+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Social Media annoyance in General; Any one else getting annoyed by the whole social media thing? I used to be an avid user but now ...
    Thank Post

Social Media annoyance

Any one else getting annoyed by the whole social media thing?

I used to be an avid user but now it annoys me ive started not using it, I still use Twitter as that is one thing that isnt annoying for me. I used to use Facebook, G+, Four square

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I drop in on Facebook every so often. I have someone from my Comic shop added, so I can preorder stuff from home.

Plus, I use it for the Assassin's Creed community. [Not the official one... Too many spoilers.]

Thank Post
    Thats the problem with using so many different ones. You become over-saturated by trying to keep track of them all. Personally I can't get my head around Twitter so don't really use it, but I only maintain 1 profile and that is my Facebook profile. That way I only have one to worry about. I won't use Linkedin or G+ and I refuse to accept friend requests from students (when I was teaching some of my year 8 pupils tried to friend me. My profile is locked down so they couldn't see much beyond my name but it was a nice try) or customers (I've had a few of these) as that is not the point of Facebook - it's private and personal to connect with distant family and friends so people that try to invade my privacy are firmly denied. End of story. The game invites annoy me, but usually as soon as a person sends me 1 game or application invite, I change their settings so they aren't permitted to send me any more invites. Problem solved.

If you lock the profile down enough and impose a stringent set of rules, it does not become an annoyance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    I drop into facebook, but the others are rarely used. I have too much other stuff to do. Google+ was only ever an experiment on my part to see what it's about, I dabble in Linked In occasionally and Twitter was only something I used on behalf of the school.

This reminds me of this: Where should you post your status?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,116 Times in 1,452 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    The game invites annoy me, but usually as soon as a person sends me 1 game or application invite, I change their settings so they aren't permitted to send me any more invites. Problem solved.

I've only sent out invites once. And that was for a ME3 avatar t-shirt.

And I apologised for it as I was doing it. [You could add a message to the invite]

Thank Post
    I absolutely agree and think its just not worth the effort, I have accounts with FB/G+ and twitter (I pretty much closed them down as I had grown tired of them last year)

Facebook I had an especially big issue with, because if a friend posts something gruesome or a particularly nasty image (a picture relating to tropical insect infestation on a human was the absolute turning point for me) or stupid images then there is no active censorship, its just "WHAM" look at this image so and so pasted on your news feed.

I find after coming off them I read them barely at all these days and personally I am much happier for it.

I quite like google+ but its just not popular enough.

FB I went back onto recently to post about the little boy we now have on the way, as the wife and I obviously wanted to share that information with friends (I dont generally have "randoms" at all on my FB, people have to know me to be on mine, no passing acquaintances or anything as such) but even now, I think that its gone absolutely horrendous, full of spam, adverts and sh*t quite honestly, its not a fun thing when you have to spend your first ten minutes blocking posts/spam on anything.

Twitter I like because of the fact its short and sweet and you can choose whether or not you look at something on there or trust the link off a person, rather than the "WHAM HAVE A LOOK AT THIS APPROACH" on FB, but even that is dependent on who your following on there I think, I am finding no reason really to go on there these days either.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Thats the problem with using so many different ones. You become over-saturated by trying to keep track of them all. Personally I can't get my head around Twitter so don't really use it, but I only maintain 1 profile and that is my Facebook profile. That way I only have one to worry about. I won't use Linkedin or G+ and I refuse to accept friend requests from students (when I was teaching some of my year 8 pupils tried to friend me. My profile is locked down so they couldn't see much beyond my name but it was a nice try) or customers (I've had a few of these) as that is not the point of Facebook - it's private and personal to connect with distant family and friends so people that try to invade my privacy are firmly denied. End of story. The game invites annoy me, but usually as soon as a person sends me 1 game or application invite, I change their settings so they aren't permitted to send me any more invites. Problem solved.

If you lock the profile down enough and impose a stringent set of rules, it does not become an annoyance.
    Ive done all this but its all the photos with '1 Like = a dollar donated' it does my head in that people fool for these things.

On my news feed I only see my main circle of friends but even then Facebook likes to slip in other people. I used G+ to follow Buisness's, brands and people as none of my friends use it but even the companies are starting to do my head in!

Thank Post
    Thats the trouble with FB I think, its gone now that they are far too intefering now into your information and how its displayed and interacted with, countless times they forced changes on the user and I noticed myself that it has even started suggesting random strangers as friends when I was on there last (majority of them seemed to look like worrying/serial killer types when I was on last ).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,697 Posts
    The one that bugged me was when FB started recommending people as friends who I only knew socially through here and Google+. I don't have their email addresses or anything. That stopped within a couple of weeks, but I'd sill like to know how/why it happens. Needless to say, my privacy settings in both FB and G+ are pretty tight and I NEVER use FB to log into any other site on principle!

Thank Post
    I rarely use facebook or google+, and I've only just recently dipped my toe into Linkedin.

My personal twitter account has a handful of followers and is mainly pictures of the cat, however my professional account (@IrritableTech) is very different. I've connected with so many people within the industry, education and eSafety. I can't possibly convey just how useful it is in my line of work. Work at twitter for a week, and it will reward you for months.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    I rarely use facebook or google+, and I've only just recently dipped my toe into Linkedin.

My personal twitter account has a handful of followers and is mainly pictures of the cat, however my professional account (@IrritableTech) is very different. I've connected with so many people within the industry, education and eSafety. I can't possibly convey just how useful it is in my line of work. Work at twitter for a week, and it will reward you for months.
    how do you mean work at Twitter?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use Twitter as it's quick, low bandwidth and works from my phone (I used to update via SMS due to poor mobile Internet). It also allows me to remain under alias hence a few rant tweets now and then. Most of my friends are on Twitter so I use it to keep in touch with them.

G+ I am more careful with what I post as is uses my RL name and I find it to be quite mature. I can also segregate posts so only friends can see some posts. Less annoying garbage but few people use it, probably why! A number of professional types and geekier celebs have been posting on it too, G+ seems to be attracting a more mature if minute audience.

Facebook I am thinking of scrapping. It overtakes people's lives, I had a relationship where "It isn't official until it's on Facebook" and it caused no end of trouble. Nothing but bad experiences with it and full of garbage, scams and malware. The FB bubble has burst and it's slid downhill rapidly. You could say it has gone from a social platform to a marketing one since every business has a Facebook page (and they all want you to "Like" them, such as that GPS bar competition on Yorkies!).

Thank Post
    I never got Twitter. I have no interesting in following somebody; I'm not interested in reading random things like "Cats.", "mais will always come first." or "FOOOOOD." All of these were tweeted this morning by followers of the college twitter feed. We use this to send out important messages like "College closed because of snow." I see it as the equivalent of scribbling on the toilet wall; you stop doing it when you're out of your teens. I use Facebook to see what's happening with my friends in other parts of the world, where I'm more of a lurker than a poster. The college uses Facebook to post a list of calendar events which are open to the public.

Thank Post
    I have a linked in profile, an FB account and G+. I use twitter professionally.

I use FB almost constantly, i use G+ only to connect with my friends who have left FB, and my linked in only gets checked when I get a notification from it. I am becoming frustrated with facebook suggested posts and pages as they are so irrelevant it hurts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post

I follow you but I am also interested in how you work at Twitter - how do people find your tweets? What do you do to maximise things? I am keen to use it more effectively but currently I just follow a few people I admire.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast