+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, This is why you don't use Apple Consumer Grade Gear in Schools in General; I did see this on the sun, made me laugh the fact the students got booted out. As for the ...
    Thank Post
    I did see this on the sun, made me laugh the fact the students got booted out.

As for the Apple gizmo feeling - most staff just think "Buy it, open the box and use it". To be honest we never considered here that an iPad could easily access that on some ones iPhone. Does make you wonder. Goes back to the notion of tightening down access on the iPads for students.

Still..... you have to laugh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing myself. Unless there is more to this than is being reported, it seems like there is very little to blame on students at this point. Of course, we don't know if any of them did anything else with the photo (such as making copies or forwarding it).
    Apparently they didn't forward it and it was the student(s) that reported it, at least thats what one of the student said anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    I did see this on the sun,
    Ha! Something like this could only ever be in The Sun couldn't it?

Students being blamed = ridiculous, unless there's more to it
    Apple being slated = "You went full retard man. Never go full retard"
    Teacher being blamed = Meh.

Poor woman may have just forgotten she had it on there, not that I'm making excuses. It is a bit bl**dy stupid to bring a photo or more like that to the workplace, especially if in education! But of course, society can't go on without blame-games. Humans will never rest until they get an answer that satisfies them, they have to get the bottom of it. (Doctor Who - S02:E09 - The Satan Pit: "So when it comes right down to it. Why did you come here? Why did you that? Why? I'll tell you why. Because it was there. Humans, brilliant!")

And here I am, ranting about some very small things she had on sho--.. wait, something very smal-- this is getting worse. The only other thing I can assume she left it on her phone is because she fancies one of the teachers and flirts with them... or am I the only one?
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 19th October 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Did the Sun publish photos???

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Did the Sun publish photos???
    MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY

I expect that French magazine will do, if they can do it with royals they can do it with anybody!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Is anyone else bothered that the article insists on adding an 'h' to 'synch' and 'synched'?

I know it's not a big deal, but it just... irks me a bit!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dayzd View Post
    Is anyone else bothered that the article insists on adding an 'h' to 'synch' and 'synched'?

I know it's not a big deal, but it just... irks me a bit!
    I think you will find that 'synched' is a perfectly reasonable and known antonym for 'synced'. The latter is used more in the computer industry but the former is not wrong.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I think you will find that 'synched' is a perfectly reasonable and known antonym for 'synced'. The latter is used more in the computer industry but the former is not wrong.
    @witch, were you Wizadora by any chance? I loved that language-teaching show, and the resemblance of characters is very alike (Witch, Wizard)

Either way whenever I see a post from you lecturing about languages and correct use of words, I'm going to quote it with the theme tune.

Personally, I've always been aware of the 'sync + synch' thing, I've just never used the latter before. And I don't intend to! *crosses arms*
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 19th October 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    To be honest we never considered here that an iPad could easily access that on some ones iPhone. Does make you wonder. Goes back to the notion of tightening down access on the iPads for students.
    That's just it, unless I'm missing something, you can't! Either a user has to explicitly enable tethering without any password protection or a user has to explicitly set the two devices up to use the same iTunes account and sync them. Nothing "easy" from an accidental point of view, and definitely requires a certain level of human intervention and will power.

As always blame the humans - the tech is flawless (It's built by Apple - so it's got to be!)

Sure there is an issue if you set up 30 iPads, for student use, on the same account and one of them missuses the camera... (still an end user issue though!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd be blaming the IT dept for not educating their users...
    It's my understanding that having technical staff in a US public school is quite rare. Centralised support is provided at the school district level (roughly equivalent to the LA), but in individual schools, teachers are very much left to fend for themselves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    @[U]witch[/UEither way whenever I see a post from you lecturing about languages and correct use of words, I'm going to quote it with the theme tune.
    Lecturing? LECTURING???? I was just responding on a point of information. Personally I would used 'synced' when talking geek,and 'synched' in other contexts - eg 'lip-synching'. Lip-syncing just sounds wrong.
    I wasn't Wizadora, but as she was young and pretty - (wrong hair colour though) I'll let you off.

Thank Post
    Mwuhahah, perhaps the wrong choice of wording there? Sorry miss! (typical school child, using miss regardless of being married or otherwise - do you 'lecture' them as well for calling you 'miss'? ) - Yeah, I suppose it's just personal preference on what looks better with the h. I'll admit I prefer the 'look' of lip-synching to lip-syncing, but then I prefer 'Sync to this device' rather than 'Synch to this device' etc.. or I'm just mentally disturbed for being attracted to the look of words o_o

Also, haha. Young and Pretty?
    http://wizadoraskitchen.webs.com/Wendy%20Van%20Der%20Plank%20Then.jpg

... okie dokie! ;D

Thank Post
    I didn't say she didn't look mad, did I?
    (I was at college with a relative of hers - a cousin, I think, and I met her once)
    As for whether the children call me Miss - actually I find that they call me Mrs
    Which is also wrong, as I am actually Ms
    Do I care?
    Nope!

Thank Post
    Good point, I think that's the only time she did though.. although the costumes were awful (good ol' 90s)

Haha wow, I expect not a lot of kids these days know about 'Ms' - it's not really that common anymore D: - Whaaaat, my teachers practically flipped bricks if you called them Miss instead of Mrs, like you'd trampled on a sentimental value of theirs!

I have the wrong impression of people, clearly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12