+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Social Media annoyance in General; I try to have accounts on everything, mainly so that I can grab and protect 'grumbledook' where I can. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I try to have accounts on everything, mainly so that I can grab and protect 'grumbledook' where I can.

I agree that you have to work at twitter to see what the benefits are, but I also think that you have to make a decision about how you use it ... I use mine mainly for professional stuff, or the odd public chat about personal areas which people I am professionally connected (or even friends with). I do have a separate protected account for personal things which is very infrequently used.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I try to have accounts on everything, mainly so that I can grab and protect 'grumbledook' where I can.
    Funnily enough I do exactly the same thing with my 'proper' avatar. I'm very protective of it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Any one else getting annoyed by the whole social media thing?

I used to be an avid user but now it annoys me ive started not using it, I still use Twitter as that is one thing that isnt annoying for me. I used to use Facebook, G+, Four square
    Other half lives on Facebook and some times twits.

I have both but I rarely check twitter - I find some stuff interesting but as far facebook I check it once a day or a week.

Only thing I find annoying is now people cant even have jokes on it all without being prosecuted. I lie there I dont find it annoying I find it beyond disgusting that people are being sentenced left right and centre for what they put on these compared to real criminals who do real harm.

But Hey ho - in the words of Al Murray "The world is getting sillier"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Funnily enough I do exactly the same thing with my 'proper' avatar. I'm very protective of it.
    You guys probably already know about this @AMLightfoot @GrumbleDook but here it is anyways its a website that allows you to check 159 social sites simultaneously to see if a names been taken or not.

Check Username Availability at Multiple Social Networking Sites

Enjoy.

Me I dont use Facebook or anything because I have seen what it does to some people so I stay away (Seen people lose jobs over it, friends breaking up over trivial matters etc). I am however thinking of creating a twitter account so i can follow tech news etc which i can see as being useful as oppose to actually tweeting on it.

5. Thanks to north-ict from:

AMLightfoot (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    You guys probably already know about this @AMLightfoot @GrumbleDook but here it is anyways its a website that allows you to check 159 social sites simultaneously to see if a names been taken or not.

Enjoy.
    Hmmm. Who are these other elsiegee40s? Most of them aren't me!

I tend to take the opposite approach. I have different identities on different forums! The real me often has a tortoise though
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 23rd October 2012 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries

Enjoy.
    If only that had a "register name with all" option.

8. Thanks to X-13 from:

hardtailstar (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post

Enjoy.

Me I dont use Facebook or anything because I have seen what it does to some people so I stay away (Seen people lose jobs over it, friends breaking up over trivial matters etc). I am however thinking of creating a twitter account so i can follow tech news etc which i can see as being useful as oppose to actually tweeting on it.
    I wasn't aware of that site as it happens. Thank you :-) I'm now going to obsessively check it daily! lol

Update: There are only 2 or 3 uses of my avatar that I am not aware of and can't remember making and most of these are probably not real responses as when I try to visit them I get 'page cannot be found'. Phew.
    Last edited by AMLightfoot; 23rd October 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BLARGH!

The Youtube name I want is gone. [Ironically, taken by me back in the day.]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The REAL uses of social media....

Yes I use Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, and Twitter! I also had myspace back in the day, and all but one use of "aerospacemango" is mine! (Who else would think to use it?????)

Anyway, Facebook is for keeping in touch with close friends, and people I work with, or have worked with. Twitter is for general chat and finding out "stuff"!

Strangely, I am falling out of love with ALL social media, but twitter will be the last to go. Why? I hear you ask! Twitter has been very good to me! I have 600+ followers and these include some famous people. This has paid off in the most unexpected ways.....

18 months ago, my brother-in-law died suddenly. In the months that followed, twitter became a highly friendly place with some people going above and beyond the call of duty. For instance..... a very well known comic, and writer on "Have I Got News For You" contacted me and offered me Gold tickets for a recording of the show. I passed these on to my sister, to give some cheer in a dreadful time. He took my sister and her guest into the studio to meet and greet, then gave them front-row seats. Finally, he took them into the green room for the after show party. Top man! But none of this would have happened without twitter!

