+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Looking to get back into gaming in General; Originally Posted by DMcGuigan Can still buy it though, pre-orders :P I stated bought, so I get away with that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcGuigan View Post
    Can still buy it though, pre-orders :P I stated bought, so I get away with that one ^^

Yeah, I know they're expansions, but I wouldn't want to play AC3 until I've done the previous games.. tis just the way I am.
    Indeed. I have pre-ordered the HMV version.

and yeah, there's a few bits in AC:B/AC:R that lead into the modern-day parts of AC3.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I kinda wish they didn't bother with all the modern-day sci fi guff. Have the courage of your convictions and just set your games in cool historical periods.

It's a shame AC1 was so rote and repetitive as the setting was amazing, and I'm disappointed at the choice for AC3, revolutionary France would've been much cooler. Or go backwards again, into the Byzantine Empire, or some of the Islamic/Christian scraps in Spain, or in the Age of Discovery... but no, we get Assassin's Creed: The Patriot, where we're all made to feel guilty for being British and our filthy tax-greedy ways.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I kinda wish they didn't bother with all the modern-day sci fi guff. Have the courage of your convictions and just set your games in cool historical periods.

It's a shame AC1 was so rote and repetitive as the setting was amazing, and I'm disappointed at the choice for AC3, revolutionary France would've been much cooler. Or go backwards again, into the Byzantine Empire, or some of the Islamic/Christian scraps in Spain, or in the Age of Discovery... but no, we get Assassin's Creed: The Patriot, where we're all made to feel guilty for being British and our filthy tax-greedy ways.
    Around the time of AC:B someone at Ubisoft mentioned a Victorian London AC.

That would be cool. Much steampunkery would be had.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Around the time of AC:B someone at Ubisoft mentioned a Victorian London AC.

That would be cool. Much steampunkery would be had.
    Or a plague era, culminating in the Great Fire, with alchemy abounding in the streets of London-town

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Or a plague era, culminating in the Great Fire, with alchemy abounding in the streets of London-town
    All of my want.

Thank Post
    I ended up getting an ATI 7870 (free gaimz, opencl is apparently much / going to be bigger than cuda, oc'd this card is a beast and better than the gtx 660 etc)

I presume (4 year old) TVs aren't good for gaming? If that's the case I need a new monitor? And probably an SSD in the new year. Who needs savings? lol

Thank Post
    Your TV will be fine for now - it's not ideal mainly because getting into a position where you can use keyboard and mouse with a big screen is tricky. On the plus side, at 720P or thereabouts you have a really well-specced gaming rig, that'll throw great framerates around.

An SSD is getting to be an essential component now. My gaming PC doesn't have one, and it's frustrating when everything else I use does! As for screens, a decent 24" 1080P IPS screen (or even just a good TFT) is not mega money any more, and your PC is more than capable at that resolution too.

8. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

mwbutler (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbutler View Post
    I ended up getting an ATI 7870 (free gaimz, opencl is apparently much / going to be bigger than cuda, oc'd this card is a beast and better than the gtx 660 etc)

I presume (4 year old) TVs aren't good for gaming? If that's the case I need a new monitor? And probably an SSD in the new year. Who needs savings? lol
    What is worth getting is an Xbox 360 controller - or the USB-wireless receiver if you have a 360 already - as a lot of games have native 360 controller support and Steam has Big Picture Mode now, designed to let you play from your armchair. Another £20 on top is well worth it, imo.

10. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Your TV will be fine for now - it's not ideal mainly because getting into a position where you can use keyboard and mouse with a big screen is tricky. On the plus side, at 720P or thereabouts you have a really well-specced gaming rig, that'll throw great framerates around.

An SSD is getting to be an essential component now. My gaming PC doesn't have one, and it's frustrating when everything else I use does! As for screens, a decent 24" 1080P IPS screen (or even just a good TFT) is not mega money any more, and your PC is more than capable at that resolution too.
    I'll probably wait until xmas / new year sales to get an SSD unless I see a good deal before that. Maybe same for a monitor as well unless I find that my TV is perfectly fine.

What is worth getting is an Xbox 360 controller - or the USB-wireless receiver if you have a 360 already - as a lot of games have native 360 controller support and Steam has Big Picture Mode now, designed to let you play from your armchair. Another £20 on top is well worth it, imo.
    I was considering getting a controller (I don't have a 360) as IMO the older GTAs and a few racing games on a keyboard and mouse is unplayable...that's probably due to the fact I'm used to playing those games on a PS3.
    Last edited by mwbutler; 25th October 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll probably wait until xmas / new year sales to get an SSD unless I see a good deal before that. Maybe same for a monitor as well unless I find that my TV is perfectly fine.
    SSDs are ridiculously cheap right now. I'd not be waiting personally, else you'll always be waiting for them.

I was considering getting a controller (I don't have a 360) as IMO the older GTAs and a few racing games on a keyboard and mouse is unplayable...that's probably due to the fact I'm used to playing those games on a PS3.
    Weird. I find pretty much all games unplayable with controllers. But then, I've never really played console games. Keyboard/mouse is a lot simpler to me. I even used to remap the WASD keys to the arrow keys until about 5 years ago.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    I was the exact same when I moved from consoles, but for some reason, I'm better with WASD now for driving... didn't notice it til sleeping dogs. I just keep my hand well away from the mouse and focus on the driving. Though if I have to shoot, bye bye cop rating.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Buy Xbox 360 Controller for Windows | Free UK Delivery | GAME - £18, seems about the cheapest.

I can't stand racing games on a keyboard anymore, even though I grew up on the Amiga & PC more than console. And sometimes it's just nice to kick back in your armchair and relax as you drift though Trine, sitting at a keybaord always ends up with me hunched over and leaning forward for some reason.

16. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    SSDs are ridiculously cheap right now. I'd not be waiting personally, else you'll always be waiting for them.
    Oh right. I might have a look at around then.

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Weird. I find pretty much all games unplayable with controllers. But then, I've never really played console games. Keyboard/mouse is a lot simpler to me. I even used to remap the WASD keys to the arrow keys until about 5 years ago.
    I've always been a console gamer up until the last year or so, so that's most likely why I prefer contollers.

Buy Xbox 360 Controller for Windows | Free UK Delivery | GAME - £18, seems about the cheapest.

I can't stand racing games on a keyboard anymore, even though I grew up on the Amiga & PC more than console. And sometimes it's just nice to kick back in your armchair and relax as you drift though Trine, sitting at a keybaord always ends up with me hunched over and leaning forward for some reason.
    Ohh thanks for the link!

Thank Post
    The Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD seems to get good reviews. Any other SSD drives I should consider? Thanks once again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    The Samsung 256GB 830 Series SSD seems to get good reviews. Any other SSD drives I should consider? Thanks once again
    either that or CT256M4SSD2 - 256GB, 2.5-inch Solid State Drive , from Crucial.com

20. Thanks to glennda from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast