rephrase the question and ask her what vision she has for ICT in her school. Ideally a short, medium and long term plan needs to be devised, to help with where they currently are and where they would like to be. It also helps to put the ideas on paper to help produce a budget of works required.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread