+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
General Chat Thread, so CV Writing in General; I'm finally trying to get mine up to date and shiny, so I was wondering: Things like personal statements - ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    mnah mnah!
    Posts
    1,126
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 227 Times in 173 Posts
    Rep Power
    113

    so CV Writing

    I'm finally trying to get mine up to date and shiny, so I was wondering:

    Things like personal statements - fluff or a good thing to have? What say ye?

    Any other hot tips?

  2. #2

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,521
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    Yes
    Send it to me and I will have a look
    I am an ex-recruitment consultant/headhunter in engineering, computing and electronics and I run a sort of unofficial CV writing service. (I am an engineer as well - or was once)
    Some people on here will confirm that I'm not too bad at it, either.
    Pm me for my email addy
    Everyone has different ideas about what constitutes a good CV - there are many ways to do it. IMHO it should be sharp and technical with no waffle and absolutely NO personal statement. After all, what are you going to say? That you are no good?
    A covering letter is where you say something about your experience and how it relates to the job in question.

  3. 3 Thanks to witch:

    Ad93 (11th December 2014), mossj88 (23rd October 2012), Roberto (23rd October 2012)

  4. #3

    X-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    9,839
    Thank Post
    669
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    After all, what are you going to say? That you are no good?
    Yes. As an elaborate bluff, which would render dismissal because of incompetance impossible. [IANAL]

  5. #4
    mmoseley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    759
    Thank Post
    109
    Thanked 108 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Some people on here will confirm that I'm not too bad at it.
    I can confirm this! @witch helped me a lot with mine...(and since @witch re-wrote it & made it all a bit more professional) I posted it on a job site and had near enough one or two phone calls a day! Still do here and there!

    PS - Thank you Witch!

  6. 2 Thanks to mmoseley:

    Roberto (23rd October 2012), witch (23rd October 2012)

  7. #5

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    958
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Brevity is the soul of wit, and the path to a better CV. No-one wants to read unnecessary fluff that was a waste of your time writing in the first place.

  8. 2 Thanks to sonofsanta:

    elsiegee40 (23rd October 2012), Roberto (23rd October 2012)

  9. #6

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,521
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Brevity is the soul of wit, and the path to a better CV. No-one wants to read unnecessary fluff that was a waste of your time writing in the first place.
    Yep! ( )

  10. 3 Thanks to witch:

    Ad93 (11th December 2014), Roberto (25th October 2012), sonofsanta (23rd October 2012)

  11. #7

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    958
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yep! ( )
    Buddum-tsh!

  12. #8


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3,395
    Thank Post
    301
    Thanked 917 Times in 684 Posts
    Rep Power
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Everyone has different ideas about what constitutes a good CV - there are many ways to do it. IMHO it should be sharp and technical with no waffle and absolutely NO personal statement. After all, what are you going to say? That you are no good? A covering letter is where you say something about your experience and how it relates to the job in question.
    Just to disagree slightly; my 'standard CV' would get sent to multiple agencies who put it on file and then their search algorithms will match it up with jobs at which point they email me and invite me to apply. At that point I will produce a covering letter and a version of the of the CV tailored to the actual job. I would include a very short personal statement on the standard CV because it never gets a covering letter.

  13. #9

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,521
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Just to disagree slightly; my 'standard CV' would get sent to multiple agencies who put it on file and then their search algorithms will match it up with jobs at which point they email me and invite me to apply. At that point I will produce a covering letter and a version of the of the CV tailored to the actual job. I would include a very short personal statement on the standard CV because it never gets a covering letter.
    Not really disagreeing then - you are producing a covering letter and a tailored CV. Do you mean that you think the employers dont all see the covering letter? I see why you would then include a personal statement but if it is short then it can't say a lot, and if you have tailored your CV you shouldnt really need one. My point really was though that in a general CV you dont add a personal statement.

  14. 2 Thanks to witch:

    Ad93 (11th December 2014), Roberto (25th October 2012)

  15. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    mnah mnah!
    Posts
    1,126
    Thank Post
    275
    Thanked 227 Times in 173 Posts
    Rep Power
    113
    Thanks to everyone for the responses so far, in particular Witch's generous offer.

  16. #11

    Oaktech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bournemouth
    Posts
    3,217
    Thank Post
    943
    Thanked 645 Times in 504 Posts
    Rep Power
    288
    Indeed... My view is that personal statements are the devil and should only be presented under direct request!

  17. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    163
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Some people on here will confirm that I'm not too bad at it, either.
    Witch helped me get my current job, so she knows her stuff (even if your CV does come back with a load of red writing)

  18. Thanks to mossj88 from:

    witch (25th October 2012)

  19. #13

    witch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    11,521
    Thank Post
    1,532
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Rep Power
    814
    The dreaded RED FONT
    arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 28th January 2013, 08:25 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10th February 2006, 08:27 AM
  3. Cold, so very cold....
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 18th November 2005, 04:43 PM
  4. Delayed Write Failed when saving over a network
    By indiegirl in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 4th November 2005, 11:21 AM
  5. Hot, so very hot....
    By Dos_Box in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12th July 2005, 08:27 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •