+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Social Media annoyance in General; Originally Posted by AMLightfoot This behaviour is precisely the reason I haven't made more of an effort to understand twitter. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    This behaviour is precisely the reason I haven't made more of an effort to understand twitter. Twitter can be a vicious, spiteful medium that allows users to bully and vilify other users for having an opinion that differs from their own, and because it is 'public' in the sense that people can pass on and retweet and tag usernames in posts even if they don't know them, a lot of harm can be done. It certainly can be a GREAT tool to connect with people you wouldn't otherwise have done @aerospacemango is a great example, but it is too easy for people to make someone a target of hate.
    This can be done on any social network now with the introduction of sharing on facebook.

I for one last night removed about 90 people that annoyed me/havent spoken to at all from adding on facebook.

Im still got more to go but im not really sure why im removing people as id much rather just remove the account but my family around the country use it to upload pictures of my niece and nephew plus other family members.

Twitter Isnt going for me yet as like aerospacemago I do have a few followers that are more famous than darius danesh but not many! I find companies use twitter more to announce news etc.

Thank Post
    This behaviour is precisely the reason I haven't made more of an effort to understand twitter. Twitter can be a vicious, spiteful medium that allows users to bully and vilify other users for having an opinion that differs from their own, and because it is 'public' in the sense that people can pass on and retweet and tag usernames in posts even if they don't know them, a lot of harm can be done. It certainly can be a GREAT tool to connect with people you wouldn't otherwise have done @aerospacemango is a great example, but it is too easy for people to make someone a target of hate.
    Which, with rose tinted specs on, means that twitter should be a self censoring/regulating medium...

Ahem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's funny, but I generally only follow people with similar likes (QPR and IT) and a few famous people who I like. I'm not that desperate to read their missives that I scroll through my timeline. Most of the time, I miss 90% of tweets from people I follow because I don't have that kind of time!

However, there are times when you can have some fantastic interaction across the web, and enjoy a good twitter conversation. You DO need to put the effort in, and it can be rewarding, but you also have to have a fairly healthy outlook on life in the first place.

(That is all just an opinion by the way!!!!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktech View Post
    Which, with rose tinted specs on, means that twitter should be a self censoring/regulating medium...

Ahem.
    I think that twitter USERS should be self censoring/regulating.

It's really not that difficult, and doesn't require rose-tinted spectacles at all!

5. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

Oaktech (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    You guys probably already know about this @AMLightfoot @GrumbleDook but here it is anyways its a website that allows you to check 159 social sites simultaneously to see if a names been taken or not.

Check Username Availability at Multiple Social Networking Sites

Enjoy.

Me I dont use Facebook or anything because I have seen what it does to some people so I stay away (Seen people lose jobs over it, friends breaking up over trivial matters etc). I am however thinking of creating a twitter account so i can follow tech news etc which i can see as being useful as oppose to actually tweeting on it.
    I have used it before but found it increasingly inaccurate as a number of the available services are taken, it gets a little confused about case sensitive searches and it really annoyed me spending ages going through them all to find that a few didn't even allow you a specific username anymore as you *had* to log in via FaceBook!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I have used it before but found it increasingly inaccurate as a number of the available services are taken, it gets a little confused about case sensitive searches and it really annoyed me spending ages going through them all to find that a few didn't even allow you a specific username anymore as you *had* to log in via FaceBook!!!
    I like the ones that make you log in with facebook - means less blimmin accounts to keep track of! Less accounts mean less passwords, less passwords mean less possibility of someone accessing stuff they shouldn't by 'hacking' a forgotton account. On the flip side: single point of failure. Guess it depends on how confident you are that your facebook password is secure...
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 23rd October 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts

I like the ones that make you log in with facebook - means less blimmin accounts to keep track of! Less accounts mean less passwords, less passwords mean less possibility of someone accessing stuff they shouldn't by 'hacking' a forgotton account. On the flip side: single point of failure. Guess it depends on how confident you are that your facebook password is secure...
    I'm so bl**dy paranoid about facebook invading my privacy that I won't let facebook log me into anything else on principle. I don't trust facebook.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Guess it depends on how confident you are that your facebook password is secure...
    I'm super confident. [<3 Lastpass]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I'm so bl**dy paranoid about facebook invading my privacy that I won't let facebook log me into anything else on principle. I don't trust facebook.
    You all know me and my tin-hat feelings about Google - I don't feel hugely different about Facebook, but as far as I'm concerned it's a case of 'better the devil you know' - I'd rather have 1 untrustworthy source raiding my personal info than separate accounts on 6, 7, 8, 9, eleventy-gajillion sites that I lose track of. At least if it's a case of logging in with Facebook, I've only registered with one place rather than several. Yes, adding the app or allowing on facebook does let them share data with the host site, but at the same time they are still going to consider that data their property and so will protect you by proxy even if it is only to maintain propietary ownership of the info they are sharing.

I can't say I trust ANY site I have an account on - you CAN'T trust ANY site - even Aviva wind me up by not letting me opt out of marketing when I take out a policy, I have to phone up separately, so I'd rather 'Not trust' a few than many.

Thank Post
    I use Facebook sparingly, with security on, minimal info supplied... if correct at that, just to see what my children are up to, Twitter the same and I do not link my phone onto any site. I stopped giving my mobile number out when taking insurance policies out.
    I'm not paranoid, I just can't help it if everyone is out to get me....
    Last edited by NikChillin; 23rd October 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    how do you mean work at Twitter?
    Twitter takes time & effort to find useful people. With a bit of searching, you can soon find interesting people & organisations to follow. Following football players, celebrities and the lead singer of the latest boy band is probably going to get very boring, very quickly unless you enjoy celeb gossip anyway.

I set up a 'professional' twitter account around a year ago when I became more interested and involved with eSafety, our digital footprints and trying to teach students responsible net use. I was worried about the negative side of twitter, but couldn't honestly say I knew enough about the site on which to form my negative opinion.

I attended a conference with presentations from award winning teachers, eLearning and eSafety experts. One thing (I think all) they had in common, was that they all used twitter, to connect to other teachers, and experts. I started following these people (still do) and looking at who they followed and connected with and started following some of them too.

I'm grateful for the fact that today, I may only have 350 ish followers, but I believe they include some of the worlds top eSafety organisations and experts, the best teachers in the country, and some of the most helpful techies twitter has to offer. In return, I follow many of them back for their insightful, useful and interesting comments, thoughts and most crucially, links.

Technology is not bad. Twitter is not bad, although it does have it's fair share of bad users. Facebook probably has the same percentage of bad users posting horrible status', but facebook is set up to be (or users have made it) a more closed community. You hide your stuff from people on facebook, most users broadcast it on twitter. If you don't befriend people who say horrible things in real life, you're less likely to see it on facebook.

Following the #xfactor hashtag on a Saturday night is not always very pleasant viewing. People can be horrible, and perhaps the 'non real name' culture of twitter has helped people say things they might not otherwise. We need to somehow reach out, and educate the people abusing the technology to help reduce this negative side. But if you follow things like #UKedchat, #EduTech, #eSafety and #Edugeek you will find lots of great people sharing wonderful things all for free.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit. You all switched off after the first 140 characters didn't you?

13. Thanks to IrritableTech from:

hardtailstar (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    No, thanks for that
    But as I never get the chance to attend conferences I am at a loss as to how to find people on twitter
    I dont follow anyone that I dont find interesting but that is as far as it goes at the moment

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IrritableTech View Post
    Twitter takes time & effort to find useful people. With a bit of searching, you can soon find interesting people & organisations to follow. Following football players, celebrities and the lead singer of the latest boy band is probably going to get very boring, very quickly unless you enjoy celeb gossip anyway.

I set up a 'professional' twitter account around a year ago when I became more interested and involved with eSafety, our digital footprints and trying to teach students responsible net use. I was worried about the negative side of twitter, but couldn't honestly say I knew enough about the site on which to form my negative opinion.

I attended a conference with presentations from award winning teachers, eLearning and eSafety experts. One thing (I think all) they had in common, was that they all used twitter, to connect to other teachers, and experts. I started following these people (still do) and looking at who they followed and connected with and started following some of them too.

I'm grateful for the fact that today, I may only have 350 ish followers, but I believe they include some of the worlds top eSafety organisations and experts, the best teachers in the country, and some of the most helpful techies twitter has to offer. In return, I follow many of them back for their insightful, useful and interesting comments, thoughts and most crucially, links.

Technology is not bad. Twitter is not bad, although it does have it's fair share of bad users. Facebook probably has the same percentage of bad users posting horrible status', but facebook is set up to be (or users have made it) a more closed community. You hide your stuff from people on facebook, most users broadcast it on twitter. If you don't befriend people who say horrible things in real life, you're less likely to see it on facebook.

Following the #xfactor hashtag on a Saturday night is not always very pleasant viewing. People can be horrible, and perhaps the 'non real name' culture of twitter has helped people say things they might not otherwise. We need to somehow reach out, and educate the people abusing the technology to help reduce this negative side. But if you follow things like #UKedchat, #EduTech, #eSafety and #Edugeek you will find lots of great people sharing wonderful things all for free.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit. You all switched off after the first 140 characters didn't you?
    thanks, I gave you a follower.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123