Next, my sister put together a memorial day for her late husband. This included a pool competition and an auction of donated stuff. One of my followers, a player at QPR, contacted me and offered a shirt that was signed by the first team squad. I was gob-smacked and immediately said yes! That shirt was the star of the auction (Yes! Really!) and sold for 290. (Coincidentally to my future (and now) wife). The comedian also donated a signed script for "A League Of Their Own" (Sky sports quiz) and this also made a decent amount of money.

I will defend social media to the end, as my experiences show that it CAN be a force for good..... but it very much depends on how YOU use it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I deleted my Facebook account a couple of years ago, but I still look at my girlfriend's if I need a laugh. What makes me laugh especially is how desperate everyone is to look popular, posting up picture after picture of them gurning drunken and bleary-eyed at a camera or vomiting outside a chippy on a night out surrounded by a load of 'friends' pointing and laughing. Freshers Week seems a particularly bad time for this kind of picture posting.

I do like Twitter but hardly follow any famous people anymore. I use it as a tool to follow people with the same interests as me who I can really admire. I used to follow celebrities like Graham Linehan but in real life that man is a complete a*sehole. Another celebrity up his own backside that can't take criticism but can sure as hell give it.
    Last edited by basicchannel; 23rd October 2012 at 11:09 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by basicchannel View Post
    I deleted my Facebook account a couple of years ago, but I still look at my girlfriend's if I need a laugh. What makes me laugh especially is how desperate everyone is to look popular, posting up picture after picture of them gurning drunken and bleary-eyed at a camera or vomiting outside a chippy on a night out surrounded by a load of 'friends' pointing and laughing. Freshers Week seems a particularly bad time for this kind of picture posting.

I do like Twitter but hardly follow any famous people anymore. I use it as a tool to follow people with the same interests as me who I can really admire. I used to follow celebrities like Graham Linehan but in real life that man is a complete a*sehole. Another celebrity up his own backside that can't take criticism but can sure as hell give it.
    I take it that you're basing that on sitting down and having a pint with him, and not on what he says/does on twitter??

People can be what they want to be....and I will always try to be polite, and pretty normal. I will not use twitter to offend or bully. (Unless I'm trying to offend or bully my little brother...but then he's 40 and can take it!!)

Why should you assume he's a complete a*sehole when you may never have met him? I just unfollow people that get on my wick....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I take it that you're basing that on sitting down and having a pint with him, and not on what he says/does on twitter??
    I'd love to sit and have a pint with him but I don't think it's ever gonna happen (unless you have connections? Perhaps he follows you?), so i'll have to base my perceptions of him on his Twitter conduct.

See below:

Finger-Steepling and Sharks: A Look at the Conduct of Graham Linehan and Steven Moffat on Twitter

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to sit and have a pint with him but I don't think it's ever gonna happen (unless you have connections? Perhaps he follows you?), so i'll have to base my perceptions of him on his Twitter conduct.

See below:

Finger-Steepling and Sharks: A Look at the Conduct of Graham Linehan and Steven Moffat on Twitter
    Ahhhhh.... I see what you did there!

You've used your scepticism about my post to make it clear that you think it's a load of hogwash.

That is your choice, of course, and though I do not agree with everything that @glinner writes on twitter, I note that he does go in for a good cause or two. It is indeed an interesting article that you have sourced, as it makes some very valid points about "celebs" and their little gangs of knowing nods and winks. I could point you in the direction of some people who generally have no interaction with "normal" people, but are very busy congratulating each other on the latest item/book/show..... However, I fear that this would lead to a certain amount of frothy mouth anger!

Thank Post

See below:

This behaviour is precisely the reason I haven't made more of an effort to understand twitter. Twitter can be a vicious, spiteful medium that allows users to bully and vilify other users for having an opinion that differs from their own, and because it is 'public' in the sense that people can pass on and retweet and tag usernames in posts even if they don't know them, a lot of harm can be done. It certainly can be a GREAT tool to connect with people you wouldn't otherwise have done @aerospacemango is a great example, but it is too easy for people to make someone a target of hate.

17. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

aerospacemango (23rd October 2012)

Thank Post

Enjoy.

I never even knew most of those 'networking' sites existed.

No wonder I don't have many friends.

I feel so left out.

Not.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast