+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Coffee and Laptops in General; Although accidents do happen I guess people are more carefull when theyv'e actually paid for the equipment themselves....

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Although accidents do happen I guess people are more carefull when theyv'e actually paid for the equipment themselves.

Thank Post
    I saw an Army demo, a Panasonic Rugged Laptop being used as a bat in a cricket game with a real cricket ball, laptop last 6 overs before it broke the screen,

Thank Post
    I killed a keyboard with a pint of Ribena once. I have also dropped an XDA smartphone into a large vanilla latte. My latest failure was to spill tea over a brand new laptop. It still worked but the keys were sticky, so I replaced the keyboard.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I have also dropped an XDA smartphone into a large vanilla latte..
    you are clearly a disaster happening, but how on earth did you manage this one!

Thank Post
    I was given a laptop to repair in a previous job where the owners very young daughter had a slight accident over it involving the contents of a nappy!!! Very little I could do with it as the mainboard had been toasted and the hard drive too!! The smell was unique if I recall.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    you are clearly a disaster happening, but how on earth did you manage this one!
    LOL. I was working as a rep and we were given those fat, clunky XDAs with windows mobile on it, but the thing was really unwieldy and the slidy keyboard was quite 'keen'. I regularly lunched at an M&S cafe and their vanilla lattes were lovely, so while lunching and enjoying my vanilla latte, I was checking my email and filling in my compliance report holding said clunky phone over my cup of coffee (yes, poor decision) and the overly keen slidy keyboard closed itself back up and I fumbled and dropped the phone. Kersploosh... Fizzle...

Thank Post
    I have so many photos that I could post here... laptops with holes through the lids (tough thinkpad lids!), hinges snapped clean off (again, the tough metal thinkpad ones), keys stuck back on with blu-tack (wtf?), strange corrosive liquids on the underside of laptop keyboards... I could go on!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holyoakej View Post
    I saw an Army demo, a Panasonic Rugged Laptop being used as a bat in a cricket game with a real cricket ball, laptop last 6 overs before it broke the screen,
    FIND ME THIS VIDEO, NOW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I killed a keyboard with a pint of Ribena once. I have also dropped an XDA smartphone into a large vanilla latte. My latest failure was to spill tea over a brand new laptop. It still worked but the keys were sticky, so I replaced the keyboard.
    Actually yes, I have done this too, it was in Nero so a huge bowl like cup, in went my original HTC trnity 100

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by holyoakej View Post
    We used to have them when i worked at BT, they tested them by getting the jointers (massive 18 stone brutes) to throw them as hard as they could at walls & floors, dropped them off telegraph poles and even rolled over them with a tranny van. Still worked!

Thank Post
    We've lost a laptop to being wee-ed on (srs.)

...Go back to your drinks/lunch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    We've lost a laptop to being wee-ed on (srs.)

...Go back to your drinks/lunch.
    Doesn't count if it was a pet or potty training child ;P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    I have worked in my school for 6 years now and until last week had, suprisingly, never had a staff laptop with coffee spilled on it. Now we have had 2, one totally dead and one that we left to dry and actually still works, all be it smelling of tesco's finest roast!

How common is this? Do we just had a particularly clumsy set of staff this year?

Also, I post safe in the knowledge the worst thing I have ever done was spill a pot noodle onto a desktop keyboard, which still works today!!!!
    I have had a student bring me their laptop that had a drink spilt on it but instead of bringing it straight to me she had tried to sort the problem herself. After asking her why the entire one side of the keyboard had melted together she then admitted she had used a hairdryer to try and cure the problem which had melted all the keys on one side!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12